E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Is it worth subscribing for in car internet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Is it worth subscribing for in car internet

I have not as yet activated the free 4 week trial. I have 30gb data on my mobile (cellphone) plan and can hook up to the car with android auto and have tune in internet radio playing fine albeit I can also cast that via bluetooth. I do not like the android auto graphics at all and miss the split mercedes graphic I usually have of map and media.

I do not know if Android Auto supports YouTube anyone else know?

Reception of 4G is patchy here and it seems the chosen provider SFR (vodafone in other areas of europe) does not have full coverage yet.

So my question is whether those who have tried the car connectivity on its own data plan think it is better than via android auto. I assume that if connected this way there are a lot of additional apps I can load direct into the car and I can access Youtube?

To be totally honest the vast majority of my use of the car is as transport direct A to B and I rarely find myself needing video entertainment in the car. Few passengers will need to use my car for wi fi connection as they have their own 4g plans. I can interrogate the net if needed on the phone to search trip adviser etc but the internet radio would be of useful as although the car is well set up to use my own material on the phone, sd cards and usb sticks they are require the time to populate them and frankly life is just a bit too short to keep building up a collection.

So others views would be appreciated.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
as far as i know a "connected" car can not get internet via a mobile phone...
you can only stream music from phone to car (via the bluetooth)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by parkwood
I have not as yet activated the free 4 week trial. I have 30gb data on my mobile (cellphone) plan and can hook up to the car with android auto and have tune in internet radio playing fine albeit I can also cast that via bluetooth. I do not like the android auto graphics at all and miss the split mercedes graphic I usually have of map and media.

Reception of 4G is patchy here and it seems the chosen provider SFR (vodafone in other areas of europe) does not have full coverage yet.

So my question is whether those who have tried the car connectivity on its own data plan think it is better than via android auto. I assume that if connected this way there are a lot of additional apps I can load direct into the car and I can access Youtube?

To be totally honest the vast majority of my use of the car is as transport direct A to B and I rarely find myself needing video entertainment in the car. Few passengers will need to use my car for wi fi connection as they have their own 4g plans. I can interrogate the net if needed on the phone to search trip adviser etc but the internet radio would be of useful as although the car is well set up to use my own material on the phone, sd cards and usb sticks they are require the time to populate them and frankly life is just a bit too short to keep building up a collection.

I certainly purchased the in-car internet service but then we share 6gb of data/month on our cell plans and this provides unlimited data in the car, so it was a good investment in our situation. Other than a mistake they made programming my vehicle at the beginning, the service has been excellent and always on since.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by parkwood

I used mine for the free trial period and didn’t subscribe after . It’s a bit slow in my opinion. I have unlimited data plan on my Verizon cell phone plan so that was a no brainer. With Apple Carplay you get Pandora, YouTube, Spotify,Stitcher, Podcast and many more depending on what’s on your phone. Waze is also included now with the new Apple iOS 12.0.1 update . All are also controllable from steering wheel
Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
W123 300CD, R107 560SL, W211 E320
A serious wreck waiting to happen.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon
A serious wreck waiting to happen.
How is that so
Old 10-16-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts