E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2019 AMG E53 Sedan Burmester

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X5, boxster
2019 AMG E53 Sedan Burmester

I ordered in Mid-October and got a P.O. number with a production date of late December. Wondering if Burmester is standard? On the ordering guide there’s an option for the $5,400 upgrade, but no mention of the regular Burmester. My build sheet only lists code 517- HD radio. The system also wasn’t accurate as it listed the base price of $99,999. Dealer acknowledged that part but did not seem very knowledgeable or at least unwilling to spend time with me on standard equipment. Also mbusa website has not been updated to build the 53s.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
The 99999 is a placeholder. AFAIK the low end Burmester is standard.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Except calling the standard Burmester system "low-end" is an oxymoron. The standard system is actually REALLY good!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:10 PM

X5, boxster
Thanks everyone
Old 10-31-2018, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Except calling the standard Burmester system "low-end" is an oxymoron. The standard system is actually REALLY good!
It is the low end for Burmester just as every brand including Rolls Royce has a low end. Everything Burmester builds is a cut above most entertainment systems.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ua549
It is the low end for Burmester just as every brand including Rolls Royce has a low end. Everything Burmester builds is a cut above most entertainment systems.
Do you know for fact it's Burmester's lowest end system? Either way, it doesn't matter. The system is way better than most cars ever get.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
I think Burmester is standard in the US, in other markets Audio 20 (black speaker grills) is the base sound system.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Burmester only produces 2 audio systems for Mercedes-Benz and they have systems for Bugatti and Porsche along with component systems for home use. https://www.burmester.de/en/

Last edited by ua549; 10-31-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
BMW 740i
Some cars have Burmester as a small cost option which leads me to believe there is a non Burmester sound system in the lower end models, a small upgrade to standard Burmester, and then there is the 3D version for $5400. The AMG comes standard with Burmester (but not the 3D version).
Old 11-01-2018, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
My opinion as an audiophile is I'd rather take the stock sound system (unbranded) on an Audi A3 versus the Burmester base system in any Mercedes.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
My opinion as an audiophile is I'd rather take the stock sound system (unbranded) on an Audi A3 versus the Burmester base system in any Mercedes.
It's funny how people hear things so differently. I have a good buddy with an Audi A3. I think the sound system is adequate in it. but pales in comparison to my Burmester. My buddy thinks so as well and so his next car is going to be a Mercedes with a Burmester system. You seem to really like Audi better than Mercedes. Why don't you just buy an Audi and have what you seem to think is superior engineering and sound?
Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
E450 Coupe
Got my fingers crossed on this because I opted not to order the "3D" system. Honestly, I just found the price offensive. All my BMW and Lexus cars included excellent upgraded audio at far more reasonable cost. The Mark Levinson system in my wife's Lexus is stellar. It came bundled with the brilliant nav system for $3200. I'm willing -- even happy -- to pay MB for their superior ride, styling, handling, and comfort. But that 3D number stuck in my craw. It felt like price gouging on what is essentially a three-year rental. Heck, for that price I could probably hire a string quartet to ride with me.

The coupe I test drove was equipped with the base Burmester system. I played around with it very briefly, wasn't impressed. Taking hope from multiple posts in these forums, however, I'm thinking I can adjust it so it at least sounds satisfactory if not wow.

As Double R notes, "It's funny how people hear things so differently." We'll see. Or hear, I guess.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:44 PM

X5, boxster
I test drove a 2018 e400 with the regular Burmester as included with the premium 1 package. I think it’s a step up from stock in bmw and Bose in Porsche. In no way will I pay the $5400 for the high end upgrade though. I was concerned since the build sheet did not list it . I think the code is 810. The Germans would not go and in stock when the Burmester should be standard would they? I’ll call my dealer in December to get a status. I think people who do research know more than a lot of salesmen.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lensjack
Got my fingers crossed on this because I opted not to order the "3D" system. Honestly, I just found the price offensive. All my BMW and Lexus cars included excellent upgraded audio at far more reasonable cost. The Mark Levinson system in my wife's Lexus is stellar. It came bundled with the brilliant nav system for $3200. I'm willing -- even happy -- to pay MB for their superior ride, styling, handling, and comfort. But that 3D number stuck in my craw. It felt like price gouging on what is essentially a three-year rental. Heck, for that price I could probably hire a string quartet to ride with me.

The coupe I test drove was equipped with the base Burmester system. I played around with it very briefly, wasn't impressed. Taking hope from multiple posts in these forums, however, I'm thinking I can adjust it so it at least sounds satisfactory if not wow.

As Double R notes, "It's funny how people hear things so differently." We'll see. Or hear, I guess.
I'm pretty picky. I'm a degreed classical musician, so I have well trained ears and I prefer a natural balanced sound. My home system includes Focal Reference Monitors from France with high end electronics. I'm not a booming bass guy. I play mostly symphonic music and the Burmester can be adjusted multiple ways to be very natural and balanced. If someone wants bass that thumps the windows, feel it in your rear end, this system might disappoint. But for a standard system (at least in the US as other countries still get the sub-par Audio 20 system as the base system) I find it simply terrific. I would have opted for the 3D System, but like you, I felt $5400 is close to rape. For another grand or so, I'd certainly have it. And I'd wager not many people do get it as that cost is just prohibitively expensive.
The following users liked this post:
lensjack (11-01-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
It's funny how people hear things so differently. I have a good buddy with an Audi A3. I think the sound system is adequate in it. but pales in comparison to my Burmester. My buddy thinks so as well and so his next car is going to be a Mercedes with a Burmester system. You seem to really like Audi better than Mercedes. Why don't you just buy an Audi and have what you seem to think is superior engineering and sound?
The Burmester 3D system is superior to the B and O Advanced 3D system in the new A8.

If I truly believed Audi made superior cars I'd have bought a new one by now. That said, I do not.

Something about a cake... Sigh.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For $5400 the 3D system should be orgasmic. Most people don't put that much money into their home entertainment systems. I never worry much about what someone else's car has. I only care about what my car has and does and to me, I'll say it again, the standard Burmester is one fine car system.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
For $5400 the 3D system should be orgasmic. Most people don't put that much money into their home entertainment systems. I never worry much about what someone else's car has. I only care about what my car has and does and to me, I'll say it again, the standard Burmester is one fine car system.
All I did was provide my opinion upthread, as did you. We should move on.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by lensjack

The ML system is truly fantastic. The base Burmester system is what is offensive to me. Seriously? A $80,000 car without a subwoofer? The most offensive part about the Burmester base system is the lack of true lows. Sucks I have to shell out $6100 here for a system that passes my sniff test, but oh well, to each their own.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The ML system is truly fantastic. The base Burmester system is what is offensive to me. Seriously? A $80,000 car without a subwoofer? The most offensive part about the Burmester base system is the lack of true lows. Sucks I have to shell out $6100 here for a system that passes my sniff test, but oh well, to each their own.
IIRC there is a pair of subwoofers mounted in the front foot wells. MB calls it FrontBass.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by ua549
IIRC there is a pair of subwoofers mounted in the front foot wells. MB calls it FrontBass.
Frontbass = woofers.

There is no subwoofer on the base Burmester system, and to me, it is a very glaring omission from a pure sound perspective.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
I believe that is correct in regards to FrontBass. The base Burmester system in my coupe sounds fantastic to my ears, coming from the Harmon/Kardon in my previous E. If one is super particular, there are options to augment the stock system and increase performance while maintaining stock components. Penguin, perhaps you should read some of the posts by Mike5215 as he has modified his previous 221 and 205 cars.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by teksurv
I believe that is correct in regards to FrontBass. The base Burmester system in my coupe sounds fantastic to my ears, coming from the Harmon/Kardon in my previous E. If one is super particular, there are options to augment the stock system and increase performance while maintaining stock components. Penguin, perhaps you should read some of the posts by Mike5215 as he has modified his previous 221 and 205 cars.
Oh absolutely, and I read that thread in detail and was shocked at his knowledge. I don't trust myself or an audio shop to improve the stock system and will defer to the folks at MB.

Let me be really clear here in my opinions on this thread. I'm seriously thrilled that so many of you have a positive opinion of the Burmester base system. It's much lighter on your wallets and that is a good thing. I'm not trying to take away from any of you, I just wanted to share my opinion and what works for me, that's all.

I'm with you here @teksurv that the HK system is fantastic, and I don't think anyone has said on MBW that the HK Logic 7 system was lacking in any way. The Burmester base system is a little bit more divisive in opinion, that's all. For the record, I will say I am not BLOWN away by the Burmester 3D system. It sounds great. Is it worth $6100 CDN? Probably not, but is is a must have, for me? (yes, absolutely). And the only reason it's a must have, for me, is because the base Burmester system is lacking. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Frontbass = woofers.

There is no subwoofer on the base Burmester system, and to me, it is a very glaring omission from a pure sound perspective.
The size of a woofer has absolutely nothing to do with the output of bass. It's how much air it can move that determines the amount of bass. I had a very high-end subwoofer once with two 6" drivers that produced astoundingly deep and articulate bass (as it should have for the high cost of the subwoofer). In fact, smaller woofers produce cleaner, more articulate bass than large woofers, which are capable of moving more air, but do so less accurately.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
The size of a woofer has absolutely nothing to do with the output of bass. It's how much air it can move that determines the amount of bass. I had a very high-end subwoofer once with two 6" drivers that produced astoundingly deep and articulate bass (as it should have for the high cost of the subwoofer). In fact, smaller woofers produce cleaner, more articulate bass than large woofers, which are capable of moving more air, but do so less accurately.
There are a number of factors to the quality of sound. I don't know why you are choosing to jump in on my opinion of things but my only statement that you quoted here is that there is no subwoofer on the base Burmester system. That's all.

No need to defend a sound system IMHO.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are a number of factors to the quality of sound. I don't know why you are choosing to jump in on my opinion of things but my only statement that you quoted here is that there is no subwoofer on the base Burmester system. That's all.

No need to defend a sound system IMHO.
I'm not defending the system. You said: "The base Burmester system is what is offensive to me. Seriously? A $80,000 car without a subwoofer? The most offensive part about the Burmester base system is the lack of true lows." I was merely pointing that a well designed woofer, one capable of moving a large volume of air can be more accurate. Perhaps that's why the Burmester comes with woofers, not a subwoofer. But that's just conjecture on my part. You're MORE than entitled to your opinion. Just don't put your opinion out there and then get your feathers ruffled if someone has a different opinion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 AMG E53 Sedan Burmester