E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

One pothole and 1 wheel replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
W213 E43 Diamond White/ Designo Nut Brown
One pothole and 1 wheel replaced

So I'm having a E300 Sedan. Some day last week, I ran into a pothole at 40-50mph. It was like BAMMMNN, like a gun shot . Immediately I felt something wrong with my car, the whole car was vibrating and steering wheel was shaking so bad. Took it to the dealer the day after, found out both right wheels were bent. The front was bent so bad that it's square off and couldn't be fixed, as a Mercedes tech states, the rear not that bad, could be repaired.
So I ended up paying for a brand new wheel, a fix for the other and an alignment - $1600 for a damn pothole haha.
My car has 19" AMG Twin spoke wheel, continental run flat tires.
Wish the tires were non-flat, the shocks would've been absorbed by tires and not a lot impact to the wheels.
So just be careful driving around guys, roads after snow here in Ohio is absolutely horrible. Especially most of people here I see all have 19" wheels.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
E class, C class
Was the suspension alright? Did it bent or crack anything on the car? It sounds like a crazy hit, thankfully you are alright.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes e300 2017
It's worth mentioning that if you put extra air in your tires, they and the wheels won't be as susceptible to damage. I keep 40 psi in all four, and 10,000 miles later, no bad effects. Tires are also wearing evenly. However, don't ask me about ride and noise.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by jim300
It's worth mentioning that if you put extra air in your tires, they and the wheels won't be as susceptible to damage. I keep 40 psi in all four, and 10,000 miles later, no bad effects. Tires are also wearing evenly. However, don't ask me about ride and noise.
Except you'll have a ****tier ride.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Except you'll have a ****tier ride.
You would be surprised that was true in the olden times, now a days suspensions are calibrated to run on what seem to be rock hard tires. If you drive with lower pressures rather than being more comfortable the ride hardly changes but the handling worsens significantly. With the summer tires My GLS calls for 50 PSI and the ride is smooth as butter. On my 43 you can tell if they are just a few PSI off because handling is off and the ride gets more bouncy (exactly the opposite of what you would expect). With MOS tires low pressure worsens the ride since the tire rides more often on the stiff sidewall than on the fully inflated tread.
BTW sorry about the rim loss, I insured my 43 rims precisely for that reason, the 20 inch rims are very expensive and the rubber is very thin indeed.
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
gfmohn (03-04-2018), superangrypenguin (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 05:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Same wheels as you, I hit a pothole at around 50mph with only the left wheel and the bang I heard/felt was so violent I pulled over to check the tyre handyh burst. Luckily mine were fine and no bucking so you really must have hit it hard.

In the UK we drive on the left hand side. Due to years of budget cuts and austerity, we now say we drive on WHAT'S LEFT of the road!
The following users liked this post:
dukester34 (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
none yet
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
Same wheels as you, I hit a pothole at around 50mph with only the left wheel and the bang I heard/felt was so violent I pulled over to check the tyre handyh burst. Luckily mine were fine and no bucking so you really must have hit it hard.

In the UK we drive on the left hand side. Due to years of budget cuts and austerity, we now say we drive on WHAT'S LEFT of the road!
lol... we say that to here. its disgusting.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 mercedes GLE 43 coupe
My wife's previous Volvo cost me thousands of dollars in repairs as a result of larger wheeled/low profile tires being more prone to pothole damage to sidewalls & wheels (especially having to replace wheels).
With her latest car,I paid for a dealer tire protection warranty.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580

Don't worry Brexit will solve that problem and the chronic underfunding of the NHS too! It will all be blue skies, fluffy clouds and birds singing. Make Britain "Great" again!!
Old 03-02-2018, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Don't worry Brexit will solve that problem and the chronic underfunding of the NHS too! It will all be blue skies, fluffy clouds and birds singing. Make Britain "Great" again!!
Don't forget the green lights.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Indeed. We will all become billionaires over night, rule the world's trade and enslave all who fail to bow to our mighty empire.

But more likely our woefully incompetent government will bollocks up all negotiations leaving our currency in tatters and increasing the spending deficit even more. So not Brexit, more like Broke It. So much to look forward to!

