E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E 350 2019

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche boxster S, 2010.
E 350 2019

Hello! Im waiting for my e350 that is ordered. The car will be a company car, and will mostly be driven on highways. Winter tires will be 18 inches, and summer tires 20.
With that said i have two questions.

1. How necessary is air body control on an e class? Is that a "must"? Has anyone driven an e class with and without air body control?

2. I also have the same question regarding aucoustic comfort package.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-06-2018, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 418 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Where do you live?

The E350 is not available in the United States. We have only the E300 and E450.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:44 PM

Porsche boxster S, 2010.
Originally Posted by JTK44
Where do you live?

The E350 is not available in the United States. We have only the E300 and E450.
I live in Europe, Sweden.
Really interested to see how that engine will be like. its a new one for 2019. 299+14 hp.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by capitan0
Hello! Im waiting for my e350 that is ordered. The car will be a company car, and will mostly be driven on highways. Winter tires will be 18 inches, and summer tires 20.

1. How necessary is air body control on an e class? Is that a "must"? Has anyone driven an e class with and without air body control?

Thanks in advance!
IMHO, neither option you list is a MUST have. The suspension on the E class is great all by itself. If you have like truly awful roads, air body control will tone them down, but to me it wasn't worth the expense
And the cars are already incredibly quiet. I wouldn't need my car to be quieter inside than it already is, so again, Acoustic Comfort is not something I felt I needed.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
If you have "truly awful roads" you may want to think twice before putting 20 inch wheels on your car. With 20 inch wheels, because of the small sidewall be prepared for frequent tire and/or wheel damage.. Even if you have insurance it is just such a nuisance and time drain to have to constantly be replacing tires and/or wheels.

BTW, in Sweden are the wheels in inches or centimeters?
Old 11-06-2018, 04:55 PM

Porsche boxster S, 2010.
If you have "truly awful roads" you may want to think twice before putting 20 inch wheels on your car. With 20 inch wheels, because of the small sidewall be prepared for frequent tire and/or wheel damage.. Even if you have insurance it is just such a nuisance and time drain to have to constantly be replacing tires and/or wheels.

BTW, in Sweden are the wheels in inches or centimeters?
We say "tum" but its same as inches.
Thats good to know! In europe on e class only amg weels are 18 inch, or 20 inch and i wanted a bit bigger than 18.
luckily, the roads in Sweden are pretty good i would say!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:58 PM

Porsche boxster S, 2010.
We say "tum" but its same as inches.
Thats good to know! In europe on e class only amg weels are 18 inch, or 20 inch and i wanted a bit bigger than 18.
luckily, the roads in Sweden are pretty good i would say!
Im wrong here. Amg weels are 19 or 20. But the 20 one is nicer imo
Old 11-06-2018, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the roads are good, why are you then considering the air body control?

IMO, (and it is only my opinion - not fact) the E Class Mercedes is one of the best handling/riding cars on the road. So you start to reach a point of diminishing returns: You start with the best and now spend more money to make it even better?

Ditto my thoughts on the acoustic comfort package: The E Class is already the quietest car on the road. Spending more money to make it even quieter - to me that just does not make sense.

What I am envious about is the new i6 48 volt battery in the E350 that is available in Europe! Originally I had order this car, only to be advised that the E 350 would not be available this year in the US. From the specs it seems to be a perfect balance of power with efficiency.

Have you had an opportunity to drive an E 350?
Old 11-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Porsche boxster S, 2010.
If the roads are good, why are you then considering the air body control?

IMO, (and it is only my opinion - not fact) the E Class Mercedes is one of the best handling/riding cars on the road. So you start to reach a point of diminishing returns: You start with the best and now spend more money to make it even better?

Ditto my thoughts on the acoustic comfort package: The E Class is already the quietest car on the road. Spending more money to make it even quieter - to me that just does not make sense.

What I am envious about is the new i6 48 volt battery in the E350 that is available in Europe! Originally I had order this car, only to be advised that the E 350 would not be available this year in the US. From the specs it seems to be a perfect balance of power with efficiency.

Have you had an opportunity to drive an E 350?
Thanks for the input!
I havent driven the e350 yet. I havent seen much info/reviews about it online either. I will make a short review about it once it will be delivered, which will be around christmas.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Unless you are in a cold climate, the most practical feature of the Acoustic Comfort package is the IR reflective glass that prevents the sun from heating your lap and other sensitive parts. It is better than having an after market film applied to the glass because the IR glass is laminated.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S450-4matic
Acoustic Comfort Package

Thanks in advance!
I wasted $1100 on the Acoustic Comfort Package as I drove an E300 with and without it and I couldn’t tell the difference.
Save your money. “The juice ain’t worth the squeeze”
Doc
Old 11-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Couldn't disagree more. I notice it dramatically when driving at higher speeds.

Now, is it worth the price? Hmmm...
Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nycebo
Couldn't disagree more. I notice it dramatically when driving at higher speeds.

Now, is it worth the price? Hmmm...
I spose it comes down to the value of diminishing returns in full force here. These cars are already industry leading quiet without the Acoustic Package. Even if they are more quiet with it, does one really need to spend $1100 for that extra measure of quiet. If for you, it is worth the price of admission, that's great and I'm glad you are enjoying the extra measure of quiet. For me, it's already beyond quiet enough and I would not appreciate the extra level of quiet for the cost.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:23 PM

I hear you bud. We don't all have the luxury of sunny Florida! ;-) Seriously, NYC is such a loud city, I really despise hearing the trucks and revved up engines and chaos around me.

Candidly, I'm not sure if heads up display was worth the price either. Maybe for the heads up NAVI.

