E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Black Piano Lacquer 'Flowing Lines' wood: scratches as bad as everyone says?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla Model S
Black Piano Lacquer 'Flowing Lines' wood: scratches as bad as everyone says?

I'm tormenting myself my interior trim choice (with the beige leather).

Outlandish up-charge aside, my hands down favorite trim is the designo Black Piano Lacquer 'Flowing Lines' wood. Love those lines!

So, are scratches on the center console as big of a nightmare as some are saying? Seems like most posts in this regard aren't from actual owners with regrets, but from (well-intentioned) others offering warnings. I realize everything is relative.

My second choice is a tie between the Brown Ash Wood (I like the gloss with the dark wood that doesn't look as dated as the lighter Burl Walnut) and the Natural Grain Black Ash (don't think it shows the wrap-around dash trim as well).

Anyway, curious about the piano-black center console.....

Old 12-15-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
When I saw it in person I was underwhelmed by the Black Piano Lacquer 'Flowing Lines', and went with the Natural Grain Black Ash instead; part of the issue was that the center console (at least for 2018 MY) is just piano black, without flowing lines, and looks cheap. After 6 months I'm happy with my choice. One of the plusses of the natural grain black finish is that it does not show finger prints like the high gloss finishes, and although its a dark color, it does not seem to pick up dust as well, and its easy to clean. So far its proved robust. I agree that the initial impression of the Flowing Lines finish is an eye candy popping wow, and in pictures it looks amazing.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I had the brown flowing line magnolia wood in my AMG and had to be very careful of scratches. The Brown ash in my new Wagon does not seem to scratch as easily. The light elm wood in my Cabrio seems pretty resistant to scratching and looks beautiful too. I dunno how it would look with the brown int or if it's even offered with that combo, the int on my cabrio is porcelain white.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Infiniti M35x
You sound exactly like me when I was shopping. I made a post out here so if you search for posts by my name you will see it and be able to look at feedback that others had for me too.

Once I ended up seeing the black piano flowing lines in person I wasn't as impressed, but a lot had to do with me putting it on an all black interior too. It also looked to collect a lot of dust in addition to the scratches issue that I saw others mention (and they seemed to be owners). So coupling those challenges I had to ask myself, do I really want to pay an additional $1400 for that (or whatever the cost is)?

​​I then defaulted to the Brown Ashwood for the same reasons that you mentioned and I just received my car on Thursday night and like it. When it stops raining on Monday I can hopefully get some decent pics to show you (if I can figure out how to easily post them). Good luck
Old 12-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
You mentioned center console. There are no flowing lines on mine. It's just "piano" black and with 3000 miles I have enough scratches that show me that it will have to be removed. Its probably my biggest disappointment with the car. In one case just the hose from the vacuum cleaner left 5 distinct marks. And the dealer tells me that I should just get a "compound" rub and eliminate the numerous scratches.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:02 AM

Tesla Model S
Thank you, all, for your thoughtful commentary. I’m going to skip the piano black and go with either the glossy brown ash or natural black ash. Know I’ll be happy with either of those! Now for the 4-month waiting period for my car...
Old 12-16-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche boxster S, 2010.
My e 350(eu) is being build coming days with black flowing lines. Hoping for positive results..only thing im worried as stated is center console, plastic, scratches.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
Originally Posted by capitan0
My e 350(eu) is being build coming days with black flowing lines. Hoping for positive results..only thing im worried as stated is center console, plastic, scratches.
I know someone who had their center console wrapped in the first week after delivery. Apparently, his console still looks like new and you really can't notice the wrap unless you look very closely (which no-one ever does). This might be an option if you want to keep the console looking like new.

In my case, I opted for the open pore black ash trim after seeing how scratched up and greasy the glossy consoles were in the test drive cars and learning from sales that the consoles had been scratched from daily wiping using micro-fibers. What I don't get is why MB didn't use the same type of plastic as they do on the back of the key. The back of my key is a glossy piano black and still scratch free after 4 months in my pocket bashing against key rings, coins and other bits.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 AM

Infiniti M35x
Man, now I even have to be careful with the micro fibers on my glossy brown Ashwood I guess? Jeez. I better figure out what to use then Any suggestions?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I use Meguiar's Ultra Quik Wax G17516 on the wood trim. It is a synthetic hydrophobic polymer (no wax). Nothing sticks to it. When the interior gets dusty I simply clean it with a bit of pure compressed air. I use a similar product on the car's exterior and clean it with a spray of water and let it dry (never any spots). I do have to clean the glass inside and out. I use product called Invisible Glass.

Meguiar's has many products including an interior spray cleaner for the dash and LCD's. I have not tried it.
The following 2 users liked this post by ua549:
arnsbrae (12-19-2018), nycebo (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 11:19 AM

Infiniti M35x
Yeah I was using Invisible Glass on my old car as well. Now what type of cloth do you wipe off the Quick Wax with?

I too am a fan of Meguiar's as I generally usevthe Quick Detail and Quick Interior Detail
Old 12-19-2018, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by Argelius
Thank you, all, for your thoughtful commentary. I’m going to skip the piano black and go with either the glossy brown ash or natural black ash. Know I’ll be happy with either of those! Now for the 4-month waiting period for my car...
So what car are you getting? You never did say.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche boxster S, 2010.
Originally Posted by mister__p
I know someone who had their center console wrapped in the first week after delivery. Apparently, his console still looks like new and you really can't notice the wrap unless you look very closely (which no-one ever does). This might be an option if you want to keep the console looking like new.

In my case, I opted for the open pore black ash trim after seeing how scratched up and greasy the glossy consoles were in the test drive cars and learning from sales that the consoles had been scratched from daily wiping using micro-fibers. What I don't get is why MB didn't use the same type of plastic as they do on the back of the key. The back of my key is a glossy piano black and still scratch free after 4 months in my pocket bashing against key rings, coins and other bits.
thanks for input! Did the dealer make the wrapping? Yeah I also dont get why they dont get a harder plastic, especially since its the Only one that match the designo panels, which is the most expensive panels..

Its been 12 weeks since order, still not being build, cant wait haha.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Courthaven
Yeah I was using Invisible Glass on my old car as well. Now what type of cloth do you wipe off the Quick Wax with?

I too am a fan of Meguiar's as I generally usevthe Quick Detail and Quick Interior Detail
I use very soft cotton towels (not micro fiber) for almost every vehicle chore. I buy inexpensive kitchen towels from Bed Bath & Beyond using their 20% discount coupon sent each week to my wife.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by rustybear3
So what car are you getting? You never did say.
Originally was going to go for the sedan, but I ultimately decided on the E 450 coupe!
Old 12-19-2018, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by Argelius

Originally was going to go for the sedan, but I ultimately decided on the E 450 coupe!
Excellent choice! I have the E450 CAB and absolutely love it!!
Old 12-19-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe & 2018 E400 Sedan with P3.
Argelius, what did the dealer say as to why wait time is 4 months. I have a 2018 E400 and waited 6 months, but have the car for 1 year now. I am planning on upgrading my 2013 E350 coupe for the new E450 coupe, with digital display and HUD, along with all of the technology options. Have them in the sedan and couldn’t get one without those options..
Old 12-19-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
Originally Posted by capitan0
thanks for input! Did the dealer make the wrapping? Yeah I also dont get why they dont get a harder plastic, especially since its the Only one that match the designo panels, which is the most expensive panels..

Its been 12 weeks since order, still not being build, cant wait haha.
No, the wrap was done by a car detailing/wrap shop.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:42 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
the black is rubbish and it's plastic.
all the others are metal or real wood.