E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2018 E400 Wagon 4Matic - which snow chain to use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 E350 Wagon
2018 E400 Wagon 4Matic - which snow chain to use?

I am from California and this is for the rare situation where CHP requires snow chain for trip to Lake Tahoe. This is for R3 level, where even 4X4 is required to have snow chain (http://www.dot.ca.gov/cttravel/chain-controls.html).

I have talked to many Mercedes dealer and even tried to email Mercedes directly (mbusa.com) but I can never get a straight answer. Some said just buy any snow chain, some said NOT to use snow chain and just use snow tires and some said don't drive the car where it's on R3 level (?!). Mbusa.com recommended RUD but there is no RUD dealer in the USA.

So what do you guys use?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Rud USA sales@rudchain.com 800.553.7993
Old 01-27-2018, 01:07 AM

2016 E350 Wagon
While waiting for RUD to respond, can anyone share their experiences on using snow chain or cable on a E-class 4Matic? Any recommendation on brand (aside from RUD) or advise?

Just a reminder: even if I have snow tires, CHP may still require the use of chain per the above. Same for National Park driving: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/chains.htm
Old 01-27-2018, 06:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
Originally Posted by lanwarrior
While waiting for RUD to respond, can anyone share their experiences on using snow chain or cable on a E-class 4Matic? Any recommendation on brand (aside from RUD) or advise?

Just a reminder: even if I have snow tires, CHP may still require the use of chain per the above. Same for National Park driving: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/chains.htm
Just a "dumb question" but I wonder how the E300's will do even with chains given the very limited ground clearance. We aren't driving snow plows? Maybe use your one Ton 4X4 truck?
Old 01-27-2018, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Get a G Wagon or a Unimog for a "go anywhere" ride.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:43 PM

2016 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by robert c
Just a "dumb question" but I wonder how the E300's will do even with chains given the very limited ground clearance. We aren't driving snow plows? Maybe use your one Ton 4X4 truck?
Not sure with the E300, but for the E400 Wagon, it’s permissible to use snow chain (or belt?), even if the car is equipped with the air body control option.

From the manual: https://m.imgur.com/a/giUFw

This is why I am asking around if anyone have experience with the above since I could never get a straight answer.

BTW, if I have to, I’d get a snow tires. However, given the rule in CA, even snow tire will still require the use of snow chain under certain condition.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:45 PM

2016 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by ua549
Get a G Wagon or a Unimog for a "go anywhere" ride.
Buy a 2nd Mercedes? Maybe if both of my companies go IPO.. 😜
Old 01-28-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Manual Sport. 2017 E400 Wagon
So many comedians here, from SoCal as well. Here check the MB accessories catalogs for "Luxury chain" from RUD manufacturer is Mercedes preferred globally. Visibly the links are smaller than you see on pickup trucks. Make sure the fit is right for your tires . Here is a link.
https://configurator.mercedes-benz-accessories.com/en-MB/e-class-w212-0320/Safety/Snow_chains?cartransporter=cardian highway
FYI: Snow is friendly but with black ice or by itself alone, is a real hazard, All your wheels and tires must be the same size front and rear. Educate yourself on "driving" with any snow chains on any vehicle. When adding, add not just front, not just back but all 4 tires if you want your 4-matic to work correctly. Beware that excessive braking, handling and speed with ANY chains on the vehicle changes all driving dynamics from the drivers seat..

Last edited by sjnorte; 01-28-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Owners Manual(page 355) recommends using snow chains on the rear wheels only with a speed of no more than 30 mph.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:16 PM

2016 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by sjnorte
So many comedians here, from SoCal as well. Here check the MB accessories catalogs for "Luxury chain" from RUD manufacturer is Mercedes preferred globally. Visibly the links are smaller than you see on pickup trucks. Make sure the fit is right for your tires . Here is a link.
https://configurator.mercedes-benz-accessories.com/en-MB/e-class-w212-0320/Safety/Snow_chains?cartransporter=cardian highway
FYI: Snow is friendly but with black ice or by itself alone, is a real hazard, All your wheels and tires must be the same size front and rear. Educate yourself on "driving" with any snow chains on any vehicle. When adding, add not just front, not just back but all 4 tires if you want your 4-matic to work correctly. Beware that excessive braking, handling and speed with ANY chains on the vehicle changes all driving dynamics from the drivers seat..
Thanks for the link, @sjnorte. I checked the link and it only shows snow chain for cars between 2013 and 2016. I entered my VIN and it show that none of it fit my 2018 E400 Wagon. For fun, I entered the VIN of a 2016 E350 Wagon (my old car) and it show that the chain is compatible, so look like Mercedes have a 2 years lag for snow chain compatibility??