I also didn't get the air conditioned seats this time round. They didn't work well in my last car. Does anyone have those by chance? Are they better in the newer versions?
Old 11-08-2018, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hear you bud. We don't all have the luxury of sunny Florida! ;-) Seriously, NYC is such a loud city, I really despise hearing the trucks and revved up engines and chaos around me.

Candidly, I'm not sure if heads up display was worth the price either. Maybe for the heads up NAVI.

I also didn't get the air conditioned seats this time round. They didn't work well in my last car. Does anyone have those by chance? Are they better in the newer versions?
Yes Yes Yes, I have the cooled seats, and living in Florida, for me, they are a mandatory necessity! They work fine as far as I'm concerned, but then I don't have any other brand to compare to.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
E Class

I didn’t order them but ended up with them in my build because of the designo seats. My other experience was with my 2016 X5 where it felt completely useless in warm weather and even unnoticeable in colder weather. In the E Class it seems to be 10x better than the X5 and the feature seems to actual keep the seat cooled. When turning it on you can also feel it actually working. However, my experience should be taken with a grain of salt since it is around -10°c outside and I haven’t had the opportunity to use it in warmer weather and don’t anticipate it’ll be warm for another 5-6 months at the minimum.

I feel the heads up display is a bit excessive if you get the digital instrument cluster and because it’s hard to see if you have sunglasses on. At night time it’s pretty good though and it’s convenient to have the navigation info on the heads up display. One of the cons is if the windshield gets damaged it’s more expensive to replace.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by KingScrubs
One of the cons is if the windshield gets damaged it’s more expensive to replace.
Doesn't it just reflect up from the dashboard onto a normal window? Wait, if it's actually IN THE GLASS, then that is AWESOME!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
E Class
Doesn't it just reflect up from the dashboard onto a normal window? Wait, if it's actually IN THE GLASS, then that is AWESOME!
it does reflect up from the dashboard but they use a polarized windshield if you have heads up display and it’s typically more expensive to replace. At least that’s what the dealership told me when they tried to sell me windshield protection packages so I’m not sure if it’s true or not
Old 11-08-2018, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KingScrubs

it does reflect up from the dashboard but they use a polarized windshield if you have heads up display and it’s typically more expensive to replace. At least that’s what the dealership told me when they tried to sell me windshield protection packages so I’m not sure if it’s true or not
Yes, it does reflect up and I believe you are correct in that the glass is different. But I test drove one with sunglasses on, which living in Florida is virtually every single day, and it didn't work well. Thus, it was not an option I would order in my car.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
I forgot all about the ventilated seats. This is my first car with them. It's 77 here in San Diego, I'll have to turn them on.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

HUD gets washed out with polarized sunglasses.

Can you check if with HUD it is a different windshield? I highly doubt it.

Also highly doubt the windshield is polarized:

From an article:

"You only notice the rainbows in the car windows while wearing sunglasses because your polarized lenses filter out particular wavelengths, allowing you to see the patterns. ... The reason you don't see any rainbows or patterns in a windshield is because windshields are made of laminated safety glass, not tempered glass."

see:

and a second article:
  1. Simple one, cost. Polarization is an expensive process and to do so on such a large piece of glass is cost prohibitive for most manufacturers.
  2. Safety. Polarization reduces glare by reducing light coming at a particular angle. It’s still a reduction in visible light passing through. This would effectively make windshields darker even at night.
  3. Actual Performance. Polarization blocks certain waves of light that hit the filter coming from a certain angle. Any change in angle (when you turn, or the sun is rising, or an oncoming car is approaching from a slightly different direction) will negate any effects of a polarizing filter. This is why in photography, polarizing filters can be repositioned and rotated.
  4. Better/cheaper solutions. Driving glasses and polarized tint cost far less than of the windshield glass itself was polarized.
see: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-car-wi...-not-polarized
Old 11-08-2018, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've had a HUD in my cars for over 10 years and most of the aircraft I've flown. I wouldn't be without HUD. I've never had a personal need for sunglasses polarized or otherwise in a car. What I love about the MB system is the display of all the lanes at an intersection with the proper lane for your route highlighted.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ua549
I've had a HUD in my cars for over 10 years and most of the aircraft I've flown. I wouldn't be without HUD. I've never had a personal need for sunglasses polarized or otherwise in a car. What I love about the MB system is the display of all the lanes at an intersection with the proper lane for your route highlighted.
Sunglasses help people avoid having cataracts. I'm 63 now and there is still no sign of them forming. It's because my entire adult life I've worn good quality sunglasses. Sunglasses also make you a safer driver when the sun may be directly in you line of sight. A friend was recently hit by a driver who wasn't wearing sunglasses and who was blinded by the direct sun. I'd rather avoid eye surgery and be a safer driver than have HUD in my car. But perhaps that's just me.........

Last edited by rbrylaw; 11-08-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
I had the Air Matic suspension in our 2010 E550. The car had it already when I picked it up at the dealer. To be honest, I enjoyed it but is it worth the $1,900? I really don't think so. My current CLS 450 rides quite nicely without it. With regards to the Acoustic package, again it is a personal choice. My former dealer GM was impressed with the option. I currently like to hear the mild growl coming out of the I-6 engine without it.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Sunglasses help people avoid having cataracts. I'm 63 now and there is still no sign of them forming. It's because my entire adult life I've worn good quality sunglasses. Sunglasses also make you a safer driver when the sun may be directly in you line of sight. A friend was recently hit by a driver who wasn't wearing sunglasses and who was blinded by the direct sun. I'd rather avoid eye surgery and be a safer driver than have HUD in my car. But perhaps that's just me.........
I'm about to be 76 with no sign of cataracts. I have very light eye color and sunlight has never bothered me. I've lived in the bright Clearwater Beach sun most of my life. A hat with a brim is all the sun protection my eyes need.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E 350 2019