Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Comfort Box Question

 
Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Frank Rizzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: via Mulholland
Posts: 324
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
2018 E43
Comfort Box Question

I feel like the one option I wish I had was the Comfort Box. Somebody posted a video and it looks pretty cool .... but I bought the car as-is and did not want to pollute the deal by trying to add it in. Now I'm looking into adding it - seemed like it would be easy since it is a PIO.

I've founds lots of the boxes on Ebay (some are brand new, never been installed) - but they all universally do not include the "brackets". When I question sellers about how/where/what kind of brackets, they either do not answer or say something generic like "just get them from your dealer"

Does anyone have any actual insight on what kind of brackets are needed for the W213 Comfort Box and maybe the part number(s) please? Most Benz dealerships parts departments are not too helpful looking for esoteric parts - (but super helpful when you want to buy a set of 4 wheels at full-pop retail) - so I'd rather walk in with part numbers and just say "please order these for me"...

Thank in advance!
.
Frank Rizzo is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:37 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Cambridgehank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 298
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
E400
Tell me more about this comfort box thingy? I have not heard of it before.
Cambridgehank is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:44 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
ygmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 431
Liked 45 Times in 42 Posts
2015 E400
read this one:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...anization.html

Box fits under shelf tray in trunk and the center can go down to fit taller things init otherwise press a button and the bottom comes up.
Weight limit to 11 lbs I think? and easily removed by turning knobs and pulling it out.
ygmn is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Cambridgehank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 298
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
E400
Thanks. I have a collapsible crate in the trunk, where my spare tire should be. I thought that the comfort box was something for the ride comfort.
Cambridgehank is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:07 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 34
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2019 SL550. 2018 E400S4. 2014 CLS550
One came with my CLS and I never used it and eventually removed it. It decreases the height of trunk space available for larger items such as suitcases. Height is limited in the CLS trunk, I donít know about the E sedan but something to consider.

Last edited by allfortheunion; 02-09-2019 at 07:52 PM.
allfortheunion is offline  
The following users liked this post: allfortheunion
Frank Rizzo (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:15 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hermosa Beach, California
Posts: 231
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
The_Judge is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:29 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 139
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
e300
This box/bag has come in SO handy! It came with my car and cost $300 I had no idea what it was.

I use it nearly anytime I buy anything.

I think all cars should have
mobster600 is offline  
The following users liked this post: mobster600
CarFan1 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:31 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 156
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic BRABUS FTW
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
I feel like the one option I wish I had was the Comfort Box. Somebody posted a video and it looks pretty cool .... but I bought the car as-is and did not want to pollute the deal by trying to add it in. Now I'm looking into adding it - seemed like it would be easy since it is a PIO.

I've founds lots of the boxes on Ebay (some are brand new, never been installed) - but they all universally do not include the "brackets". When I question sellers about how/where/what kind of brackets, they either do not answer or say something generic like "just get them from your dealer"

Does anyone have any actual insight on what kind of brackets are needed for the W213 Comfort Box and maybe the part number(s) please? Most Benz dealerships parts departments are not too helpful looking for esoteric parts - (but super helpful when you want to buy a set of 4 wheels at full-pop retail) - so I'd rather walk in with part numbers and just say "please order these for me"...

Thank in advance!
.

Is this the one you are talking about?

Amazon Amazon

I have a pretty much new one for sale. It was a dealer installed option for me in October when I purchased my new E300. It was used maybe 2 times and that was to show off to friends that I have one in the trunk the first day I took delivery of the car. A week later of being in my trunk unused I removed it.

I am selling mine for $250 shipped with Fedex 1 Day shipping. I can of course send you detailed pictures of it and all. If you're at all interested PM me.
suby01 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:32 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Egonvdv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Dutchy Living in Marseille, France
Posts: 1,231
Liked 106 Times in 86 Posts
W213 200CDI -Fascination
i also have a collapsible crate in the trunk, wich to me seems to do the same thing, only does not get in the way when you don't use it..?.
Egonvdv is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 156
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic BRABUS FTW
Originally Posted by Egonvdv View Post
i also have a collapsible crate in the trunk, wich to me seems to do the same thing, only does not get in the way when you don't use it..?.
The collapsible crate comes standard in the E Class MSRP $50 and the Comfort Box is a add on MB accessory. MSRP $300





suby01 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:47 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
ygmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 431
Liked 45 Times in 42 Posts
2015 E400
I use mine all the time.
Great for the bread when grocery shopping as it keeps it fromgetting smooshed.

Got a cake and do not want it to slide around - in the box it goes...

Easy to remove just the 2 knobs you turn by hand and it pulls out.. as front bracket thingys go into some hole.

I can fit my luggage under it and does not take up room for our bags on long trips plus we put stuff we readily need in there like jackets or hats..

