Ordered a 2019 E450 Today - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
Ordered a 2019 E450 Today >

Ordered a 2019 E450 Today

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Ordered a 2019 E450 Today

Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Ordered a 2019 E450 Today - Which Just Turned into a 2018 E400

After going back and forth between SUV (GLE) and sedan (E Class), I made the decision to order a 2019 E450 Today. I test drove the E400, which has tremendous power, so I can only imagine what the 450 will feel like, but I'm betting it will be great.

For 2019, Mercedes has simplified the option packages. Here's what I ordered:

E450 4Matic in Lunar Blue
Nut Bronw/Black Leather w/Natural Grain Brown Ash Trim
Driver Assistance Package
Parking Assistance Package
Premium Package (there is only one now as opposed to three)
Exterior Lighting w/Intelligent LED
AMG Line Exterior
18" AMG Wheels (I wanted the 19", but they strongly recommended I go with 18")
Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Panoramic Roof
12.3" Digital Instrument Cluster
All this greatness comes in at MSRP = $72,580

Now the wait begins. I doubt I'll see the car before October at the earliest. But I'm pretty stoked at the moment!

Last edited by rbrylaw; 08-02-2018 at 01:16 PM.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 07:21 PM
  #2  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: houston
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
curious- why did they recommend the 18" over the 19" wheels?
did they give any discount on the car?
kingston is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 07:33 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
curious- why did they recommend the 18" over the 19" wheels?
did they give any discount on the car?
They recommended the 18" wheels for the very reasons I've read, which is on 19" wheels the sidewall is shortened and can lead to more bent wheels and bubbled tires if you hit a pothole. I knew that 19" wheels are not necessarily better, but I just like the actual wheels that you can get over the 18." They also said that the 19" tires will wear out faster than the 18" and given these tires are expensive, I just prefer to not be dealing with buying tires sooner if I can avoid it. So I'm getting the 18."

This is what I wanted:



This is what I'll be getting, which are still good looking:



And yes, I'm getting an amazing discount. Truly. But I'm sworn to secrecy as I've bought more cars in 20 years from this dealer than I have fingers and toes and they give me a major discount off MSRP.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 07-21-2018 at 10:51 PM.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 184
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
2016 E350 4matic, 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Was there any discussion about tariffs?
JTK44 is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:48 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by JTK44 View Post
Was there any discussion about tariffs?
Yes, but only in the sense that it would be bad for Mercedes, Mercedes customers and the automotive industry as a whole. Currently, there are no tariffs on imports to the US. I remain confident this won't come to be. High ranking officials in Congress have publicly said they want to kill the study, so I'm not particularly worried at this moment.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 07-21-2018 at 10:52 PM.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 11:36 PM
  #6  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 Ford Fusion hybrid
I am new to the forum and am planning to also order a 2019 E450. I was wondering what the forum thought about the designo Macchiato Beige/Saddle Brown combination. I really like the beige but can't tell how the brown will play off of a Selenite Grey or Lunar Blue metallic exterior versus the Macchiato Beige/Espressor Brown Nappa interior I also wanted to know what you all thought of the Driver Assist Package and how intrusive it might be to a control freak driver like myself. I don't want to pay the money for the package just to manually turn off a lot of its features. I thought I would ask the group. This is my first post to the forum and yes, I am coming from a Ford Fusion hybrid, so we are talking about a big, big change in driving experience for me. My last question is: based on previous models, what sort of discount off of MSRP I might expect when considering a final price for the order? I apologize if some of these questions are naive but I thought I would ask all the same. Thanks in advance
Steve2018 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 12:09 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by Steve2018 View Post
I am new to the forum and am planning to also order a 2019 E450. I was wondering what the forum thought about the designo Macchiato Beige/Saddle Brown combination. I really like the beige but can't tell how the brown will play off of a Selenite Grey or Lunar Blue metallic exterior versus the Macchiato Beige/Espressor Brown Nappa interior I also wanted to know what you all thought of the Driver Assist Package and how intrusive it might be to a control freak driver like myself. I don't want to pay the money for the package just to manually turn off a lot of its features. I thought I would ask the group. This is my first post to the forum and yes, I am coming from a Ford Fusion hybrid, so we are talking about a big, big change in driving experience for me. My last question is: based on previous models, what sort of discount off of MSRP I might expect when considering a final price for the order? I apologize if some of these questions are naive but I thought I would ask all the same. Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum. While I like the Machiato Beige, I have a friend who has had this combination and the light leather is hard to keep clean. Jeans in particular seem to bleed into the light color. If you go with this (and I admit it's really pretty) you should pay for a really good leather protector package to ensure stains are easily removed. To your question about the driver assist package, I'm getting it for sure. I like knowing my car can do things to protect me faster than I can. As to discount, there is no standard. I've seen anywhere from 5 - 12%, so shop around to get your best price. One option would be to register on truecar.com and get the internet working for you. Your interest will be communicated to a number of dealers in your area and you can see what kind of deals they may offer.

rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 01:01 AM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 2,746
Thanked 282 Times in 258 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
They recommended the 18" wheels for the very reasons I've read, which is on 19" wheels the sidewall is shortened and can lead to more bent wheels and bubbled tires if you hit a pothole. I knew that 19" wheels are not necessarily better, but I just like the actual wheels that you can get over the 18." They also said that the 19" tires will wear out faster than the 18" and given these tires are expensive, I just prefer to not be dealing with buying tires sooner if I can avoid it. So I'm getting the 18."
Don't worry, 18" wheels will also get bent and cracked too. Maybe the replacements will just be cheaper than 19" wheels. I also have 17" wheels on another car and those had 45 series tires on them and I still ended up with 2 bent rims. The 18" I had two bent rims and one cracked one. Had to replace the cracked one, but got the bent ones fixed. We probably need at least 50 or 60 series tires to avoid bent/cracked rims from potholes, but manufacturers don't seem to be going back to those anytime soon.
cetialpha5 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 06:29 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Jupiter, Fl
Posts: 88
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
E400 Convertible
Drivers Assistance Package

We have the DAP in our 2018 E400 and it takes a few minutes to get use to it, especially the feature that "draws" the vehicle back into the lane when not been attentive or fail to signal on time. But otherwise, it is a great safety feature to have on your vehicle. Strongly recommended. And with regards to the choice of 18" or 19" wheel size, I prefer the 19". Nice rims and both are prone to sidewall and rim damages easily. Its matter of choice (style and cost). I have had them on my past two MB's (CLS and E400"s). Good luck with your new car.

Last edited by haibieb; 07-22-2018 at 06:33 AM.
haibieb is online now  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 184
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
2016 E350 4matic, 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Three points:

I came from BMW with leather seats and was highly suspect of the MB Tex. (prior to that an Audi 8L, BMW 740's and a few S Class all with leather seats). I have the light grey interior. After three years and over 23,000 miles the seats are as clean as when I got the car. Neither my wife nor I can tell the difference between the leather seats in our prior cars and the MB Tex in our E350 - other than the leather smell which goes away after several months. The MB Tex is neither hot in the summer nor rigid in the winter. The heated seats work perfectly with MB Tex.

If your MB is your daily car, here in the north east with all our potholes 18" wheels makes much more sense than 19" or 20" inch wheels. Granted the 19" and 20" look great, but the ride will be harsher and more prone to wheel damage. Fixing and/or replacing those 19" or 20" wheels can be very, very expensive!

Discount from MSRP: Again here in the north east Costco partners with Mercedes Benz. I am using the MB dealer in the Costco program and their prices, without negotiations, are much better than the dealer I have been using who is not in the Costco program.
JTK44 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 09:25 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
Don't worry, 18" wheels will also get bent and cracked too. Maybe the replacements will just be cheaper than 19" wheels. I also have 17" wheels on another car and those had 45 series tires on them and I still ended up with 2 bent rims. The 18" I had two bent rims and one cracked one. Had to replace the cracked one, but got the bent ones fixed. We probably need at least 50 or 60 series tires to avoid bent/cracked rims from potholes, but manufacturers don't seem to be going back to those anytime soon.
I have the same wheels on my 2016 C300 and have not yet suffered a bent rim, so hopefully, I'll have the same luck on the E450.

Originally Posted by haibieb View Post
We have the DAP in our 2018 E400 and it takes a few minutes to get use to it, especially the feature that "draws" the vehicle back into the lane when not been attentive or fail to signal on time. But otherwise, it is a great safety feature to have on your vehicle. Strongly recommended. And with regards to the choice of 18" or 19" wheel size, I prefer the 19". Nice rims and both are prone to sidewall and rim damages easily. Its matter of choice (style and cost). I have had them on my past two MB's (CLS and E400"s). Good luck with your new car.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Originally Posted by JTK44 View Post
Three points:

I came from BMW with leather seats and was highly suspect of the MB Tex. (prior to that an Audi 8L, BMW 740's and a few S Class all with leather seats). I have the light grey interior. After three years and over 23,000 miles the seats are as clean as when I got the car. Neither my wife nor I can tell the difference between the leather seats in our prior cars and the MB Tex in our E350 - other than the leather smell which goes away after several months. The MB Tex is neither hot in the summer nor rigid in the winter. The heated seats work perfectly with MB Tex.

If your MB is your daily car, here in the north east with all our potholes 18" wheels makes much more sense than 19" or 20" inch wheels. Granted the 19" and 20" look great, but the ride will be harsher and more prone to wheel damage. Fixing and/or replacing those 19" or 20" wheels can be very, very expensive!

Discount from MSRP: Again here in the north east Costco partners with Mercedes Benz. I am using the MB dealer in the Costco program and their prices, without negotiations, are much better than the dealer I have been using who is not in the Costco program.
The issue for me, is I live in Florida. I don't have any issue with MB TEX. They look just like leather and wear perfectly. The problem is living in Florida I have to have cooled seats and that's simply not an option with MB TEX clad seats.

rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 09:54 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 184
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
2016 E350 4matic, 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
You are correct:

From the DOG item 401 "Heated and Ventilated Front Seats" requires Premium Package (PO1) and Leather (2xx) or Nappa Leather (8XX).

Too bad, as $450 for the ventilated seats while expensive is nice to have in Florida, but leather really is expensive!
JTK44 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 09:58 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by JTK44 View Post
You are correct:

From the DOG item 401 "Heated and Ventilated Front Seats" requires Premium Package (PO1) and Leather (2xx) or Nappa Leather (8XX).

Too bad, as $450 for the ventilated seats while expensive is nice to have in Florida, but leather really is expensive!
If cooled seats wasn't an extremely important option for me, I'd go with MB TEX. In years past, when you paid for leather seats, ventilated seats came as part of the leather option. Now they've made it a standalone option.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,683
Thanked 183 Times in 164 Posts
.
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Yes, but only in the sense that it would be bad for Mercedes, Mercedes customers and the automotive industry as a whole. Currently, there are no tariffs on imports to the US. I remain confident this won't come to be. High ranking officials in Congress have publicly said they want to kill the study, so I'm not particularly worried at this moment.
Not exactly! Currently there is a 25% tariff on imported pickup trucks and a 2% tariff on cars. Both of these tariffs have been in force for decades.
ua549 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
Not exactly! Currently there is a 25% tariff on imported pickup trucks and a 2% tariff on cars. Both of these tariffs have been in force for decades.
Yes, of course. I meant the tariffs that have been proposed are not in force and I truly believe they won't be.

rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:41 AM
  #16  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 Ford Fusion hybrid
I appreciate everyone's replies. I also live in Florida so the ventilated seats are important to me. So is trying to keep the car from getting to 120 degrees in a parking lot so I was hoping to keep the interior color light and stay away from a black exterior. I certainly don't want to pay top dollar for an expensive leather option just to have my jeans bleed through so I appreciate the advice.
Steve2018 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:45 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by Steve2018 View Post
I appreciate everyone's replies. I also live in Florida so the ventilated seats are important to me. So is trying to keep the car from getting to 120 degrees in a parking lot so I was hoping to keep the interior color light and stay away from a black exterior. I certainly don't want to pay top dollar for an expensive leather option just to have my jeans bleed through so I appreciate the advice.
Have the windows tinted with high quality tint that blocks out most of the UV light and keeps the car cooler in the sun.

rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,683
Thanked 183 Times in 164 Posts
.
Originally Posted by Steve2018 View Post
I appreciate everyone's replies. I also live in Florida so the ventilated seats are important to me. So is trying to keep the car from getting to 120 degrees in a parking lot so I was hoping to keep the interior color light and stay away from a black exterior. I certainly don't want to pay top dollar for an expensive leather option just to have my jeans bleed through so I appreciate the advice.
Make sure to get the acoustic comfort package. The IR reflective glass is worth it.
ua549 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:55 AM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 184
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
2016 E350 4matic, 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Point of information:

If you order the Sport styling (321) and want ventilated seats ($450) you must order leather 201, 214 or 215, $1620 (total $2070) but if you order the Luxury Styling (167) to get the same ventilated seats you must order either Nappa leather (801. 814 or 815) at a cost of $2990 (total $3440) or Designo leather at a cost of $4,900.(total cost $5350).

This makes no sense!

Am I reading the DOG correctly?
JTK44 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 11:02 AM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by JTK44 View Post
Point of information:

If you order the Sport styling (321) and want ventilated seats ($450) you must order leather 201, 214 or 215, $1620 (total $2070) but if you order the Luxury Styling (167) to get the same ventilated seats you must order either Nappa leather (801. 814 or 815) at a cost of $2990 (total $3440) or Designo leather at a cost of $4,900.(total cost $5350).

This makes no sense!

Am I reading the DOG correctly?
I don't believe that is correct. This is what is stated for heated and ventilated seats:

Heated and Ventilated Front Seats Requires P01 Premium Package and Leather (2xx) or Nappa Leather (8xx) Upholstery Not available with heated front seats (873)
All Models $ 450



rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 11:13 AM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 184
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
2016 E350 4matic, 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Yes: I previously posted POI plus leather:

However, according to the DOG with the Sport Styling (321) the leather option is $1,620. With the Luxury Styling (167) there are two leather options: Nappa cost $2,990 or designo cost $4,900.

In the DOG for Luxury Styling there is no $1,620 leather option.

Am I missing something?
JTK44 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 11:18 AM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by JTK44 View Post
Yes: I previously posted POI plus leather:

However, according to the DOG with the Sport Styling (321) the leather option is $1,620. With the Luxury Styling (167) there are two leather options: Nappa cost $2,990 or designo cost $4,900.

In the DOG for Luxury Styling there is no $1,620 leather option.

Am I missing something?
I just went and looked and you are correct. If you're going to order the Luxury version and you want ventilated seats, looks like you'll have to pop for Napa Leather. Wow, I guess they really want to emphasize the "LUXURY" in Luxury.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 AM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 184
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
2016 E350 4matic, 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
I prefer the Luxury styling as the wheels are bigger (softer ride) less prone to pot hole damage and there is extra 1/2 an inch (10%) of ground clearance important for me in parking lots with concrete bumper stops and in snow conditions when I go north for skiing. With the luxury styling I do not have to worry about hitting the lower part of the front fenders (spoiler) when I park!

In any event I guess if you want ventilated seats you get the sport and not luxury styling!
JTK44 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 11:47 AM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,246
Thanked 142 Times in 124 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic & 2018 E300
Originally Posted by JTK44 View Post
I prefer the Luxury styling as the wheels are bigger (softer ride) less prone to pot hole damage and there is extra 1/2 an inch (10%) of ground clearance important for me in parking lots with concrete bumper stops and in snow conditions when I go north for skiing. With the luxury styling I do not have to worry about hitting the lower part of the front fenders (spoiler) when I park!

In any event I guess if you want ventilated seats you get the sport and not luxury styling!
Of you just spend more $$$$ and get what you want.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 07-22-2018 at 11:55 AM.
rbrylaw is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rbrylaw For This Useful Post:
Cubfan (08-12-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:04 PM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 78
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
e300
Besides the engine change, what else is changing on the E450 compared to the current model? And what made you want to want to buy the E450 over the current E400?
mobster600 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordered a 2019 E450 Today


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: