2019 AMG E53 Sedan Burmester

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I'm not defending the system. You said: "The base Burmester system is what is offensive to me. Seriously? A $80,000 car without a subwoofer? The most offensive part about the Burmester base system is the lack of true lows." I was merely pointing that a well designed woofer, one capable of moving a large volume of air can be more accurate. Perhaps that's why the Burmester comes with woofers, not a subwoofer. But that's just conjecture on my part. You're MORE than entitled to your opinion. Just don't put your opinion out there and then get your feathers ruffled if someone has a different opinion.
In my view I'm reading your posts by inferring that your feathers were ruffled so thus the need to chime in. I quite frankly don't have skin with either system. I'm probably the most impartial person here as I don't even own either system yet.

In a world where subwoofers don't need to exist based on your logic, the upgraded 3D Burmester system would not have one either, but it does.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
In my view I'm reading your posts by inferring that your feathers were ruffled so thus the need to chime in. I quite frankly don't have skin with either system. I'm probably the most impartial person here as I don't even own either system yet.

In a world where subwoofers don't need to exist based on your logic, the upgraded 3D Burmester system would not have one either, but it does.
LOL......my feathers aren't ruffled and evidently yours aren't either. Good for us! Curious. When you listen to your system, do you have all passengers (I can't remember if that's what they call it) or just front passengers checked? I have found that if you choose just Front Passengers in the sound settings, bass is greatly enhanced.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
The most offensive part about the Burmester base system is the lack of true lows.
Please clarify what you mean by a lack of true lows? Do you mean quality lows? If so, then I agree. The bass is amorphous and bulbous at the same time without well conveying an appreciable sense of percussion.

However, I found that this amorphous bass in the base Burmeister was actually over-amped, especially when listening to today's overly produced "bassed and percussive" music to compensate for crappy iPhone earbuds. One of the first things I did was to lower the bass setting in the EQ to a more personally acceptable level.

Meanwhile, as for the 3D high end Burmeiser, I used to be a huge fan of in car audio. However, wisdom reminded me that the listening environment is simply too far removed from ideal. I have the acoustic comfort package and that helps, but that kind of money to upgrade to 3D audio is better spent in the controlled home environment. FWIW...
Old 11-02-2018, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
I totally agree. Even home environments are less than ideal unless one has set up a listening room.

BTW is that syperangrypenguin sitting on nycebo's knee?
Old 11-02-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
you guys are all missing the point. the 3d burmester is 3d because the tweeters circulate when coming out and changes colors. (obviously i am joking here).... or who knows it maybe true..

the amg gt has a colored seat belt option for 500. i think porsche charges 1000. this is just to have a different color than the standard black. you are paying 500 for a different color cotton thread haha.

the cost of the 5400 might not be worth it, but to some it is, just like the seat belt lol
Old 11-02-2018, 02:16 PM

2021 M550i
also, you cant just go by the brand, my sl550 had harmon kardon package. that 2 seater had the best sound i've had in any of my benzes... small 2 seater space with like 12 or 14 speakers... cant remember.

also, the interior layout matters a lot. the burmester in a c300 sedan and coupe sounds way different.. at least from what i recall, just didn't hit as hard.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
you guys are all missing the point. the 3d burmester is 3d because the tweeters circulate when coming out and changes colors. (obviously i am joking here).... or who knows it maybe true..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4zz-ShCJ-o

the amg gt has a colored seat belt option for 500. i think porsche charges 1000. this is just to have a different color than the standard black. you are paying 500 for a different color cotton thread haha.

the cost of the 5400 might not be worth it, but to some it is, just like the seat belt lol
Well dayum, if I'd a known they rotate and glow, I just might have popped for those tweeters!! LOL
Old 11-02-2018, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
LOL......my feathers aren't ruffled and evidently yours aren't either. Good for us! Curious. When you listen to your system, do you have all passengers (I can't remember if that's what they call it) or just front passengers checked? I have found that if you choose just Front Passengers in the sound settings, bass is greatly enhanced.
It is frankly quite embarrassing how much time I have spent dicking around with both systems.so yeah, played with that too.

My feelings about the bass quality was summed up well by the other poster a few posts above this.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:16 PM

2021 M550i
keep it up front. haha 99% of the time i am alone, if not 1 passenger
Old 11-02-2018, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

keep it up front. haha 99% of the time i am alone, if not 1 passenger
Same here. Unless the partner is with me, I'm usually the only person in my car.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:34 PM

Quick question in regards to sound focus and sound quality:

Does all focus improve sound for everyone? Does front focus simply diminish sound to the rear? Or does it actually improve sound for the front passengers?

When I tried the front focus instead of all focus, it seemed to lose a bit of that enveloping sound, like it just muted the rear speakers.

What the heck do these things even do? The manual is insufficient in a description.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
Originally Posted by nycebo
Does all focus improve sound for everyone?
No it optimizes for the focus seat you select.

Does front focus simply diminish sound to the rear? Or does it actually improve sound for the front passengers?
Yes it will appear to diminish the sound in the non-focus areas. So in your case rear will be faded and rebalanced left (for the drivers seat). Obviously you notice the difference when you select a specific area.

When I tried the front focus instead of all focus, it seemed to lose a bit of that enveloping sound, like it just muted the rear speakers.
Yes, pretty much what it does.

What the heck do these things even do? The manual is insufficient in a description.
My manual says...
This setting optimizes the sound playback for the selected seat position.
Which is exactly what it does... Think of it as a preset rear to front fader and left balance configuration. You can do exactly the same thing manually by adjusting the fader & balance controls.

Frankly I see the option as pointless as I like the spaciality of the 3D sound but to each his/her own.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
I'm pretty picky. I'm a degreed classical musician, so I have well trained ears and I prefer a natural balanced sound. My home system includes Focal Reference Monitors from France with high end electronics. I'm not a booming bass guy. I play mostly symphonic music and the Burmester can be adjusted multiple ways to be very natural and balanced. If someone wants bass that thumps the windows, feel it in your rear end, this system might disappoint. But for a standard system (at least in the US as other countries still get the sub-par Audio 20 system as the base system) I find it simply terrific. I would have opted for the 3D System, but like you, I felt $5400 is close to rape. For another grand or so, I'd certainly have it. And I'd wager not many people do get it as that cost is just prohibitively expensive.
I have a 17 E300 with P3 and my system is great. I am Jamaican and listen to Reggae music 90% of the time and my bass is only @ # 4 position. Anyone knows Reggae you will know that’s heavy bass. Again to each his own. I had the 15 C300 with the Burmester and thought that was great until I had my E300 and realized just how much better this system is. I think it’s the center speaker on the front dash
Old 11-03-2018, 11:01 PM

@MikeO3, That is a great response. Thanks. You put into words exactly what I was trying to express, particularly your detail about the balance and the fader. And that, is what I was worried about. Consequently, it sounds like front focus isn't so much front enhancement as rear reduction. I guess I was hoping for some sort of 3D magic. My plan is to listen to a bunch of different favorite songs and compositions to determine which focus sounds best. Cheers.

​​​​​
​​​​​.
​​
Old 11-04-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
I have only experienced the Burmester system in loaners, but I am quite used to the HK in the W212, as well as the Mark Levinson in the Lexus LS models. I find the bass on the Burmester (non-3D) system to be "tubby." It sounds like it enhances mid-bass, but never really gets to low bass. My HK system similarly misses the low bass, but doesn't sound "emphasized" in the mid-bass, hence it feels cleaner to me.

Now, the ML in the Lexus, with an aftermarket sub instead of the standard unit. . . that system is way ahead of either of the MB systems.

I couldn't find a W212 with the B&O system to even listen to, but from the bit I've read about the B&O, while it is a good system, it is not great - and not worth the upcharge to most buyers. That's why the dealer had none to show me - they won't order them for stock because their clientele will not pay for the system.

It sounds like Mike5215 has the answers, but what he did is way beyond my skill set, and I don't think I know any shops I would trust to cut into my car for me.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by SteveE400
I have only experienced the Burmester system in loaners, but I am quite used to the HK in the W212, as well as the Mark Levinson in the Lexus LS models. I find the bass on the Burmester (non-3D) system to be "tubby." It sounds like it enhances mid-bass, but never really gets to low bass. My HK system similarly misses the low bass, but doesn't sound "emphasized" in the mid-bass, hence it feels cleaner to me.

Now, the ML in the Lexus, with an aftermarket sub instead of the standard unit. . . that system is way ahead of either of the MB systems.

I couldn't find a W212 with the B&O system to even listen to, but from the bit I've read about the B&O, while it is a good system, it is not great - and not worth the upcharge to most buyers. That's why the dealer had none to show me - they won't order them for stock because their clientele will not pay for the system.

It sounds like Mike5215 has the answers, but what he did is way beyond my skill set, and I don't think I know any shops I would trust to cut into my car for me.
Comparing the LS500's upgraded ML system vs the W222 Burmester 3D system, my opinion is:

The ML system sounds better when the car is idle/not moving. The 3D system sounds better when the respective car is moving (e.g. with more ambient noise).

I don't know why I feel that way, but when I listened to the ML system in the LS500 when the car was off, I literally had my breath taken away.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:05 PM

2021 M550i
also, other than the reggae comment - i dont think anyone is posting what kind of music (classic, rock ,rap, edm) they are comparing the systems to? Also, was it CD, USB, Bluetooth, etc etc, quality changes depending on all these factors. And then of course listener's preference would be the most important factor haha
Old 11-04-2018, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
also, other than the reggae comment - i dont think anyone is posting what kind of music (classic, rock ,rap, edm) they are comparing the systems to? Also, was it CD, USB, Bluetooth, etc etc, quality changes depending on all these factors. And then of course listener's preference would be the most important factor haha
Anyone worth their salt would only be listening to audio sources that are appropriate when testing music systems. FM/AM/Satellite radio are out.

I choose to test using real life sources which I feel are appropriate for testing high end audio systems, which are also grounded in reality, so for me, Spotify quality on maximum, and streamed over Bluetooth.