Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:58 PM
DZL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220d W213
[SOLVED] Rattle coming from the camera behind the rear view mirror

Hi,

my car has developped quite a weird rattle that is coming from the large plastic cover behind the rear view mirror. I removed the cover and the sound was coming from the camera on the righ side. Has anyone had the same problem? Do you know whether there is a bulletin issues on this? I have difficulties explaining the issue to the mechanics as it sometimes disappears.

Speaking of rattles, I also have a rattle that is coming from the left rear door. It rattles a lot when going over expansion joints on highways. Does anyone know what could be the source?

Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by DZL; 12-17-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
YES the mirror rattle drove me nuts! I solved it by rotating it around and it went away.

2nd rattle was the dash mesh, I fixed this by putting Velcro pieces on the clips, yes did have to pry it up, but was really easy and was gratifying to have it fixed for $3 and not having to go to the dealer

Kinda was a buzzkill buying a new car, especially a Mercedes and having little thing like this happen

3rd issue, not rattle related, the trim around cup holder cracked and has sharp edges which can cut your finger.....I put tap on it so I don’t....this is not unusual, years ago my friends Jag he had the same issues. But still not acceptable
Old 07-14-2018, 07:48 AM
DZL

E220d W213
Originally Posted by mobster600
YES the mirror rattle drove me nuts! I solved it by rotating it around and it went away.

2nd rattle was the dash mesh, I fixed this by putting Velcro pieces on the clips, yes did have to pry it up, but was really easy and was gratifying to have it fixed for $3 and not having to go to the dealer

Kinda was a buzzkill buying a new car, especially a Mercedes and having little thing like this happen

3rd issue, not rattle related, the trim around cup holder cracked and has sharp edges which can cut your finger.....I put tap on it so I don’t....this is not unusual, years ago my friends Jag he had the same issues. But still not acceptable
In my case it is not the mirror itself but the camera on right side (there are two cameras behind the cover that is next to the mirror) it is driving me nuts.

I also had the rattles coming from the dash, especially in winter when the car is cold (it is just expanding faster than the surrounding plastics, what a ****up from mercedes..)

The biggest rattle was nonetheless from the passengers footwell, the large black plastic cover was touching the one on right side, it resonated extremely with every music that had a litle bit of bass.

What I am also having an issue with is a rattle in low rpm (220d, around 1100-1150 rpm) in higher load when going uphill etc. It probably comes from dash or engine compartment itself.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Luxury, 2017 E300 Sport
Originally Posted by mobster600
Dealer replaced the trim around the cup holder for me; it's apparently a defect. Time will tell how long this replacement holds. I drove a loaner 2018 GLE that also had some trim flaking rather terribly.

Last edited by Knivels; 07-15-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:52 PM
DZL

E220d W213
I found the issue, the rattling sound is coming from the plastic piece that is on top of the camera module. This might help everyone who have a rattle coming from dashboard/mirror area.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by DZL
I found the issue, the rattling sound is coming from the plastic piece that is on top of the camera module. This might help everyone who have a rattle coming from dashboard/mirror area.
what did you do to fix it?
Old 07-22-2018, 11:18 AM
DZL

E220d W213
Originally Posted by dudley07726

what did you do to fix it?
I have not decided yet, I will probably use a bit of tape to figure out the optimal position and then glue it with epoxy so it wont move... any suggestions? Btw I was trying to find the culprit for almost 6 months. First I thought there were more rattles, it sounded like as if it had been coming from dashboard, it also rattles when I close the doors..
Old 07-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
I’m big on felt, I bought a pack of Velcro and used the felt part for my dash rattle. I don’t want to modify anything at least while it’s under warranty.

I was tempted to do something more then tape on my cracked cup holder trim but I’ll wait, the tape got me to forget about it. I’ll probably bring it up to the dealer next oil change
Old 07-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
Who knew we had a camera in the car?
Old 12-17-2018, 01:31 PM
DZL

E220d W213
Solved

After a few months of testing I fixed the problem - I filled the gap with a piece of paper and that horrible rattle is gone for good.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:49 AM

W213 E220 2017
W213 2017

Originally Posted by DZL
After a few months of testing I fixed the problem - I filled the gap with a piece of paper and that horrible rattle is gone for good.
I have a W217, and have the rattling noise from my rear view mirror. If I tap the back of the mirror and can hear the rattle. Also my drive assist is limited , this is to some thing on my camera inside the mirror.
I had the service logs cleared by my local garage and he could not figure out the problem. I have looked up on the internet and it was more of a camera issue.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

Haroon