My new 2018 E300 has numorous small problems, help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350, 2003 E320
My new 2018 E300 has numorous small problems, help

Hi

We just bought a 2018 E300 about 2 months ago, we only have 1000 mi on it. We have a lot of small problems. Maybe someone can help or advice:
1) I don't like the engine start stop feature, I have to push the button labeled "A" on the lower left of the center console to defeat the engine start stop. BUT over 7 or 8 times, pushing the button changed the radio station.
2) I cannot program the remote follow the instruction, I had two different people from the dealer came out. They claimed my remote ( the hand held I have) is too new, I have to get the original remote for my older Craftsman opener. So I looked, they don't sell it anymore, I have to buy the LiftMaster that is compatible to the old remote, I did, still it doesn't work.
3) One time when I was driving and came to a stop with engine still running and transmission on "D", my wife opened the passenger door, all of a sudden, the screen black out, radio turned off. But the car is still running, I can still pull into the garage.
4) The check engine light came on yesterday and stay on.
5) One time when we did shopping and came back, we found all 4 windows were half down and the moon roof partially opened.
6) One time, my wife notice the gas cap door was open where she remembered clearly she closed it after filling the gas.
7) The other day, while driving, it display the gas door had problem. I went down, pushed the door, the display did not go away. I open the gas door, slam it shut, then the display went away.

Other than the check engine light and the gas door, I complained to the service dept and they said they ran the test and no error report.

Anyone have these problem? Any advice?

I regret buying this car. We had good experience with MB. The first E320 is 2003, it lasted till we traded it in. My 2014 ML350 is a dream, believe it or not, it has never been to service ( of cause change oil many times ). This one is a dog.

Another thing that is so irritating is every time you push any button, there is always a 3 second delay before it react. The most annoying is when you shift the transmission, it takes a few seconds to shift. The other two MB is nothing....I mean NOTHING like this. I would not buy another MB anymore after this.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2018, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
Be careful when turning off the ECO start/stop. If the side on your hand gets too close to the track pad, it will register as a touch and change the radio station.

The shifting delay can be caused by attempting to shift to a gear that is not next to the gear the car is in. Example car is in 3 and you quickly upshift twice in a row to get to 5. The transmission will not shift from 3 to 5 without going through 4. Thus the delay.

Last edited by ua549; 09-29-2018 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Alan0354 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
Originally Posted by Alan0354
2) I cannot program the remote follow the instruction, I had two different people from the dealer came out. They claimed my remote ( the hand held I have) is too new, I have to get the original remote for my older Craftsman opener. So I looked, they don't sell it anymore, I have to buy the LiftMaster that is compatible to the old remote, I did, still it doesn't work.
I had this issue when I replaced my garage door opener where my older vehicle Homelink was no longer compatible. Ended up purchasing one of these for my Chamberlain. I think Craftsman & Liftmaster are the same.
5) One time when we did shopping and came back, we found all 4 windows were half down and the moon roof partially opened.
This sounds like a user error where a button was depressed for an extended period on the remote.

Alan0354 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 01:30 PM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by ua549
Be careful when turning off the ECO start/stop. If the side on your hand gets too close to the track pad, it will register as a touch and change the radio station.

The shifting delay can be caused by attempting to shift to a gear that is not next to the gear the car is in. Example car is in 3 and you quickly upshift twice in a row to get to 5. The transmission will not shift from 3 to 5 without going through 4. Thus the delay.
Thanks for the reply, we are very careful, I am sure I did not touch anything when pushing the ECO because we aware of the problem.

I am not talking about up shift or down shift. Just simple from R to D, or from P to D. Ha ha, We're to old to worry about manual shifting!!! The salesman told us about everything has a delay, even changing the fan speed. This one is not a problem, just a big complain.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:32 PM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by MikeO3
I had this issue when I replaced my garage door opener where my older vehicle Homelink was no longer compatible. Ended up purchasing one of these for my Chamberlain. I think Craftsman & Liftmaster are the same.

This sounds like a user error where a button was depressed for an extended period on the remote.
You might have a point. I was kind of suspect that. That's why I come here to ask. It's too perfect that all windows were half down and the moon roof cracked half open. Can you tell me what button you press and hold to do this?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S450-4matic
MB has the market share they wanted at the cost of QC

Hi

We just bought a 2018 E300 about 2 months ago, we only have 1000 mi on it. We have a lot of small problems. Maybe someone can help or advice:
1) I don't like the engine start stop feature, I have to push the button labeled "A" on the lower left of the center console to defeat the engine start stop. BUT over 7 or 8 times, pushing the button changed the radio station.
3) One time when I was driving and came to a stop with engine still running and transmission on "D", my wife opened the passenger door, all of a sudden, the screen black out, radio turned off. But the car is still running, I can still pull into the garage.
4) The check engine light came on yesterday and stay on.
6) One time, my wife notice the gas cap door was open where she remembered clearly she closed it after filling the gas.
7) The other day, while driving, it display the gas door had problem. I went down, pushed the door, the display did not go away. I open the gas door, slam it shut, then the display went away.

Other than the check engine light and the gas door, I complained to the service dept and they said they ran the test and no error report.

Anyone have these problem? Any advice?

I regret buying this car. We had good experience with MB. The first E320 is 2003, it lasted till we traded it in. My 2014 ML350 is a dream, believe it or not, it has never been to service ( of cause change oil many times ). This one is a dog.

Another thing that is so irritating is every time you push any button, there is always a 3 second delay before it react. The most annoying is when you shift the transmission, it takes a few seconds to shift. The other two MB is nothing....I mean NOTHING like this. I would not buy another MB anymore after this.

Thanks
I just took delivery of my 2019 E300-4matic
and it has several problems akin to the ones you’re having, they all revolve around the car’s electrical system which reminds me of the very old Lucas electric systems found in old Jaguars, a nightmare!
MB wanted market share at the cost of the quality of their cars and it has now gotten to the point where it is grossly evident.
MB now has built the E class from a very beautiful and reliable car (W212) into a supposedly cutting edge vehicle (W213) that
is truly an unknown nightmare that acts in very weird ways as well as making me feel
unsafe just driving it, simply because I don’t ever know what to expect from it. It’s truly a shame and the icing on the cake is that imo
MB has turned a deaf ear to their customers.
Frankly when the 2019 Audi A6 comes out if it’s everything the auto pundits are saying it is then I’ m ready to kiss this MB nightmare
good bye. To me I know now that MB has taken second place to Audi, it’s truly unfortunate.
Doc
Alan0354 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2013 E350 Cabriolet, 2005 E320 Wagon
Can you tell me what button you press and hold to do this?
Press and hold Unlock on the key fob to lower the windows. (Conversely, you can also press and hold Lock to close the windows.)
Alan0354 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:08 PM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by WalterRoss
Press and hold Unlock on the key fob to lower the windows. (Conversely, you can also press and hold Lock to close the windows.)
This is so helpful. Thanks

If I can't find my car in the lot, do I push the red button and hold it to make it sound?
Old 09-29-2018, 03:44 PM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by riamga

and it has several problems akin to the ones you’re having, they all revolve around the car’s electrical system which reminds me of the very old Lucas electric systems found in old Jaguars, a nightmare!
MB wanted market share at the cost of the quality of their cars and it has now gotten to the point where it is grossly evident.
MB now has built the E class from a very beautiful and reliable car (W212) into a supposedly cutting edge vehicle (W213) that
is truly an unknown nightmare that acts in very weird ways as well as making me feel
unsafe just driving it, simply because I don’t ever know what to expect from it. It’s truly a shame and the icing on the cake is that imo
Frankly when the 2019 Audi A6 comes out if it’s everything the auto pundits are saying it is then I’ m ready to kiss this MB nightmare
good bye. To me I know now that MB has taken second place to Audi, it’s truly unfortunate.
Doc
I regret buying this car. Not only the car has problem, the service dept gone down hill also. We had the 2003 E320 since new until we traded in for the new car, I really can't complain too much, it was a nice car. The 2014 ML350 is a dream. Only been to service when it was 2 weeks old for wheel alignment. Knock on wood, never been to the shop other than changing oil. I read consumer reports, the new E300 supposed to be good, I thought I got a lemon, I guess I am not alone.

Watch out Audi. I follow Consumer Reports, Audi and BMW are very reliable the first 4 or 5 years, then they seem to go to hell after that. Particular the I4 engine. I subscribed to Consumer Reports online for a month before I bought this car, I looked at the reliability report of Audi and BMW, they have it for the pass over 10 years. Audi's V6 seems to be ok, the I4 seems to be a problem. Don't take my words, it's worth your money to subscribe the online for 1 month and check those out.

I want to change my ML350 when it is about 8 years old, maybe I should keep it longer!!! What's wrong with MB, they used to make good cars!!!
Old 09-30-2018, 01:23 AM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by riamga

Doc
I should have bought the 2016 E350. I was being too damn smart!!! I wait until March of 2017 to go shop thinking I could get a super deal on the left over 2016. WRONG, they're all gone!!! I looked all over in my area, there's just none new ones left....The good old simple V6. Just a few days ago right out side of the supermarket, there was a W212 same metallic grey color as ours parking right next to ours. Both me and my wife was looking around that car admiring how pretty it is. This new W213 looks like the C class!!! After having this car for two months, I still can't tell the E from the C!!!

Only thing pretty about this car is the interior lights, and also the projected image of the MB logo on the floor when the door is opened.

We tried so hard to find a stripped down car because I don't want lane change assist and all the auto interruption feature. I just don't trust the active computer control stuffs. I afraid it can go crazy and gets me into accident. From all these problems, the fear is absolutely justified.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 415 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
My 2016 E350 is coming off lease. Color is Diamond silver with light grey interior. 27,000 miles. Residual is $37,459 to Mercedes Benz financial - nothing to me.. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:35 PM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Originally Posted by JTK44
My 2016 E350 is coming off lease. Color is Diamond silver with light grey interior. 27,000 miles. Residual is $37,459 to Mercedes Benz financial - nothing to me.. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks, but my wife is dead set on a new car. I was telling her about off lease cars already.

IF you like the car, maybe you should keep it a little longer. I was thinking about getting a new SUV when my 2014 ML350 turns 8 year old, I have second thought about that now. It's still is a little bit of old school without the mouse and all the tablet/I phone stuffs. As an EE for decades designing computer controlled system, I have no faith on computers. They fail, they hung, software have bugs. They never can be fully debug because by the time they even come close to being reliable, they are obsoleted already and need to be changed.......there goes the vicious cycle again.

I would never buy a car that is self drive, lane change assist and all those that can step in and drive. It's just sad that ALL the classy cars are going this way. It's hard to find the ML those days that has minimal, but at least I found one with 4Matic but minimal others. I just couldn't find one on the E300. I had to settle with AMG trim with 19" rim to get the minimal trim. Might have to downgrade our cars in the future to Toyota or some lesser cars to get away from all these.

I find the mouse thing is the most offensive. Everything is multiple steps. Yes, you can have more option of doing the same task, you can control on the steering wheel, the mouse, or some other ways. But it's all multiple steps, touch, scroll, touch to get into different pages of function. It's ok if you are working on the laptop. It's NOT ok if you are driving and have to keep your eyes on the road. I work on computer hours a day, I don't feel excited nor do I feel proud to know how to control a car with all these.

the most offensive thing is like yesterday, I had to make a U turn on a narrow street. I had to do a 3 point turn, the transmission just very slow to shift from D to R or back. Here I was trying to make the turn before another car come around. I shift, stepped on the gas, I could hear the engine rev up, then the transmission engaged, the RPM suddenly drop as it engage. This hurts the transmission. Everything is slow in this new car. You try to get out of a jam, then the car want to think for a moment to make sure that's what you want before reluctantly follow your command!!! This really kills me.

Only saving grace is this is primary my wife's car, I have the ML. I usually don't drive this stupid car, just the last two weeks my wife hurt her knee in the gym and it's hard for her to step up to the ML and I have to be stuck with this stupid car.

Last edited by Alan0354; 09-30-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
I don't like the engine start stop feature, I have to push the button labeled "A" on the lower left of the center console to defeat the engine start stop. BUT over 7 or 8 times, pushing the button changed the radio station.
I too don't like this "feature." See my post regarding the stop-start feature and what I did about it.
Alan0354 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 12:53 PM

2014 ML350, 2003 E320
Another problem popped up. The radio station keep resetting itself continuously. We change from AM560 to FM95.6, it changed back to AM560, we switched back to FM95.6, it switch back again and again and again. We were watching each other, I was the passenger, I folded my hand totally away from any buttons or anything. My wife's hands are on the steering wheel away from all the controls. It just switched over and over. We made an appointment to bring it in next Tuesday. This car is something.