Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
Can I use my cell phone data plan to connect to my E400 WIFI? >

Can I use my cell phone data plan to connect to my E400 WIFI?

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Old 05-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E400

Hi,

I am a new owner of 2018 E400. Can I use my cell phone data plan to connect to my E400 WIFI?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 108 Times in 87 Posts
W213 200CDI -Fascination
depends if you have the possibility to have integrated internet in the car (I forgot what the module is called)
if you have this "connected option" (even without a subscription), then you can NOT use your phone for internet.

If you don't have the possibility for integrated internet, then you CAN use your phone to connect the car.
(but I think it's only the cheapest/basic models that come without, and they are only available in Europe)

However I do not know if the car's wifi works. seems in the USA wifi works only with a subscription, but here
in Europe it can always be used (even if there's no internet connection)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E400
Thank you!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C 250
My Mercedes C250 C205 Coupe imported from Germany to Middle east, but I was wondering without any subscription I press overhead emergency button, and its connected to MB Germany Emergency services, the only things thats not working is the APP, where you can start, shut open windows. But when I try to register, the app reject them
Old 01-28-2019, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 272 Times in 225 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Egonvdv View Post
depends if you have the possibility to have integrated internet in the car (I forgot what the module is called)
if you have this "connected option" (even without a subscription), then you can NOT use your phone for internet.

If you don't have the possibility for integrated internet, then you CAN use your phone to connect the car.
(but I think it's only the cheapest/basic models that come without, and they are only available in Europe)

However I do not know if the car's wifi works. seems in the USA wifi works only with a subscription, but here
For the 2017/2018 model years, in the US, you pay Mercedes directly for internet service. I believe the module you're referring to is the Hermes module. With that module, you cannot use your cell phone to provide a hotspot to the car. For the 2019's Mercedes has partnered with AT&T for internet service where I pay $20/month added to my cell phone bill for my internet service in my car. For me this was a simple process as AT&T just happens to be my cellular provider. It has proven to provide a very reliable connection.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 PM

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
E400
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
For the 2017/2018 model years, in the US, you pay Mercedes directly for internet service. I believe the module you're referring to is the Hermes module. With that module, you cannot use your cell phone to provide a hotspot to the car. For the 2019's Mercedes has partnered with AT&T for internet service where I pay $20/month added to my cell phone bill for my internet service in my car. For me this was a simple process as AT&T just happens to be my cellular provider. It has proven to provide a very reliable connection.
I visited my AT&T wireless store today. They had no idea of how to set up my Mercedes and internet service. Did you do it through Mercedes?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Cambridgehank View Post
I visited my AT&T wireless store today. They had no idea of how to set up my Mercedes and internet service. Did you do it through Mercedes?
Remind me which E model year you have? If you are 2018, you pay Mercedes directly for internet service in the car. If you have a 2019, you buy the service from AT&T. AT&T has a Connected Car Service team and the contract with MBUSA to provide internet in the 2019 model year E Class. But you can't get AT&T for a 2018 or earlier. And yes, I spoke with AT&T to start the service in my car.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 148 Times in 133 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I think if you hit "Load Data Volume" on the mercedes me connect portal that should take you to ATT to sign up for internet. For me I cannot see the point of paying the 20 dollars as I really don't need a hotspot as I have unlimited data on my phone and about the only things that don't work during the free 3 year trial is the local search function and the built in tune in internet radio. The weather app does seem to work as does the SOS and the Mercedes Me connect app. Well at least on my Cabriolet until it's figured out why my wagon is not working on the connect.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 93 Times in 84 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
Just to be clear, you don't need to have ATT service on your phone to get the $20 a month plan for wi fi service. You can sign up for it separately. If you have an ATT phone, they just make it convenient in doing the billing together.

For me, my data plan is sufficient and have no need to spend an extra $20 on ATT for a hot spot.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
Just to be clear, you don't need to have ATT service on your phone to get the $20 a month plan for wi fi service. You can sign up for it separately. If you have an ATT phone, they just make it convenient in doing the billing together.

For me, my data plan is sufficient and have no need to spend an extra $20 on ATT for a hot spot.
That is correct. Since AT&T is my cellular provider, I just added the service to my plan. I don't have unlimited data, so for me, the data in the car means I can stream music and use Apple Car Pay to my hearts content. I don't get much use out of the Mercedes Apps in the car and think TuneIn Radio is a huge fail. Most of the favorites I have don't play via the app, but do play just fine via my iPhone. SiriusXM recently acquired Pandora. I don't know how or if it will change anything and I'm a Pandora Premium subscriber.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 93 Times in 84 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
I don't get much use out of the Mercedes Apps in the car and think TuneIn Radio is a huge fail. Most of the favorites I have don't play via the app, but do play just fine via my iPhone. SiriusXM recently acquired Pandora. I don't know how or if it will change anything and I'm a Pandora Premium subscriber.
Is there anyway of getting Pandora on "your favorites list" or do I have to go through Apple Car Play every time to use it?

Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You use Pandora via Apple Car Play. Or you can stream it via Bluetooth, but Apple Car Play works so much better.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 148 Times in 133 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I actually found the tune in radio to be pretty good. Some of the channels stream at a high bit rare and sound good. I loaded the tune in app on my phone and play it via Apple car play but find it does not sound quite as good as it did when I had the att Mercedes data plan that was free for the first month.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
E Class Estate S213

The WiFi connection may work but there is no outward connection to the internet without a subscription (Vodafone in UK). Other apps may work but not browsing the web

Last edited by JDPEClassUK; 02-14-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:15 PM

E400
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=rbrylaw;7681155]That is correct. Since AT&T is my cellular provider, I just added the service to my plan. I don't have unlimited data, so for me, the data in the car means I can stream music and use Apple Car Pay to my hearts content. I don't get much use out of the Mercedes Apps in the car and think TuneIn Radio is a huge fail. Most of the favorites I have don't play via the app, but do play just fine via my iPhone. SiriusXM recently acquired Pandora. I don't know how or if it will change anything and I'm a Pandora Premium subscriber.[/QUOdoraTE]
Thanks, my car is a 2018. I have unlimited data plan with At&T, so it sounds like I do not need MB involved. I have been listening to Pandora with Apple CarPlay, it is terrific.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Cambridgehank;7681555]
That is correct. Since AT&T is my cellular provider, I just added the service to my plan. I don't have unlimited data, so for me, the data in the car means I can stream music and use Apple Car Pay to my hearts content. I don't get much use out of the Mercedes Apps in the car and think TuneIn Radio is a huge fail. Most of the favorites I have don't play via the app, but do play just fine via my iPhone. SiriusXM recently acquired Pandora. I don't know how or if it will change anything and I'm a Pandora Premium subscriber.[/QUOdoraTE]
Thanks, my car is a 2018. I have unlimited data plan with At&T, so it sounds like I do not need MB involved. I have been listening to Pandora with Apple CarPlay, it is terrific.
I love Pandora. And when you pay for the premium service, I can give a personal account to all the members of my household. I actually think their algorithm works far better than Apple's algorithm. And the bit-rate is very high, so in the car, it sounds great.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:48 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2019 E200 sedan
You maybe could get an extra sim connected to your cell plan to use in the mercedes? My carrier offers that for a small additional fee, its meant for stuff like cellular ipads but might be a good option.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 AM

E400
Originally Posted by mercedes.fan View Post
You maybe could get an extra sim connected to your cell plan to use in the mercedes? My carrier offers that for a small additional fee, its meant for stuff like cellular ipads but might be a good option.
Where would you install the sim ?
Old 02-18-2019, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 108 Times in 87 Posts
W213 200CDI -Fascination
there's no accessible slot.
i doubt there's actually a "real" simcard somewhere in the car, that can be changed.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:28 AM

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
E Class Estate S213
there's no accessible slot.
i doubt there's actually a "real" simcard somewhere in the car, that can be changed.
You are absolutely right. There is no ‘SIM’ in the car. It is virtual and part of the HERMES Module.