E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2017 E Class Braking at Low Outside Temps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 300E
2017 E Class Braking at Low Outside Temps

Anyone familiar w/ 2017 E Class braking issues?--In temperatures near 0 degrees F, brakes on my car (5000 miles) squeal terribly for the first 15 minutes or so of driving when applying the brakes. Issue has only developed developed recently as the outside temps plunged.
Thank you in advance for any comments.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by johnmc1
Anyone familiar w/ 2017 E Class braking issues?--In temperatures near 0 degrees F, brakes on my car (5000 miles) squeal terribly for the first 15 minutes or so of driving when applying the brakes. Issue has only developed developed recently as the outside temps plunged.
My 2015 C Class use to do this too. Once it got cold the brakes would squeal but it didn't last more that a month or two.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,108 Likes on 729 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by johnmc1
On my C400 the squealed loudly the first couple of applications when cold. On my E43 they don't squeal at all.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 E63S
i have a W212 E550 and mine are also squealing loud at the beginning, and eventually it goes away after stop and go braking.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
merdeces s320
Sorry for the late update, been playing catchup since I got home.

The rest of the journey was a total nightmare. Next day the car water temp overheated within a few minutes of starting (despite it being well below freezing outside). Warned me to switch off engine which I did. I left it a while then restarted, drove a few hundred yards and same again. I figured there was no enough antifreeze and it was frozen up. Usually one would wait til it thaws, then go again, but this was not gonna happen for days or weeks. Do I figured eventually it would break through the ice in the radiator and hopefully not cause big damage on the way, so I persevered, let it all cool for a few minutes, restart, drive until it overheated. I must say I pissed off a lot of motorists but I was stuck and had to try to resolve this.

This went on for a couple of hours, I was frozen stiff as no heater. I did order some of the 12v cigar lighter heaters, went to the store to pick them up and the manager told me they were crap and to save the trouble. I pleaded that they must be better then nothing but she would not budge, said in 14 years there, that was the worst item they sold and she wished they would stop selling them. Said the best I could hope for was a blown fuse.

So back to the overheating, after some hours of cooling, starting, driving a little, overheating, stopping, then repeating the cycle, I watched the temp climb to 100, 110, then drop down to 80, I hoped that this has finally broken through the ice in the radiator, and my prayers were answered.

As soon as this happened temp went to 90 and stayed there. Later that day I drained the water/antifreeze in the radiator and refilled with new, wanting to assure to avoid this again.

After that is was just a fight to get back to Florida, the storm moved in and there were countless crashed on the interstate, I literally lost count of the number of crashed cars, even big semis slid off the road. Many people were going way to fast as the road was sheet ice by this point. There were stages where Police closed I95 due to the crashes.
Took almost 2 days of solid driving through accident slowdowns to get to savannah, that was the worst area. Took me 12 hours to cover 50 miles around Savannah GA.

All this time I was freezing, only saving grace was the seat heater, I had forgotten about that, that still worked OK, but I was so cold outside that it only warmed part of me, my hands and feet kept going numb so had to keep pulling off to go and warm them up.

After Georgia as I hit florida, the ice began to clear and the roads started to flow again, best of all the temperature began to climb above freezing.

Finally made it home. Was so fedup with the headaches that I put the car in the shop to hopefully have the heater core flushed out. If it needs a new one, then that will be my own fault.

Moral of this story is AVOID STOP LEAK, RAD WELD and any other quick fix. Its not worth the hassle in the long run.

Hope this helps someone in future.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E400 Wagon
This used to happen in my C230 - the MB mechanic told me get in the car floor it to about 120km/h then slam the breaks, repeat 2 or 3 times - it worked like charm. He told me the squealing was from dust and dirty breaks and this little procedure cleans them well enough to stop this. On the E400 I am not seeing this problem yet, but I do drive the cars quite hard, or rather I enjoy driving them well. It's been -26C here for a bit now but so far no noisy breaks yet.