MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Brake judder (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/693563-brake-judder.html)

Mario w213 12-17-2019 04:36 AM

Did somebody had this problem solved and can let me know what was causing brake judder please ??

Egonvdv 12-17-2019 07:56 AM

Did you read the thread...?

kingscorpian27 12-27-2019 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mario w213 (Post 7929304)
Did somebody had this problem solved and can let me know what was causing brake judder please ??

I had all 4 rotors replaced and that did seemed to have solved the issue. Unfortunately I started feeling it slightly again. I was at the dealer yesterday again and this time they are telling me it’s the tires. Of course I am very skeptical since I purchased the tires from Costco and not MB. The tires are only 8 months old with a little over 6,000 miles. I ended up purchasing 4 new non-run flat tires from MB to be installed on Monday. If this continues then there is nothing they can tell me

First I was told I had bent rims because they were aftermarket. Replaced the aftermarket rims with the OEM ones and still had the same issue. That’s when the rotors were replaced costing over $800 for the 2 rear. They had done the front and had not changed me by mistake, that’s what they said.

I will post another update either way once they are installed and I get a chance to see what the outcome is

jhpmbusa 12-28-2019 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27 (Post 7937505)
I had all 4 rotors replaced and that did seemed to have solved the issue. Unfortunately I started feeling it slightly again. I was at the dealer yesterday again and this time they are telling me it’s the tires. Of course I am very skeptical since I purchased the tires from Costco and not MB. The tires are only 8 months old with a little over 6,000 miles. I ended up purchasing 4 new non-run flat tires from MB to be installed on Monday. If this continues then there is nothing they can tell me

First I was told I had bent rims because they were aftermarket. Replaced the aftermarket rims with the OEM ones and still had the same issue. That’s when the rotors were replaced costing over $800 for the 2 rear. They had done the front and had not changed me by mistake, that’s what they said.

I will post another update either way once they are installed and I get a chance to see what the outcome is

New tires??? at 6k miles.....will they be refundable? Obviously, it will probably turn out not to be the tires.

kingscorpian27 12-28-2019 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7937663)
New tires??? at 6k miles.....will they be refundable? Obviously, it will probably turn out not to be the tires.

They were purchased at Costco and I will be receiving a full refund once I have the new ones installed. MB service department had the car in dyno mode on the lift and I was able to see tire hopping. Hopefully this is the last issue and it will be finally resolved. It is very frustrating to say the least

jhpmbusa 12-28-2019 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27 (Post 7937670)
They were purchased at Costco and I will be receiving a full refund once I have the new ones installed. MB service department had the car in dyno mode on the lift and I was able to see tire hopping. Hopefully this is the last issue and it will be finally resolved. It is very frustrating to say the least

I think its funny they blamed the tires for the hopping....if they knew those tires were from them they will say the tire hopping is from the rim.

I had them perform the same method on my car and they said the hopping was from a bent rim. I took it to my local mechanic and had him replace the "supposedly" bent rim with a straight one and found no difference whatsoever.

To be honest, when you saw the wheel hopping, can you really tell what was causing it? Did they say all 4 tires were doing it or did they only point to one or two? When you get the tires from MB installed, ask if they can perform the same test while you are there so you can see if there is absolutely no "hopping".

If you find no difference while driving afterwards, have them take their tires back and put the Costco ones back on.... it will probably be easier than trying to get Costco to cough up a refund after driving on them for 8 months and doesn't seem right for MB to make another "sale" out of this opportunity.

kingscorpian27 12-28-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7937682)
I think its funny they blamed the tires for the hopping....if they knew those tires were from them they will say the tire hopping is from the rim.

I had them perform the same method on my car and they said the hopping was from a bent rim. I took it to my local mechanic and had him replace the "supposedly" bent rim with a straight one and found no difference whatsoever.

To be honest, when you saw the wheel hopping, can you really tell what was causing it? Did they say all 4 tires were doing it or did they only point to one or two? When you get the tires from MB installed, ask if they can perform the same test while you are there so you can see if there is absolutely no "hopping".

If you find no difference while driving afterwards, have them take their tires back and put the Costco ones back on.... it will probably be easier than trying to get Costco to cough up a refund after driving on them for 8 months and doesn't seem right for MB to make another "sale" out of this opportunity.

I saw it on all 4 tires and asked them what would they have said if I had purchased the tires from them. They said the would have replaced them. You had a great idea to have them perform the same test for me with the new tires from them. I could have purchased the same tires from Costco that they are selling me and it would have been a lot less expensive. I am only doing this for peace of mind and so they can no longer point the fingers at anyone but themselves

jhpmbusa 12-28-2019 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27 (Post 7937702)
I saw it on all 4 tires and asked them what would they have said if I had purchased the tires from them. They said the would have replaced them. You had a great idea to have them perform the same test for me with the new tires from them. I could have purchased the same tires from Costco that they are selling me and it would have been a lot less expensive. I am only doing this for peace of mind and so they can no longer point the fingers at anyone but themselves

haha yep! I have a weird feeling that if you have any tires just spin in mid air at certain speeds you will see it hop...sort of a like an illusion... it can be anything from the tires being dirty or various reasons.. and isn't that the reason why they get balanced with weights?