I also have the baggage net on trunk floor which is nice too.
ygmn is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:38 PM
  #12  
Member
 
West_Coaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 102
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
'17 E300
Cuts down on the number of bodies you can put in the trunk.
West_Coaster is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:27 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,361
Liked 351 Times in 314 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
You can pick them up on eBay for around $100-$150.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM...e/123634014614
cetialpha5 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:05 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,325
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Our E400 came off the lot with the comfort box. No offense to anyone who likes it, but I certainly do not. It takes up space in the trunk, even when not extended down. I didn't order it with my E450 but it came with a simple pull down hanger, that I can hang bags on, which I find infinitely more useful. Again, just my opinion, but it's not an option I would ever order myself.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:15 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,361
Liked 351 Times in 314 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Our E400 came off the lot with the comfort box. No offense to anyone who likes it, but I certainly do not. It takes up space in the trunk, even when not extended down. I didn't order it with my E450 but it came with a simple pull down hanger, that I can hang bags on, which I find infinitely more useful. Again, just my opinion, but it's not an option I would ever order myself.
In the W211 you could add an extra hook, but in the W212 there's only room for one hook.
cetialpha5 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:19 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,325
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
In the W211 you could add an extra hook, but in the W212 there's only room for one hook.
Either way, I find that hook infinitely more useful than the fold-down comfort box for $350.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 05:43 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rustybear3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Cleveland area
Posts: 1,087
Liked 90 Times in 81 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
Having an E450 CAB, it wouldn't work and I couldn't have it if I wanted to.
rustybear3 is online now  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Frank Rizzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: via Mulholland
Posts: 324
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
2018 E43
soooo many replies, but yet many dont answer the question. Now I know how so many get high p0st counts...

Does anyone know the part number for the brackets or have any of the installation instructions....?

.
Frank Rizzo is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Cao Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 402
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
2018 E300 P2 & 2015 ML350
Originally Posted by ygmn View Post
I use mine all the time.
Great for the bread when grocery shopping as it keeps it fromgetting smooshed.

Got a cake and do not want it to slide around - in the box it goes...

Easy to remove just the 2 knobs you turn by hand and it pulls out.. as front bracket thingys go into some hole.

I can fit my luggage under it and does not take up room for our bags on long trips plus we put stuff we readily need in there like jackets or hats..

I also have the baggage net on trunk floor which is nice too.
Ditto. I use it all the time. Store a shorty umbrella in there for the wife's hairdo, microfibre towels for drying the car, couple cans of tennis ***** (could be Titelist golf ***** for you duffers), a nylon windbreaker. etc. If you think you have use for it, it is very handy. The foldable plastic box in the tire well isn't nearly as useful.

As to the orginal post, are you certain there are separate brackets. The link below, from the W212 forum, seems to imply that it comes as a complete assembly. Maybe you could PM the OP in that post. Good luck.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...l#&gid=1&pid=3

Last edited by Cao Black; 02-08-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Cao Black is offline  
The following users liked this post: Cao Black
Frank Rizzo (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,325
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
soooo many replies, but yet many dont answer the question. Now I know how so many get high p0st counts...

Does anyone know the part number for the brackets or have any of the installation instructions....?

.
I'm sure if someone knew, they would have provided a response. Why not just contact your dealer? People either ordered it with their car, or it came with a car they purchased off the lot.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 05:41 AM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rustybear3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Cleveland area
Posts: 1,087
Liked 90 Times in 81 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
"Car brackets sold separately at MB dealers based on the VIN of your vehicle"
rustybear3 is online now  
The following users liked this post: rustybear3
Frank Rizzo (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 08:44 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Frank Rizzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: via Mulholland
Posts: 324
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
2018 E43
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
I'm sure if someone knew, they would have provided a response. Why not just contact your dealer? People either ordered it with their car, or it came with a car they purchased off the lot.
Yep. I'm sure too. I was just hoping that somebody out there had actual experience with installing the box that they could share. I live in Los Angeles which probably has more Benz dealers per square mile than anyplace else in North America - like I said above, have yet to find one with a Parts Department that was eager to help you research parts (rather than selling chrome valve stem caps). So I was trying to avoid that and walk in with some actual information.
.

.
Frank Rizzo is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:26 AM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,325
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Well and no offense, but your emoji and posturing on why some of us have high post counts, really didn't go over well as far as I'm concerned. This is a great group of very helpful and honestly fun people to share our W213 experiences with. If someone knows an answer, they willingly share.
rbrylaw is offline  
The following users liked this post: rbrylaw
stephos (02-11-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 09:52 AM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,361
Liked 351 Times in 314 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Well and no offense, but your emoji and posturing on why some of us have high post counts, really didn't go over well as far as I'm concerned. This is a great group of very helpful and honestly fun people to share our W213 experiences with. If someone knows an answer, they willingly share.
Are you familiar with the name? Frank Rizzo, he's an auto mechanic, from the Jerky boys.


cetialpha5 is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,325
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Can honestly say I've never heard of him, but did listen to the recording. I wouldn't hire him. No, I wouldn't!
rbrylaw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Comfort Box Question


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: