E300 vs E450 4MATIC sedans : deciding which one.... - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
E300 vs E450 4MATIC sedans : deciding which one.... >

E300 vs E450 4MATIC sedans : deciding which one....

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

E300 vs E450 4MATIC sedans : deciding which one....

Old 12-06-2018, 06:29 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Argelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tesla Model S
E300 vs E450 4MATIC sedans : deciding which one....

Knowing this is probably a ridiculous question, I'll ask away..

Deciding between the E300 vs E450 sedans: other than price, horsepower, mpg, 0-60 numbers, etc is there anything else I should consider in deciding between these two?

I'm guessing the answer is "taking the $ difference out of the equation, get the 450."

Thanks for your insights!
Argelius is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:50 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,046
Thanked 252 Times in 210 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Drive them both and decide which you'd rather drive every day. While the E300 is certainly a nice car, we got one in August and traded it for the E450 in October. We're now an E400 and E450 household.
rbrylaw is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:51 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 371
Thanked 41 Times in 36 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
When I drove the E 350 4 matic I found it "peppy but not powerful". I do not need the acceleration of the E450, but I really do like the smoothness of the V6 in the E 450 vs. the 4 in the E 300. Ratings of mpg are, believe it or not, quite similar. I also found outside the car, that the sound of the 4 was quite audible, even at idling, while the V6 is silent.

Before my 2016 E 350 4matic I owned two BMW 540i xDrive both with the straight 6's.. I tested both the 528/530i xDrive, BMW's version with the 4-cylinder engine. I found both somewhat underpowered.

I also lease so the monthly difference between the E 300 4matic and the E 450 4matic is not as dramatic as when you buy them.

Personally, I think for $65,000 and up, the V6 is the more appropriate engine for the mid-size E Class and fortunately I can afford the E 450.

One minor item: the E 300 comes with a 17 gallon tank, the E450 21 gallons. On a road trip, after a fill up, I love seeing the range at 600 miles plus!

I am taking delivery of my 2019 E 450 4matic end of this month.


My suggestion is to drive both and then make up your mind.

Last edited by JTK44; 12-07-2018 at 10:53 AM.
JTK44 is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 10:39 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 614
Thanked 94 Times in 83 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2012 SLK350
Understanding it's a function of horsepower, you should consider your driving habits in town and on the freeway/highway. If most of your driving does not require swift acceleration (such as available with the Model S) then the E300 will do just fine. For me, living in SoCal, I prefer the option of swift acceleration given that we are congested at times and not all equal in driving skills

One other thing, and for me this was huge and swayed me towards a coupe, if you want RWD, in the sedan, only available (US) on the E300. V6 models require 4Matic, which is a shame for those of us who prefer RWD driving dynamics.

Last edited by teksurv; 12-07-2018 at 10:45 AM.
teksurv is online now  
Old 12-07-2018, 05:31 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Argelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tesla Model S
Great suggestions/thoughts. I have now driven both the 300 and 450 and have decided to go for the 450. The 300 was 'peppy' but a little loud at times like it was struggling just a bit. I'm very, very close to placing my order....
Argelius is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 05:34 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,046
Thanked 252 Times in 210 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
Great suggestions/thoughts. I have now driven both the 300 and 450 and have decided to go for the 450. The 300 was 'peppy' but a little loud at times like it was struggling just a bit. I'm very, very close to placing my order....
You're going to LOVE the E450!
rbrylaw is online now  
Old 12-07-2018, 08:27 PM
  #7  
Member
 
BF3PDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 188
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
E class, C class
The E 300 has adequate performance but the 4 cylinder engine simply cannot offer the silent, smooth and effortless performance that is to be expected from a mid size luxury sedan.
BF3PDZ is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 PM
  #8  
Member
 
BF3PDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 188
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
E class, C class
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Drive them both and decide which you'd rather drive every day. While the E300 is certainly a nice car, we got one in August and traded it for the E450 in October. We're now an E400 and E450 household.
Hey mate, just want to get an update on your owner experience on your E 450 compare to your E 400, after owning both cars for a while.
BF3PDZ is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 08:46 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Texas, Northern VA
Posts: 112
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes e300, Nissan Titan, BMW x5
Originally Posted by teksurv View Post
Understanding it's a function of horsepower, you should consider your driving habits in town and on the freeway/highway. If most of your driving does not require swift acceleration (such as available with the Model S) then the E300 will do just fine. For me, living in SoCal, I prefer the option of swift acceleration given that we are congested at times and not all equal in driving skills

One other thing, and for me this was huge and swayed me towards a coupe, if you want RWD, in the sedan, only available (US) on the E300. V6 models require 4Matic, which is a shame for those of us who prefer RWD driving dynamics.
I got the E300 because I wanted a RWD sedan or otherwise I would have gotten an e400. I'm quite satisfied with the performance and amazed by the fuel economy. I regularly tank up to find that I have 550 miles to go once I fill up.
CarFan1 is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 12:35 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
2012 merc amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Venice Florida
Posts: 2,342
Thanked 128 Times in 114 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet and 2019 E450 Wagon.
The e450 cabriolet is available RWD. I have one and it drives great. Has some nice 275/35/19 inch tires in back too.
2012 merc amg is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 07:44 AM
  #11  
Member
 
ygmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 160
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
2015 E400
Twin Turbo V6 anyday over a teeny 4cy turbo.... what is real difference in Highway mpg?

car is too heavy for a 4cyl in my opinion as torq curve just not adequate to get off the line and to get any power she has to scream...

Wish the twin turbo V8 was still around int he E Class
ygmn is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,953
Thanked 210 Times in 183 Posts
.
Originally Posted by ygmn View Post
Twin Turbo V6 anyday over a teeny 4cy turbo.... what is real difference in Highway mpg?

car is too heavy for a 4cyl in my opinion as torq curve just not adequate to get off the line and to get any power she has to scream...

Wish the twin turbo V8 was still around int he E Class
The V8 is still available but it is expensive. (E63 S)
ua549 is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 01:45 PM
  #13  
flj
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 36
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
GLC 300
I'd say that there are a couple requirements. 1) anti body control 2) 19 inch wheels 3) get the 400
The E300 is remarkably responsive for a 4 CYL and is great for cruising around town, picking up lunch or some such thing. For freeway cruising, you may want something else, the 18 inch wheels and the slightly underpowered 300 makes for a ride that makes you wonder why you didn't just spend the money. (I'm currently in this situation with GLC and I keep kicking myself for going total miser on it )
I don't like body roll and the anti roll suspension makes a difference.

/2 cents - YMMW
Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
Knowing this is probably a ridiculous question, I'll ask away..

Deciding between the E300 vs E450 sedans: other than price, horsepower, mpg, 0-60 numbers, etc is there anything else I should consider in deciding between these two?

I'm guessing the answer is "taking the $ difference out of the equation, get the 450."

Thanks for your insights!
flj is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 04:00 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 60
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
SLK 350
E300 (2017)

I may be an outlier on this but I love the E300 engine. It has all the pep and power I need and delivers 25-35 mpg. Sure, it makes some noise but you have to be outside the car to hear it...very quiet on the inside. Admittedly, Iím not an aggressive driver but Iím impressed with the acceleration and handling. My other car is a new Porsche Boxster S and I donít feel any letdown when driving rhe E300.

My main gripe is the idiotic navigation system which provides no way to see a list view of where itís taking you. Last night, I got a message asking if I wanted to accept an alternative route which was 20 minutes faster. The problem-you canít see exactly what the route is. You can try to determine this from the map, but itís very difficult to see the specific roads. Whoever designed this needs to find another job. My $100 Tomtom does better.
Tiburonsteve is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 05:12 PM
  #15  
Member
 
West_Coaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 90
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
'17 E300
Originally Posted by Tiburonsteve View Post
I may be an outlier on this but I love the E300 engine. It has all the pep and power I need and delivers 25-35 mpg. Sure, it makes some noise but you have to be outside the car to hear it...very quiet on the inside. Admittedly, Iím not an aggressive driver but Iím impressed with the acceleration and handling. My other car is a new Porsche Boxster S and I donít feel any letdown when driving rhe E300.


West_Coaster is online now  
Old 12-11-2018, 05:55 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Texas, Northern VA
Posts: 112
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes e300, Nissan Titan, BMW x5
Originally Posted by Tiburonsteve View Post
I may be an outlier on this but I love the E300 engine. It has all the pep and power I need and delivers 25-35 mpg. Sure, it makes some noise but you have to be outside the car to hear it...very quiet on the inside. Admittedly, Iím not an aggressive driver but Iím impressed with the acceleration and handling. My other car is a new Porsche Boxster S and I donít feel any letdown when driving rhe E300.

My main gripe is the idiotic navigation system which provides no way to see a list view of where itís taking you. Last night, I got a message asking if I wanted to accept an alternative route which was 20 minutes faster. The problem-you canít see exactly what the route is. You can try to determine this from the map, but itís very difficult to see the specific roads. Whoever designed this needs to find another job. My $100 Tomtom does better.
One of my other cars is a Porsche Cayman S. Everyone has their own vision of performance adequacy and I'm not trying to take away from that, but like Tiburonsteve I'm very satisfied with the performance of my E300 also.
CarFan1 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E300 vs E450 4MATIC sedans : deciding which one....


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: