E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Whining/slight howling noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Whining/slight howling noise

my 2019 E450 cab has developed what I can only describe as a howl or slight whine. It seems to be coming from the left side of the car (at least when I’m sitting in the drivers seat).

it is noticeable more when the car starts , or when it’s been at a stop light.

Anybody heard art of this (no pun intended)?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
I have a 2019 E450 wagon with the acoustic comfort package. I don't hear the slight whine. So either it's because I don't have it OR it's because the acoustic comfort package masks it.

Best thing to do is stand outside the car and listen to from where in the engine it appears to be originating.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Did some messing around. Originally I thought it couldn’t be the Air Body Control but now I think it might be.

Woukd hear the mosning/whining from time to time but now I can make it repeat over and over by raising the car—either by going from Econ/Sport/Sport+ into Comfort or by pushing the RAISE button.

You can can hear the very soft sound of the air compressors upon raising, but shortly thereafter the moan/whine sound starts. It stops about 3 seconds after the car finishes raising.

ABC must be constantly putting in and taking out air while in a single mode because the moan/whine also happens when I haven’t commanded the car to change modes or raise.

Guess its it’s time to go to the dealer — now for the third defect in the 4 months since I’ve had the car 😡
Old 01-19-2019, 01:33 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
'20 E Wagon
I think I may have a similar slight moan. I originally thought it was a power steering issue, as on past old cars that’s the most similar sound although much much fainter. I guess my wagon has a self leveling rear, which works similarly to the air suspension ( would love to see the details).

I most frequently hear it during y-turn maneuvers or immediately following as I stop. So I know it’s not steering related as it’ll sound when I’m not steering. Not brake related as it’ll sound when I’m fully stopped.