Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
My First Teeny Tiny Boo Boo :-( >

My First Teeny Tiny Boo Boo :-(

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

My First Teeny Tiny Boo Boo :-(

 
Old 11-26-2018, 08:31 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
nycebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 471
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Alas, the amount of construction on the Triborough/RFK, BQE, Bruckner, Deegan, Whitestone, etc makes it a paramount priority to keep a keen eye out. What's the worst are those steel road plates that sit about 3" above the road. I cringe every time I see them, always trying to commit their location to memory!

rbrylaw have the roads in Tampa gotten that bad?!
nycebo is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 09:09 AM
  #27  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,367
Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by nycebo View Post
Alas, the amount of construction on the Triborough/RFK, BQE, Bruckner, Deegan, Whitestone, etc makes it a paramount priority to keep a keen eye out. What's the worst are those steel road plates that sit about 3" above the road. I cringe every time I see them, always trying to commit their location to memory!

rbrylaw have the roads in Tampa gotten that bad?!
Actually, our roads aren't riddled with pot holes like they are in the north. My boo boo wasn't from a pot hole. I came in very slight contact with a curb, so it was all me.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
nycebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 471
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Actually, our roads aren't riddled with pot holes like they are in the north. My boo boo wasn't from a pot hole. I came in very slight contact with a curb, so it was all me.
I was referencing your boss' S class. Or does s/he live elsewhere?
nycebo is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM
  #29  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,367
Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by nycebo View Post
I was referencing your boss' S class. Or does s/he live elsewhere?
He lives north of Tampa, in horse farm country. The roads are worse there for sure. If you have seen a new Oxy Clean commercial lately where the commercial ends with the family on their horse farm, that's my boss, his wife and two children.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 PM
  #30  
Member
 
mikephotos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by Cambridgehank View Post
Mike, try contacting the city. My nephew did in Charlotte, NC and the city paid for his new tire and wheel.
While the car was being positioned on the flatbed a state trooper stopped by with details to file the claim, seems there were ďnumerousĒ other vehicles involved. Already sent claim hoping for best but not expecting anything. Only positive is this was not your typical pothole, it was poor to borderline negligent construction (or lack thereof) so thatís on our side. I know with regular city potholes it would have had to been reported to 311 and they have something like 15 days to fix before they pay claims; something along those lines. Welcome to NYC!

Mike
mikephotos is offline  
Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 AM
  #31  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 180
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
2017 E300, P2, 19" AMG wheels, piedmont green, nut brown leather
Mike, I tried filing a claim in NYC about 15 years ago - at that time, you needed to document that the pothole existed, report it to the city and then hit it and file a claim. (Yes, someone at 311 calmly explained that as if it made sense...) Your claim could be considered to document the pothole, but that would only help the people who hit the hole at a later date... In my case, it was $3,500 out of my pocked for two new wheels and tires and an exhaust system for an Infiniti M45. One of the many reasons I left NYC. Best of luck getting back on the road.
Lanzz is offline  
Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
nycebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 471
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
I think drivers in NYC fill out this form to report potholes (or call 311) more than estimated, as evidenced by this report from 2015 documenting the city's $138MM in settlements.

I wonder if they also reimburse for curb rash!
nycebo is offline  
Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 AM
  #33  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 143
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Infiniti M35x
Originally Posted by Lanzz View Post
Mike, I tried filing a claim in NYC about 15 years ago - at that time, you needed to document that the pothole existed, report it to the city and then hit it and file a claim. (Yes, someone at 311 calmly explained that as if it made sense...) Your claim could be considered to document the pothole, but that would only help the people who hit the hole at a later date... In my case, it was $3,500 out of my pocked for two new wheels and tires and an exhaust system for an Infiniti M45. One of the many reasons I left NYC. Best of luck getting back on the road.
I had a similar experience in Maryland The County told me that they could only reimburse me for a pothole that they have been notified of prior. I should have gone back the next week and said I hit a different tire, haha.
Courthaven is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Lanzz (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 03:48 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 355
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
C class s205 250 bluetec executive line 4matic
When working in the UK I was a local authority liability specialist and could give you the full detail of when a uk highway authority must pay compensation for damage from a pothole based on statutory (specified by law of the land) liability and common law liability.
what interests me is the american system seems to have some similarities ie the references to pre knowledge.
my advice is it is always worth checking with any legal advisor you have access to if there might be a right of recovery. But wheel and tyre insurance if available seems an excellent. Not on offer here in france but in my region the roads are extremly well maintained.
in my experience it is the low profile tyres which are the issue 17 inch rims will fare better than 19 or 20 for sure. Most of the claims we had were for low profiles far less for bog standard wheel and tyre combos.
parkwood is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM
  #35  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,367
Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
After five weeks waiting, they called to say the replacement window for my E450 finally arrived. They ordered the wrong one, so this time they just ordered a full set of windows to make sure they had the right one for my car on hand. I dropped off the car this morning and got a GLC300. I was so surprised how poor the acceleration is on the GLC300. We owned one and I don't remember it being that slow to go, but then I've been driving a much more powerful E450, so I guess the comparison isn't fair.

I won't get my car back till Monday or Tuesday. Evidently when you have the wheel and tire insurance, the agreement they have with the wheel guy (turns out they use a private service where the guy is certified and trained by Mercedes and uses actual Mercedes paints) is they have to sand blast the finish off the wheel completely, then repaint the wheel completely. They said it's a two day process, but ensures the wheel is as factory new looking as the day I got the car.

I'll report back next when I get my car back.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:57 AM
  #36  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 142
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
e300
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
After five weeks waiting, they called to say the replacement window for my E450 finally arrived. They ordered the wrong one, so this time they just ordered a full set of windows to make sure they had the right one for my car on hand. I dropped off the car this morning and got a GLC300. I was so surprised how poor the acceleration is on the GLC300. We owned one and I don't remember it being that slow to go, but then I've been driving a much more powerful E450, so I guess the comparison isn't fair.

I won't get my car back till Monday or Tuesday. Evidently when you have the wheel and tire insurance, the agreement they have with the wheel guy (turns out they use a private service where the guy is certified and trained by Mercedes and uses actual Mercedes paints) is they have to sand blast the finish off the wheel completely, then repaint the wheel completely. They said it's a two day process, but ensures the wheel is as factory new looking as the day I got the car.

I'll report back next when I get my car back.

I had the GLC300 for my service A and trim replacement. It felt disconnected from the road. The steering was numb, road feel was little to non-existent. I felt like I didnít know what the carís reaction would be to my input. I could not image driving that SUV everyday. If I got it for free I would trade it in.
mobster600 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:00 PM
  #37  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,367
Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post



I had the GLC300 for my service A and trim replacement. It felt disconnected from the road. The steering was numb, road feel was little to non-existent. I felt like I didnít know what the carís reaction would be to my input. I could not image driving that SUV everyday. If I got it for free I would trade it in.
My partner drove the GLC300. He was actually happy with it, but after driving it this morning, why, I have no idea. I must admit I've gotten quite spoiled with my E450. It's one of the best (if not THE best) MB car I've owned. It's going to be a long 4 days. At least I won't have to worry if it rains. LOL
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:33 PM
  #38  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,390
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan
I got a rash on my wheels about a year after purchasing the car. Very small, but I saw it. Filed and sanded it down and touched up with some silver paint repair I had on hand. The small bottles you get from dealer to match a color. 90% improvement so I don't even notice it anymore.
El Cid is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:47 PM
  #39  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,367
Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
I got a rash on my wheels about a year after purchasing the car. Very small, but I saw it. Filed and sanded it down and touched up with some silver paint repair I had on hand. The small bottles you get from dealer to match a color. 90% improvement so I don't even notice it anymore.
I'm too OCD to do that and I would notice it too. That's the plight of being a full-fledged-card-carrying OCD person. It may not be fun waiting a couple days, but at not extra cost to me (sure I did pay for the wheel and tire insurance for 5 years, 75,000 miles), when I get my car back, the wheel will show absolutely no sign it had ever been scratched.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 PM
  #40  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,367
Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I'm so lucky to have such a great dealer. They told me my car wouldn't be ready until Tuesday at the earliest. I got a call first thing this morning telling me my car was completely ready to be picked up. I just got it back and am so pleased. The new window is perfect with no chip in it. It was re-tinted as well as the passenger front window because my service adviser noticed a couple air bubbles in that window, which I hadn't even noticed. They touched up a tiny little paint chip in the right rear bumper (I had noticed it, but now couldn't point out where it was fixed) and the most important thing is the wheel is perfect. Turns out what they did was put my car on a lift, removed the wheel and sent it to the wheel shop, while doing what they needed to do on my car. I couldn't be happier! Here's a before they fixed the wheel and an after the wheel was fixed shot. Pretty amazing how they do this.


Scratched Wheel

Fixed Wheel
rbrylaw is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by rbrylaw:
CarFan1 (12-08-2018), Lanzz (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 12:59 PM
  #41  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 682
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2012 SLK350
Good as new!
teksurv is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rbrylaw (12-07-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 03:55 PM
  #42  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Texas, Northern VA
Posts: 125
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes e300, Nissan Titan, BMW x5
It looks great!
CarFan1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rbrylaw (12-08-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 03:37 PM
  #43  
Super Member
 
stephos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 563
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupť
Truly fantastic service from your dealer. Glad to hear (and see) the positive outcome.
stephos is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 03:39 PM
  #44  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,367
Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by stephos View Post
Truly fantastic service from your dealer. Glad to hear (and see) the positive outcome.
Thanks. This is one reason I keep coming back and back and back and back again with this dealer. They've always treated me right and provided excellent after sale service.
rbrylaw is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My First Teeny Tiny Boo Boo :-(


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: