E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Lights off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lights off?

Hi, I have an e300 2017. I would like to know if there is a way that i can turn off all the lights around the outside, and the inside of the car, and still leave it running.
I like to sit in the car when i'm early for an appointment at night without all the lights on.
Thanks, in advance,
Old 10-25-2018, 11:53 AM
rox

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E220d
Yes you can. Turn the light switch all the way to left. But once you turn off the car don't forget to put it back to ''Auto''.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
Originally Posted by rox
Yes you can. Turn the light switch all the way to left. But once you turn off the car don't forget to put it back to ''Auto''.
On my US spec 2018 E400 this does not turn off all the exterior lights: the far left positions (there are two which are closer than rest of switch positions) turn on left or right parking lights. I have managed to 'trick' the system after turning the ignition off by opening the drivers door, as if I were getting out, and then closing it; after the usual exit delay all the lights go off.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by wagonsrock
On my US spec 2018 E400 this does not turn off all the exterior lights: the far left positions (there are two which are closer than rest of switch positions) turn on left or right parking lights. I have managed to 'trick' the system after turning the ignition off by opening the drivers door, as if I were getting out, and then closing it; after the usual exit delay all the lights go off.
You are correct. I'd wager a guess this is a DOT or NHTSA requirement that if it's dark and your car engine is running, lights are mandatory.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:42 PM
rox

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E220d
Originally Posted by wagonsrock
In my case, engine has to be running. If you turn it off and leave light switch all the way on left side. Parking lights on left side are glowing.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Same system in my MY 2015 C300. If the engine is running, some lights have to be lit. I ask, what took the feds so long? This important safety feature prevents those "ghost cars" you DON"T see at night (especially, if they are black)! What you can't do is turn your lights off and on to signal those other cars that are driving with their lights off. (I was following another car a few nights ago that had the tail lights out, although the headlights were working. I could only switch from "AUTO" headlights to running lights and back again."

Also, there have been several fatal accidents recently that were caused by wrong-way drivers on our local interstate highways. Some of them occurred late at night when the two cars were the only cars on the road. One asks, how could these happen on a three- or four-lane highway? Simple, the drunks steer for the lights of the oncoming car; it's all that they can see! I have tried to prepare myself mentally for such a situation. I would prefer to turn OFF all of my lights and steer for the breakdown lane. The best I can do with my Mercedes lights is turn my light switch all the way to the left (European standing lights on the left side only), as I steer for the breakdown lane. Then open the door and bail (telling any passengers to do the same).
Old 10-29-2018, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 776 Likes on 614 Posts
I just experimented: the European standing lights on either the left or right do not function in my car. When either is selected, no exterior lights are visible. This is during daylight hours with the engine running and the transmission in drive. I'll try this again after sunset.

It works the same way at night. Just turn the light switch all the way to one of the 2 leftmost positions. In my other life before retirement I often sat in my car with all the lights doused and the engine running. It is a very useful feature.

Last edited by ua549; 10-30-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
You are correct. I'd wager a guess this is a DOT or NHTSA requirement that if it's dark and your car engine is running, lights are mandatory.
It's not a DOT or NHTSA requirement. Other cars, including BMWs, have an OFF mode for the lights. I think Mercedes does not offer an OFF mode because they think too many Americans forget to turn their lights on, so they just have an AUTO mode.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 s550
Originally Posted by etaynor
Hi, I have an e300 2017. I would like to know if there is a way that i can turn off all the lights around the outside, and the inside of the car, and still leave it running.
I like to sit in the car when i'm early for an appointment at night without all the lights on.
Thanks, in advance,
Its ok.. pharmaceutical rep we will call it, been there and understand completely. Those auto light settings suck at 3 am in some sketchy neighborhood
Old 10-05-2021, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 s550
Originally Posted by gfmohn
Same system in my MY 2015 C300. If the engine is running, some lights have to be lit. I ask, what took the feds so long? This important safety feature prevents those "ghost cars" you DON"T see at night (especially, if they are black)! What you can't do is turn your lights off and on to signal those other cars that are driving with their lights off. (I was following another car a few nights ago that had the tail lights out, although the headlights were working. I could only switch from "AUTO" headlights to running lights and back again."

Also, there have been several fatal accidents recently that were caused by wrong-way drivers on our local interstate highways. Some of them occurred late at night when the two cars were the only cars on the road. One asks, how could these happen on a three- or four-lane highway? Simple, the drunks steer for the lights of the oncoming car; it's all that they can see! I have tried to prepare myself mentally for such a situation. I would prefer to turn OFF all of my lights and steer for the breakdown lane. The best I can do with my Mercedes lights is turn my light switch all the way to the left (European standing lights on the left side only), as I steer for the breakdown lane. Then open the door and bail (telling any passengers to do the same).

Actually I think that's GPS that causes those kind of accidents because my ex. If the gps said make a left. A left was made whether it was the correct spot to make a left or not