E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E43- 4 month review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E43, Hyacinth Red
E43- 4 month review

Well the forum has been helpful both pre and post sales and after 4 months of ownership, I felt the need to share back with the community.

First off, very happy with the purchase and no regrets. Big enough for the family, extremely comfortable, classy, modern/futuristic interior, great performance, work friendly, and certainly enough pep when I need it. Let’s be clear- the e43 is NOT an e63 but at almost 400HP it’s more than enough to zip past traffic and can certainly get you the speeding ticket you’d likely get with the e63. Add the sport + and the mini AMG snarl and the e43 keeps you happy. One passenger in the back thought there was a Kawasaki nearby during the downshifting but then he realized it was me and gave a big smile.

Some things that I’ve experienced:
- LED light issues not consistently turning on were a problem. However, I’ve dialed them down to 93 and haven’t had an issue since. I will get the software update during the next visit

- The black piano plastic center console is a huge disappointment and extremely cheap. Great looking but scratches all over despite meticulous care. I have the metal weave trim (love it) and would appreciate it if someone could confirm/provide the part number to replace the center console for the same finish

- The car is extremely quiet but on the highway, I get wind noise off the driver’s side. Sounds like the window isn’t fully closed but it definitely is. Not sure if anyone else has run into this

- Casual mode on the dynamic select is relaxing and great for the start-drive-stop owner. I find it boring but classic Benz comfort and ride and perfect for the the daily stop and go commute. I always throw it into Sport+ when possible and that’s where the fun in this car shows up- extremely fast acceleration and it brings out the kid in you. Only complaint is that I find the downshifting is often jerky and rough. Maybe it’s the engine programming but I would have expected it to be smoother and not have to take note of it so frequently. The paddle shifters are fun to play with but the software timing of the gear shifts up is really great and ultimately make then unnecessary. The AMG steering wheel is a must.

- Self-drive is surreal but as everyone states, it’s meant to assist/ease your driving and not be full autopilot. Fun to play with on the highway but I enjoy driving more than watching and there have been a few times where the car couldn’t make the right call and could have created an accident (i.e.- lanes that split into 2, or lane ending forcing a merge into another lane). Be alert, work with the system, and you’ll enjoy it

- Burmeister system is great. Wish I would have upgraded to the full 13 speakers but for 95% of the folks listening to it, just an unnecessary upgrade

- Speaker on the driver’s side door rattles/vibrates and is extremely frustrating when using the hands-free. Holding it works but obviously not a fix. The Bluetooth itself though is incredible and when using hands-free, people have no idea I’m even in the car. Only when I have it in sport+ and take off from a light do they notice.

- The massage seats are another surreal experience. Certainly not a must have but wow, quite the novelty and crowd pleaser. In winter, the heated massages are great. Also helpful that the massage does not only the back but the seat cushion itself. Received quite a few compliments from people riding in it and I'm already getting reservations from folks. .

- The active bolsters on the seats are phenomenal. New experience for me when I climbed into the e43 but now I couldn’t live without them.

- COMAND system for streaming is extremely painful. I’ve been a long time Benz owner and with all the upgrades in software over the last decade, Mercedes still can’t get a great system that’s easy, intuitive, and simple to use. The navigation is beautiful

- Normally I tune my car and look for aftermarket accessories. However, I’ve been pleased with the car as is and outside of tint and a possible rear roof spoiler, I don’t think I’ll need much else.

Hope this helps those looking to purchase this car and by all means, would welcome any comments/fixes for the issues I do have.
The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
The car is extremely quiet but on the highway, I get wind noise off the driver’s side. Sounds like the window isn’t fully closed but it definitely is.
===
all my previous (4) MB's had this problem, (though not my w213) they need to adjust the rubbers. ( have someone check the rear doors as well when you are driving)

- Speaker on the driver’s side door rattles/vibrates and is extremely frustrating when using the hands-free.
==
I've got it with the right front & rear left speaker. VERY annoying. at First I thought maybe I was too **** about it,
but many people complain about it... it's a 65k eur car I drive... so will ask them to fix this with next service!

Last edited by Egonvdv; 04-10-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Audi S5
The AMG steering wheel has larger paddles which is good, but it has microfiber, which I don't like, particularly on a steering wheel. Too bad they weren't offering the full-leather AMG steering wheel like they do on the E63S.

How is the ride on your car? Do you have the 19" wheels or the 20" ones?
Old 04-10-2018, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I echo your sentiments. Im completely satisfied with mine. Personally I havent had any mechanical issues in 14k miles. Best car I have owned, period. Incredible mix of comfort, lux and performance. Maybe a little hard edged for those looking for ultimate comfort, but a happy trade off for a performance envelope which is just short of a track worthy car. Im taking it again to Road America in May because its thrilling to push to the limit, something not possible on public roads. Love this car to bits!! !
Old 04-11-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLE53
Nice review - thank you. I am very interested in seeing some pictures of your E43 in Hyacinth Red! I am thinking about that color for my 2019 E53 order
Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
The 13 speaker Burmester is 'standard' one on Premium Plus here in UK. You will have this too. There is no Burmester system below that, the lesser system is not a Burmester one.
The upgraded Burmester 3d is the 2nd option with 23 Speakers and 1450W, we can't get that one here which is a bit crap.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
21 E53 Wagon
It;s just the little things

I am always disappointed when I get into my E43. It's a decent compromise between comfort and performance but I ordered the black ash centre console but got the cheap shiny plastic, I ordered the wireless charging but got an ashtray. I ordered the heads up display but didn't get it. I miss my 2014 E350 and this is likely my last Benz. The new Audi A6 looks great. Wish I had waited.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by jdwhin
I am always disappointed when I get into my E43. It's a decent compromise between comfort and performance but I ordered the black ash centre console but got the cheap shiny plastic, I ordered the wireless charging but got an ashtray. I ordered the heads up display but didn't get it. I miss my 2014 E350 and this is likely my last Benz. The new Audi A6 looks great. Wish I had waited.
Why in the world would you accept a car that is not build as ordered? Those different options are clearly important to you...
Old 04-15-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic
This forum has been helpful for many things. But as I wait for arrival of my new car, these sorts of tales have prepared me to walk away if the car isn't built right.
I am very eager to get it, but can't let that emotion overtake the discipline needed to do a thorough evaluation of the car on delivery and say "no" if its not right.
The following users liked this post:
Cambridgehank (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
I agree with Wolf. This car should not have been accepted. Or, at the very least, an agreement to retrofit the center console and wireless charger plus a significant reduction in cost to purchase the car.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Why in the world would you accept a car that is not build as ordered? Those different options are clearly important to you...
My point exactly.... people at a restaurant raise a fuss for a 20 buck steak, this dude accepted a 75 k car that wasn't what he wanted?
Makes me think troll....
Old 04-16-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E43
Originally Posted by c4004matic
My point exactly.... people at a restaurant raise a fuss for a 20 buck steak, this dude accepted a 75 k car that wasn't what he wanted?
Makes me think troll....
This forum is thick with trolls.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
The heads up display is a deal breaker. The other two options are easily installed. But unfortunately I do not believe the OP.