E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Wood Centre Console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
GLC
Wood Centre Console

I was perusing the Mercedes Germany site and noted that glossy burl walnut wood was available as an option in place of the standard piano black centre console finish. So this part is out there - for those that may be interested.

The following users liked this post:
amf77 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by chillysyrup
I was perusing the Mercedes Germany site and noted that glossy burl walnut wood was available as an option in place of the standard piano black centre console finish. So this part is out there - for those that may be interested.
Don't. Really. Just Don't....

Burl Walnut is subject to horrible fading, bleaching under sunlight. Something about the open grain in the wood species under UV light that does not affect other genuine woods, combined with minimal (if any) UV protectant in the wood finish. The W212 Forum is littered with people complaining about their "milky" Burl Walnut.

Here's just one thread among dozens...https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...m-removal.html

Pick any other brown wood and you'll be fine. Much better than the ugly piano black wood.

The Laurelwood pieces in my 17 year-old MB are showroom perfect. But this is how the Burl Walnut looked in my 2016 E-Class (W212) after just a couple years... It's since been replaced under warranty. But MB will not replace it every two years past warranty.

If you plan to rent (err, lease) your car for 2-3 years, then I suppose it's the next owner's problem. But it's probably best not to have this wood trolling around, even in the used world. Mercedes-Benz needs to be taught not to foist such crap on the market. Genuine imitation (plastic) walnut would be more preferable....

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-05-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Don't. Really. Just Don't....

Burl Walnut is subject to horrible fading, bleaching under sunlight. Something about the open grain in the wood species under UV light that does not affect other genuine woods. The W212 Forum is littered with people complaining about their "milky" Burl Walnut.

Pick any other brown wood and you'll be fine. Much better than the ugly piano black wood.

The Laurelwood pieces in my 17 year-old MB are perfect. But this is how the Burl Walnut looked in my 2016 E-Class (W212) after a couple years... It's since been replaced under warranty. But MB will not replace it every two years past warranty.

If you plan the rent (err, lease) your car for 2 years, then I suppose it's the next owner's problem. But it's probably best not to have this wood trolling around, even in the used world. Mercedes-Benz needs to be taught not to foist such crap on the market. Genuine imitation (plastic) walnut would be more preferable....

Something is clearly wrong with the wood you got. We just traded a 3 year old GLC with the Burl Walnut wood, which looked as new and perfect as the day we took delivery.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Something is clearly wrong with the wood you got. We just traded a 3 year old GLC with the Burl Walnut wood, which looked as new and perfect as the day we took delivery.
Not just mine. As noted before, there are many, many people complaining about the Burl Walnut in their W212 E-Classes throughout its model run. Street "wisdom" is that the problem was fixed by 2014, but my 2016 looked like you see above after just a couple years.

This is probably not a problem in the northern latitudes (Germany and Europe), but I live in a southern climate (Dallas area), and the car spent its first two years in the Miami area. Both are much closer to the Equator, where the sun angle is higher in summer, allowing the UV rays to bleach the wood for longer periods each day, especially if parked outside at work.

The more upright windshield/forward roofline in your (Tampa-based) GLC probably helped limit sun entry. But the sedan naturally has a more raked angle windshield, permitting more sun through the glass. The lack of windshield header tinting doesn't help, either. There is heavy window tinting throughout the rest of my car since new, and the OEM wood matching the dash in the doors looks perfectly new. It's just the dash and first 3-4 inches of each front door that gets tattooed by the sun.

I love the wood, really. But I've adopted an extreme strategy to shade the dash replacement wood anytime it's parked outside the garage. See the thread in which I posted (previous post) for info. Thankfully, this is how it looks now.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-05-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Not just mine. As noted before, there are many, many people complaining about the Burl Walnut in their W212 E-Classes. Street "wisdom" is that the problem was fixed by 2014, but my 2016 looked like you see above after just a couple years.

I live in a southern climate (Dallas area), and the car spent its first two years in the Miami area. It seems many of the complaints are from folks living in the south, where the sun angle is higher in summer, allowing the UV rays to bleach the wood for longer periods each day, especially if parked outside at work.

The more upright windshield in your GLC probably helped limit sun entry. But the sedan windshield has a more raked angle, permitting more sun through the glass. The lack of windshield header tinting doesn't help, either. There is heavy window tinting throughout the rest of the car, and the matching wood in those doors looks perfectly new. It's just the dash and first 3-4 inches of each front door that gets tattooed by the sun.

I love the wood, really. But I've adopted an extreme strategy to shade the dash replacement wood anytime it's parked outside the garage. See the thread I posted above for info. How it looks now.

We live in Tampa, FL so the car saw lots of sun. I'm not doubting your experience, I'm just saying it wasn't universal and certainly not one we had.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
I'm also in the sunny Tampa area and burl walnut has always been my wood of choice. I've had no fading wood or other interior issues even with the '77 300d that I kept for 11 years. The glass was not tinted.
superangrypenguin (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
I have NEVER had an issue with my Burl Walnut trim and I absolutely adore it, so the point where my next car will definitely have it. That said, I do wax it (with automotive wax) once a year to help with the clear coat.

That said my windows are tinted....but my car is also coming up to 7 years old.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model

I have a 2017 E with glossy burlwood and piano black center console. I would have loved to have burlwood as well for center console. If there is a way to get that done I would happily do it. Hate the piano black
Old 09-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Originally Posted by kingscorpian27

I have a 2017 E with glossy burlwood and piano black center console. I would have loved to have burlwood as well for center console. If there is a way to get that done I would happily do it. Hate the piano black
me too!
Old 09-06-2018, 07:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
GLC
It's a fairly easy install to replace the centre console trim. Someone on this site wrote a post on how to do it. The only barrier would be the part cost IMO.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:25 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
^^^ look for posts/threads by vic viper...
Old 09-08-2018, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Well, I'm not trying to be an alarmist on this. But my Mercedes Dealership Svce advisor tells me that hardly a week goes by when they aren't replacing one or two sets of Burl Walnut trim.

I'm not a woodworker, but I know a couple, and they don't recommend Walnut for outside exposure. Do a Google search and you will find Walnut nowhere on the top ten list of preferred woods for outdoor furniture...
http://www.tablelegsonline.com/tlobl...door-projects/
https://familywoodworking.org/forums...r-exterior-use

As I mentioned before, the Laurelwood in my C320 still looks great after 17 years, and I am hard-pressed to tell you any difference in the appearance of either species. So, if you are like me and desire the richness of beautiful wood, and live in a southern latitude, I would recommend picking from any wood other than Burl Walnut.

If you must have the Burl Walnut and the car is not parked 1) in a garage at night AND 2) in a parking garage at work (read 120° inside for hours in the sun) IMO you might be pressing your luck, with parts that cost more than $2000 (add labor) to replace once your warranty ends.

Just food for thought... I won't harp on it further.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-08-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 w230

Hello,

I would really appreciate it if you would you please share the part number and/or website for the Center console wood burr shiny. Would you be able to send it to cvn458@aol.com?

Thank you very much.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:31 AM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
It's a fairly easy install to replace the centre console trim. Someone on this site wrote a post on how to do it. The only barrier would be the part cost IMO.
i have changed my piano black for black ash. took about 30 mins. four screws to release the console, 6 electrical connenctors and then pop out the old switch banks and clip into the new trim (the climate switches were the most difficult clips to access.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by cesar negrete
Hello,

I would really appreciate it if you would you please share the part number and/or website for the Center console wood burr shiny. Would you be able to send it to cvn458@aol.com?

Thank you very much.
I have had two dealerships order the glossy burl walnut for me and the color was way off on both occasions. I would love to change mine as well but have had no luck so far. I too would love to see what part number used to match existing
Old 05-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
As explained to cesar negrete here’s what I found in EPC: MBUSA does not offer console trim in burr walnut wood 731 however, it is available in burl walnut 777 (photo) try 2136803907. Before ordering check with dealer parts to confirm finish, compatibility with analogue clock & premium ambiance lighting, and see if they will match MB dealer online price.

$504.85 (compare shipping cost)
https://www.mbdirectparts.com/
https://www.mercedesgenuineparts.com/
https://www.oregonmercedesparts.com
https://parts.keyesmercedes.com
https://parts.mercedesbenzofdurham.com
https://www.oempartdepot.com
Old 06-02-2021, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w213 E300
Originally Posted by konigstiger
As explained to cesar negrete here’s what I found in EPC: MBUSA does not offer console trim in burr walnut wood 731 however, it is available in burl walnut 777 (photo) try 2136803907. Before ordering check with dealer parts to confirm finish, compatibility with analogue clock & premium ambiance lighting, and see if they will match MB dealer online price.

$504.85 (compare shipping cost)
https://www.mbdirectparts.com/
https://www.mercedesgenuineparts.com/
https://www.oregonmercedesparts.com
https://parts.keyesmercedes.com
https://parts.mercedesbenzofdurham.com
https://www.oempartdepot.com

just installed Burl walnut instead of my piano black. Do not believe what dealer will tell you that it will not fit it’s bull**** just buy part number 2136803907 and you will be pleased with result. I ordered mine from mercedesgenuineparts.com dealer will tell you the story that 2017 MB not compatable with consoles from 2019 MB but it’s not true result you can see on my image
Keith59 (07-18-2023)
Old 06-02-2021, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by KostuM

just installed Burl walnut instead of my piano black. Do not believe what dealer will tell you that it will not fit it’s bull**** just buy part number 2136803907 and you will be pleased with result. I ordered mine from mercedesgenuineparts.com dealer will tell you the story that 2017 MB not compatable with consoles from 2019 MB but it’s not true result you can see on my image
I am so jealous, I ordered from two different dealers and received the same brown color that didn’t match my reddish color walnut. I have wanted to do this from I purchased the car, not sure what they were smoking why they decided to equip the car with that hideous piano black
Old 06-08-2023, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3er
So did anyone do this? I just got a w213 and in the same boat. Piano black is horrible.
If so
Where did you get the part? Link?
DIY - Video? I've seen a few on YouTube doing different work with it.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:37 AM

Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts
2022 E450 All-Terrain
I have the open pore black ash wood in my car. I am not a fan of black ash wood and would dearly have wanted the brownish woods like burl walnut. If it is an easy fix, I might just get it done, and since my car has a film (including in the front windshield and the panoramic sunroof) that cuts out 100% of the UV, I am not worried at all about discoloration.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 w230
Burl Wood Center Console

Hi,
Im very happy that I had the piano black and had the Burl Wood installed. I ordered the part number 2136803907 and had my mechanic install it for $100.

It didn't look that difficult but I personally would not attempt it but there are many videos on the installation.

Again, I 100% recommend as it looks so much better and you don't see the fine scratches.

Definitely worth removing the piano black and replacing it wit burl walnut. $550 incl shipping and $100 for installation from regular mechanic (30 mins). Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by cesar negrete:
jimh6 (06-12-2023), Roweraay (06-08-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 04:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2024 Mercedes E200
I have to admit, the burl wood looks beautiful.

I have black ashwood which I just got replaced under warranty as multiple cracks started to appear (I live in [very] sunny Dubai).

Would have loved to change the full trim to burl!
Old 07-18-2023, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 E300 w/ Luxury Pkg
I just ordered mine the other day and cannot wait to change the black plastic out!
jimh6 (07-19-2023)