I contacted RUD directly but haven't heard back from them (it's been almost a week).

For the driving tips: according to the manual (see link above), I can only put it on rear wheel.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:44 AM

E200D
Snowsocks

Originally Posted by lanwarrior
I am from California and this is for the rare situation where CHP requires snow chain for trip to Lake Tahoe. This is for R3 level, where even 4X4 is required to have snow chain (http://www.dot.ca.gov/cttravel/chain-controls.html).

I have talked to many Mercedes dealer and even tried to email Mercedes directly (mbusa.com) but I can never get a straight answer. Some said just buy any snow chain, some said NOT to use snow chain and just use snow tires and some said don't drive the car where it's on R3 level (?!). Mbusa.com recommended RUD but there is no RUD dealer in the USA.

So what do you guys use?

I Think Snowsocks works great.

http://www.snowsock.ca/
Old 01-29-2018, 10:39 AM

2008 C300 Manual Sport. 2017 E400 Wagon
Ua549 Correct on referral to MB manual install.

Click link and look for Wagon or Kombi > T-Modell type 213K for your 400 wagon body. From my observation RUD makes for 18" only at this time . 18's are part order # 48495 about @ 242 Euro plus from Europe but check/verify with a US distributor if you can. Hope this helps.
One week is too long, most local USA staffing are out of the know with fast changing manufacturing updates and the lack of proper customer contact service, especially global companies, go up the ladder to you get satisfied. Good Luck

http://schneekettenberater.rud.com/default.aspx

Snowsocks are an interesting concept. Wonder if approved in USA yet

Last edited by sjnorte; 01-29-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:27 PM

E 400 wagon
15 years of Tahoe travel

I travelled from SFO to Tahoe almost every weekend for 15 years. it is my experience that it is rare that they go to level 3. Normally it is 2 (tires with chains or 4WD) and if it gets worse, they just close it. Having said that, I was always able to get to Truckee. here's how:
1. buy a set of 4 Blizzak LM001 on regular steel wheels
2. put them on in the comfort of your garage at home if there is any chance of snow.
3 if you hear that there are checkpoints up on 80, you can take the exit before the checkpoint and then take the access road around the checkpoint and then re enter 80.
4. if they close the road, you can still do that, but beware that the plows will be out and could be going in the wrong direction and they will not be happy if you are out there.

they close the road when it is bad, but they are just trying to keep the unskilled morons off the road.
I wouldn't waste my time with chains because they will close it before going to 3.
you can almost go from Auburn to Truckee on the Access roads. try it during the summer to learn where everything goes.
safe driving.
then again, you can move to Charleston SC where it never snows (see photo)

Last edited by CharlestonCar; 01-31-2018 at 07:47 AM. Reason: add photo and correct spelling
Old 02-08-2018, 10:02 PM

2016 E350 Wagon
Thanks for the detailed info! Glad to know about the road just getting closed when it hit level 3. I am holding off buying the chain for now.

PS: sorry for the late reply, the notification went to my junk folder.

Originally Posted by CharlestonCar

I travelled from SFO to Tahoe almost every weekend for 15 years. it is my experience that it is rare that they go to level 3. Normally it is 2 (tires with chains or 4WD) and if it gets worse, they just close it. Having said that, I was always able to get to Truckee. here's how:
1. buy a set of 4 Blizzak LM001 on regular steel wheels
2. put them on in the comfort of your garage at home if there is any chance of snow.
3 if you hear that there are checkpoints up on 80, you can take the exit before the checkpoint and then take the access road around the checkpoint and then re enter 80.
4. if they close the road, you can still do that, but beware that the plows will be out and could be going in the wrong direction and they will not be happy if you are out there.

they close the road when it is bad, but they are just trying to keep the unskilled morons off the road.
I wouldn't waste my time with chains because they will close it before going to 3.
you can almost go from Auburn to Truckee on the Access roads. try it during the summer to learn where everything goes.
safe driving.
then again, you can move to Charleston SC where it never snows (see photo)