E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Rear view (Dash Cam) camera room with sun shade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
E63 2018
Originally Posted by Wolfman
It's definitely a better camera IMO. It was a bit more pricey as the 750 but I like the smaller design that fits nicely into the infra-red cutout of the windshield for GPS. Just the rear camera location is less than ideal but still acceptable to me. Two more pics...
I See you the the W213 ED1 same as me. How did you pass the wire to the bank (trunk) to tap the cigarette lighter fuse? I can't find the way to pass the wire to the trunk.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E300
Those side mounted cameras will become missiles if the side curtain airbag deploys. Be aware of that.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
I'm interested in installing 2 dual dash cams BlackVue 750 like you did. great to see that I am not the only lunatic in town

I have never used or installed a dash cam on my cars. in my country it is illegal, but they have to notice it and nobody notices... the cops in my country are way loose than US for what i read.

my interest in having 4 cams is precisely for getting a 360º view. you never know when someone will hit you on the side, and it can be specially useful when parked because there are a lot of envy people here and it is easy to get your pretty car keyed...

however i have some doubts. hope that someone more experienced can shed some ideas.

1) does it passing the wires thru the headliners and other stuff lead to parasitic noises after some time? I don't like to mess around with car interior finishings and unglue something...
2) how do you mount the side cams? i don't have a pano roof and it bothers me the possible issue with the side airbag curtains if they are activated... how can one fix them?
3) I am interested in this installation setup to work as an alarm complement, so I need wireless access to the cams, so that is why I am aiming to this BlackVue model. If the cams detect a bump or movement on my car when parked I would like to get access to the video saved on a cloud. That means that I need an Internet connection and external power for the cams. I am thinking on buying on of those portable jump starters with USB and 10v outputs for powering the cams and getting a 4G SIM card and a data plan with a local carrier since i don't see any way to use the E63 S internet connection, specially when parked. What do you guys think on this or how have you made your setup? I know that in the US it is common to use a wired connection to the car's battery and other gadget to avoid draining the battery, but I prefer this external power solution.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 226 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
1) Attached some pics from my previous car, when the cams were attached directly to the battery. no need to go through the headliner

3) ihave 2 of these installed: http://www.car-dvr.co.uk/cellink_b/powerbank/cellink_pro.html
but
realise it's pricey... they have some cheaper models as well. see here at bottom of the page: http://www.car-dvr.co.uk/online_store.html

if
you want to have external access then indeed you should get a portable modem with sim as they car's wifi switches off when parked

Personally I do not like blackvu. I've owned 4 and they all overheated and crashed during summers.

I now have a thinkware f750 & f770 - very styable cameras

Their latest dual camera (with cloud) is this one http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F800PRO

Last edited by Egonvdv; 08-08-2018 at 03:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Thanks !
Passing the wires thru the bottom is different from what I have seen. Interesting.
About BlackVue, I read some complaints about overheating and crashing during summer days. That is very concerning that you had that issue also. I live on a hot country and have also request the acoustic and thermal confort pack for the E63S so this resilience is important. How can a top brand make a product that cannot coupe with heat?? Unbelievable . The thinkware is more bulky and has driving assisting features that I do not want (and will be paying for that nonetheless)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

personally I find there's not so much of a difference; yes the blackvue is smaller, but the thinkware sits closer to the windscreen.
but ok that's a matter of opinion I guess.. indeed the thinkware 800 pro is about 50 eur more expensive than the blackvue,
but well worth it if you want a camera that always works.
you could also check out the f770 which is cheaper, but not cloud based.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Question

Originally Posted by Egonvdv
personally I find there's not so much of a difference; yes the blackvue is smaller, but the thinkware sits closer to the windscreen.
but ok that's a matter of opinion I guess.. indeed the thinkware 800 pro is about 50 eur more expensive than the blackvue,
but well worth it if you want a camera that always works.
you could also check out the f770 which is cheaper, but not cloud based.
the Thinkware's website does not detail anything about the cams. unbelievable. The BlackVue's site it is possible to get very detailed information about the 750. The interesting thing is that they say the cam operates under -20º to 70º C (and have a cut-off at 80º). that's above the usual li-ion batteries operating conditions that go to 60º C. i've seen some studies where the interior temperature of a car on hot locations hits easily 70 to 90º C (with outside temps above 35º). that is huge... I've also found this brand that seems to be one of the top dash cams makers in Asia and is known to be one of the best for coping with high temps: IRoad. Their website is also very detailed and their X9 cam shows operating temperature of -30º to 80ºC. Wow... But we are talking about a theoretic 10º more from BlackVue. How does that make such a difference in real world conditions i do not know. Better build quality? Or misleading advertising from BlackVue?... If Thinkware also does better in hot climates then I imagine it also goes to 80º C ...
Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by NFAREVIEW
Those side mounted cameras will become missiles if the side curtain airbag deploys. Be aware of that.
that is one of my concerns. I am not sure now where and how those airbags are deployed... not sure if they are placed on the B pillar and deployed vertically or horizontally.

got to see some youtube videos

i imagine placing them behind the B Pillar to avoid the airbags :/

Last edited by tonecas; 08-11-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
has anyone got any interference with radio reception (or other interference) when installing rear dash cams?

i found some complaints about it but there seems to be no common trend. only that when using DAB radio it gives less problems.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:04 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Question

Originally Posted by tonecas
the Thinkware's website does not detail anything about the cams. unbelievable. The BlackVue's site it is possible to get very detailed information about the 750. The interesting thing is that they say the cam operates under -20º to 70º C (and have a cut-off at 80º). that's above the usual li-ion batteries operating conditions that go to 60º C. i've seen some studies where the interior temperature of a car on hot locations hits easily 70 to 90º C (with outside temps above 35º). that is huge... I've also found this brand that seems to be one of the top dash cams makers in Asia and is known to be one of the best for coping with high temps: IRoad. Their website is also very detailed and their X9 cam shows operating temperature of -30º to 80ºC. Wow... But we are talking about a theoretic 10º more from BlackVue. How does that make such a difference in real world conditions i do not know. Better build quality? Or misleading advertising from BlackVue?... If Thinkware also does better in hot climates then I imagine it also goes to 80º C ...
blackboxmycar has some information on Thinkware F800:

High-Temperature Protection System

Thinkware takes great care of its tech, so we also see an inclusion of their high-temperature protection system. The thermal sensor of the F800 PRO shuts the device off automatically when operating at unsafe temperatures above 60° Celcius or 140° Fahrenheit.

in https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/...ash-cam-review

what da hell...
Old 08-11-2018, 08:55 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
1) Attached some pics from my previous car, when the cams were attached directly to the battery. no need to go through the headliner
i noticed that you seem to have run the wire thru the A pillar airbag joint and then thru the C pillar that on one of the pictures seems to have an airbag also. It is not clear from the images on my portable PC if you have tuck it inside the frame of the airbag or just over the joint?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

over the joint
Old 10-01-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 4matic coupe / 2015 GLK 250 BT / 2008 F250 Diesel / 2002 Focus SVT
Revisiting this topic looking for dash cam for my 18’ E400 coupe (C238). Your posts have sold me on the F770 with rear camera. I also have the rear sunshade. I am hoping that the install will be pretty close to your write up.

Thanks for sharing
OJ
Old 10-02-2018, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

let me know results once done plse :-)
Old 03-21-2021, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 GLE450
Sorry if i'm bringing back an old thread, but how exactly did you carry this out? I am trying to mount a rear cam in two cars that also have rear sunshades and right now the sunshade hit the camera... How did you bend it and what kind of plastic piece did you use?
Old 03-21-2021, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by DriveAMG

How did you make that mount?