It really is like a very slow Monty Python sketch that's getting sillier and sillier as the months go on. Though you Americans have much the same feeling I suspect
Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E300
I hit a pothole here on Long Island. It destroyed the tire but wheel was okay. Brought to dealer and they checked front end, did an alignment and replaced the tire. I filed a claim with Geico and just had to cover deductible.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by elnos
So I'm having a E300 Sedan. Some day last week, I ran into a pothole at 40-50mph. It was like BAMMMNN, like a gun shot . Immediately I felt something wrong with my car, the whole car was vibrating and steering wheel was shaking so bad. Took it to the dealer the day after, found out both right wheels were bent. The front was bent so bad that it's square off and couldn't be fixed, as a Mercedes tech states, the rear not that bad, could be repaired.
So I ended up paying for a brand new wheel, a fix for the other and an alignment - $1600 for a damn pothole haha.
My car has 19" AMG Twin spoke wheel, continental run flat tires.
Wish the tires were non-flat, the shocks would've been absorbed by tires and not a lot impact to the wheels.
So just be careful driving around guys, roads after snow here in Ohio is absolutely horrible. Especially most of people here I see all have 19" wheels.
This very similar event happened to me about 5 years ago except I only blew 1 tire and wheel which cost me about $1,000.00,. Ever since then, I always take the tire/wheel warranty. Even if I never have to use it, I like the assurance that I'm not going to get hit with another whopper given the very poor pothole repair we have in my area (Phila.,Pa) where some potholes like they've been cause by meteor attacks.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Indeed. We will all become billionaires over night, rule the world's trade and enslave all who fail to bow to our mighty empire.

But more likely our woefully incompetent government will bollocks up all negotiations leaving our currency in tatters and increasing the spending deficit even more. So not Brexit, more like Broke It. So much to look forward to!

It really is like a very slow Monty Python sketch that's getting sillier and sillier as the months go on. Though you Americans have much the same feeling I suspect
Dont feel bad we were laughing about UK stupidity till Trump became president... As you must be aware, we must always be Number One even if its in the race for the stupidity, nepotism, racism and greed. Our new motto will replace "E pluribus unum" with "banana christian republic"
Old 03-03-2018, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
This is no place for politics or religion.
The following 4 users liked this post by ua549:
captret (03-08-2018), elnos (03-04-2018), gfmohn (03-04-2018), grossmsj (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
C300 sport 2008
Originally Posted by ua549
This is no place for politics or religion.
It’s on topic.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by froll
This very similar event happened to me about 5 years ago except I only blew 1 tire and wheel which cost me about $1,000.00,. Ever since then, I always take the tire/wheel warranty. Even if I never have to use it, I like the assurance that I'm not going to get hit with another whopper given the very poor pothole repair we have in my area (Phila.,Pa) where some potholes like they've been cause by meteor attacks.
don’t miss the Belt Parkway and BQE or Central NJ. Roads are like glass here in Naples FL compared to those.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Dont feel bad we were laughing about UK stupidity till Trump became president... As you must be aware, we must always be Number One even if its in the race for the stupidity, nepotism, racism and greed. Our new motto will replace "E pluribus unum" with "banana christian republic"
it’s about time we care for our own citizens. Enough said.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
W213 E43 Diamond White/ Designo Nut Brown
Originally Posted by BF3PDZ
Was the suspension alright? Did it bent or crack anything on the car? It sounds like a crazy hit, thankfully you are alright.
Everthing was fine is a huge plus, but the wheel. That's kinda strange hah

Originally Posted by John Panagia
I hit a pothole here on Long Island. It destroyed the tire but wheel was okay. Brought to dealer and they checked front end, did an alignment and replaced the tire. I filed a claim with Geico and just had to cover deductible .
Originally Posted by froll
This very similar event happened to me about 5 years ago except I only blew 1 tire and wheel which cost me about $1,000.00 ,. Ever since then, I always take the tire/wheel warranty. Even if I never have to use it, I like the assurance that I'm not going to get hit with another whopper given the very poor pothole repair we have in my area (Phila. ,Pa ) where some potholes like they've been cause by meteor attacks.

What suprises me people got damaged on tires but not wheels, since we're riding on Continental run-flat, which is like rocks. A few Mercedes technicians told me Mercedes really makes good quality wheels, if I had aftermarket wheels on, they would've been cracked and broken.