I find it really suspect that "ALL" 4 of the tires would be defective.....just amazing....

And if in fact all 4 tires are hopping, I would think its the suspension causing it to wear improperly... so long story short - i really think the suspension, brakes, steering, and engine on the e300 is poorly designed and the car just drives like crap.... The car in general never feels whole and there is just so much unnecessary feedback and vibrations that even much cheaper cars just do not produce.

Mr. J 12-29-2019 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 50thae (Post 7656553)
Just my two cents worth, but your problem may not be warped rotors. If you drive in hot climates or very hilly areas, or if you drive very aggressively, you may be simply melting pad material onto your rotor. It is a common problem that is easily misdiagnosed by dealerships. I have had the same problem on my vette in the past and found that I could simply steel-wool the pad material off of the rotor and the judder went away. Often, you can see the actual outline of the pad on the rotor.

If you get the rotors very hot and then stop, holding the pad in the same spot on the rotor, the pad can leave a melted deposit on that part of the rotor. It doesn't seem like much, but it can be felt in the brake peddle as the typical thump, thump, thump when you apply the brakes. I found that if you continue to creep slowly forward a little (not fully stopping) after a very hard stop you can avoid uneven deposits. Of course this depends on the situation. After spending 30 years in West Texas, melted brake pad material on the rotors became an issue we learned quite a bit about.

Runout and cracks can also cause this feeling, but melted pad material is probably the most common.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/...yths-debunked/
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/te...ed-rotor-myth/
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
In hopes I am not violating any forum rules, I am adding a link to a article that better explains this.

Added a couple more articles. They are interesting reading.

The automatic parking brake can also add to brake deposits. At the AMG Academy they specifically ask you to release the parking brake after opening the door every time you stop and change drivers.

Mbracer26 12-30-2019 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7937714)
haha yep! I have a weird feeling that if you have any tires just spin in mid air at certain speeds you will see it hop...sort of a like an illusion... it can be anything from the tires being dirty or various reasons.. and isn't that the reason why they get balanced with weights?

I find it really suspect that "ALL" 4 of the tires would be defective.....just amazing....

And if in fact all 4 tires are hopping, I would think its the suspension causing it to wear improperly... so long story short - i really think the suspension, brakes, steering, and engine on the e300 is poorly designed and the car just drives like crap.... The car in general never feels whole and there is just so much unnecessary feedback and vibrations that even much cheaper cars just do not produce.

Bingo! you nailed it!!!! the car was never fully developed. had a chevy malibu rental and it was a night and day difference on how much more stable and poised it was

seedy 01-10-2020 07:26 PM

I had the same issue here in the UK with my w213. Could it be to do with the auto brake function when your stopped? The one where you press the brake pedal to put the car in park? The reason i say this is that it was happening to me and i used the brake pedal function quite a bit. However after i got the brakes and disc changed and I very very rarely use the brake pedal function anymore and no probs so far

Egonvdv 01-11-2020 03:37 AM

made appointment for a service B and insisted they change the discs under warranty.
dealer is refusing. I said I do not accept this as for 2.5 years the issue has never been resolved.
waiting a call back, but already know the answer.
8 more months until I change...hopefully won't have the same problem with the next one..

jhpmbusa 01-13-2020 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27 (Post 7937702)

Any updates? Thanks!

kingscorpian27 01-13-2020 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7951904)
Any updates? Thanks!

Tires returned to Costco and new tires purchased from Mercedes. Haven’t driven the car enough or and on the highway as yet. However so far I haven’t felt what was driving me crazy as yet so hopefully it’s been resolved. I will update the post once I get a better chance to see what’s going on with it

jhpmbusa 02-05-2020 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27 (Post 7951907)
Tires returned to Costco and new tires purchased from Mercedes. Haven’t driven the car enough or and on the highway as yet. However so far I haven’t felt what was driving me crazy as yet so hopefully it’s been resolved. I will update the post once I get a better chance to see what’s going on with it

Whats the long term update? Any difference or slowly returning to the same state?

kingscorpian27 02-05-2020 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7972706)
Whats the long term update? Any difference or slowly returning to the same state?

It has been a month and I can say I do feel it a bit sometimes. Not bad but noticeable. I will continue to monitor before going back to the dealer. I will continue to post updates

3/13/2020
I have been back to the dealer a couple weeks ago and the said the rear rims were off balanced so they rebalanced them.

I honestly don’t think that was the issue because the issue is not gone. I just have not had a chance to do a highway drive where the feeling is more pronounced

georgecyprus 02-25-2020 04:04 AM

Wrapped brake discs for 6th time

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27 (Post 7972883)
It has been a month and I can say I do feel it a bit sometimes. Not bad but noticeable. I will continue to monitor before going back to the dealer. I will continue to post updates

I bought a second hand w205 amg line premium plus 2015 mb. I have my front brake discs changed with new ones for about 5 6 times doing all changes mb told me. I have changed calipers ,wheel hubs, bush , rims alignment ,I put brembo discs and pads and notching changes from wrapping the discs for every 600- 1500km driving. If anyone found a solution and have the same problem ,a little bit of advice is appreciated.

georgecyprus 02-25-2020 04:05 AM

Wrapped brake discs for 6th time

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27 (Post 7972883)

I bought a second hand w205 amg line premium plus 2015 mb. I have my front brake discs changed with new ones for about 5 6 times doing all changes mb told me. I have changed calipers ,wheel hubs, bush , rims alignment ,I put brembo discs and pads and notching changes from wrapping the discs for every 600- 1500km driving. If anyone found a solution and have the same problem ,a little bit of advice is appreciated.

Egonvdv 02-25-2020 06:09 AM

Sent email to mercedes France and they called me within 5 days
they said are going to contact the dealer to see what can be done….
i don't keep my hopes up...

dudley07726 03-13-2020 08:53 AM

Have a 2018 E400 with 11.6k (Purchased 12/17) on it and having the front rotors replaced under warranty due to warping. Purchased this car for the wife brand new and I never really drove it until my early retirement. Felt something was wrong as I stepped on the brake from a minimum of 40 MPH. Brakes had to warm up before noticing the problem. Dealer says he is doing me a favor as they usually do this with cars having under 10k miles and within 1 year old.

janchee 07-03-2020 04:13 PM

W213 Judder

I am on the same journey. Bought a 2016, 34k mile E220d estate. Premium plus with the AMG brakes.

Judder on the brakes after I started using the Distronic adaptive cruise. Mercedes charged £190 to diagnose and quoted £1000 for new discs/pads front and rear.

I bought the genuine parts and replaced the fronts myself. I also followed the Mercedes guidelines to the letter (got the manual from a friend who works in Mercedes)

5000 miles later. Judder returns.

E220d was in the Mercedes garage today for a wheel alignment and to investigate warranty claim on brake discs / pads. They visually inspected the discs and said nothing wrong with them (no measurements or anything). Put the car on the wheel alignment kit ... it was all IN SPEC. Yet adjusted the toe a tiny amount and charged me £190 for a four wheel alignment. Absolute joke.

I'll be selling this car and going back to BMW. Had this car for less than 5 months and had nothing but problems with the car, and the service quality! Both appauling!

kingscorpian27 07-03-2020 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dudley07726 (Post 8006427)
Have a 2018 E400 with 11.6k (Purchased 12/17) on it and having the front rotors replaced under warranty due to warping. Purchased this car for the wife brand new and I never really drove it until my early retirement. Felt something was wrong as I stepped on the brake from a minimum of 40 MPH. Brakes had to warm up before noticing the problem. Dealer says he is doing me a favor as they usually do this with cars having under 10k miles and within 1 year old.

It’s a common issue and MB refuses to do anything about it. Same here, they replaced my fronts but I was charged almost $900 for the rears. I was told after the fact that I should have been charged 50% on the fronts but since it was their mistake they would let it slide.

I have contacted MB Customer Service and was told unless enough owners report it MB will not do a recall. They said it’s documented by VIN# so I urge everyone to contact them and lodge a formal complaint

Egonvdv 07-04-2020 07:27 AM

MB says they are working on a better quality disc....

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...r-100km-7.html

Semry 05-22-2023 09:18 AM

Hello guys,
I have also same problem. After a long ride (1650km) in two days problems built up. Before trip I change tyres to Michelin Crossclimate 2 and check wheels, no problem at all. After cca 600km trip I noticed some little wheel shake on brakes on 120km/h speed and go worse. I drive usually all day on city (no problem) and Im no race driver (4l/100km) long trips. Car has only 20 000 km....

Poor brake service in MB or something else?

kingscorpian27 05-22-2023 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Semry (Post 8781990)
Hello guys,
I have also same problem. After a long ride (1650km) in two days problems built up. Before trip I change tyres to Michelin Crossclimate 2 and check wheels, no problem at all. After cca 600km trip I noticed some little wheel shake on brakes on 120km/h speed and go worse. I drive usually all day on city (no problem) and Im no race driver (4l/100km) long trips. Car has only 20 000 km....

Poor brake service in MB or something else?

I been having similar issues, a couple years ago they changed rotors, one set I had to pay for, I had to purchase 4 new tires and very little difference was noticeable. Now the issue is more obvious and it’s not at round town speeds.

Initially I thought it was the Distronic because that how the car is driven 90 + % of the time. It really doesn’t matter how the brakes are applied, it the same result. It’s very frustrating, all I want is to enjoy driving my car