E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

W213 17 E300 WIND NOICE from sunroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450 AMG & 2016 GLE450 AMG & 2017 E300 4matic
Unhappy W213 17 E300 WIND NOICE from sunroof

Hi I have a US spec 2017 E300 4matic with P3 package. I have the small one-piece sunroof not the panoramic. I got the car used with around 7000miles on it. First time I went through a machine car wash I notice some water leaking from the sunroof then I panicked and dropped the car off the dealer right after. They cleaned the drains and adjusted the sunroof. After the first service, I still noticed wind noice coming from the sunroof driving 65mph or + (if you put your hand up you can actually feel a light blow of wind coming in)(It's a e class and sounds like a 7 years old corolla... ). Then I go to a car wash again, after the first fix water is not dripping in the car but if you put your finger up the side you can feel it's wet. I went back the dealer they said there is nothing they can do, service advisor directly quoted:"It is by design the e class to hear some wind but if you close the sunroof blind it will be better", "we checked other 2017 E300 with similar options and we can feel it's a little wet if you put your finger on the side of the sunroof". I am so confused and frustrated, don't know what to do.

Second time in dealer (they said the wind noise is by design...)

First time in dealer
I am hoping other owners in this forum having similar issue and can share with me will be greatly appreciated. I currently own a 17 C450 and 17 GLE450 coupe with no similar issue at all... In fact even my w213 C450 is noticeably more quiet inside the cabin than e class...
Bellow attached receipt from dealer
Old 04-12-2020, 11:54 AM

2017 E300
Did you ever find a solution to this. It is driving me insane.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 418 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Never had that problem in my 2019 E450: Of course if I close the shade it is quieter than with the shade open but that is to be expected.
But never have had water ever leaking in or wetness. Never had had an issue with wind or sound.
When "Sheltering In" is canceled suggest you go to a different dealer and if they are unable to fix the problem, contact MB headquarters.

Hopes this helps.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:34 PM

2017 E300
Originally Posted by JTK44
Never had that problem in my 2019 E450: Of course if I close the shade it is quieter than with the shade open but that is to be expected.
But never have had water ever leaking in or wetness. Never had had an issue with wind or sound.
When "Sheltering In" is canceled suggest you go to a different dealer and if they are unable to fix the problem, contact MB headquarters.

Hopes this helps.
Absolutely. Just purchased this CPO and the dealership I purchased from has to be one of the worst. - Curb rashed my lease when I was servicing it before turn-in (prior to buying this car). Service manager made a note that they'd pay any damage to MBFS if they charge. Then after buying this car I go out into the parking lot and the sales man backed up the CPO into a white pole (leaving a scuff). Now after driving the car home the sunroof is making noise as if a window is left open. Has been an absolute nightmare. Going to call the GM tomorrow and see if they can resolve these issues if not, I'm going to return the vehicle (dealership has 5 day/250 mile return policy). At this point I'm so disgusted with my buying experience - it has taken the joy out of purchasing a new (to me) car.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
"but if you close the sunroof blind it will be better" - How much difference could this "band-aid" really make …?
I can confirm that I have no wind noise from the sunroof.
Unfortunately with Mercedes it seems that when they can't fix a problem, we the consumers just have to live with it...
Old 04-16-2020, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 CLS450 4Matic Diamond White on Black leather
(I believe) this is a common issue, with a TSB from the factory. Should be a warranty item. My dealer fixed mine for me. No more wind noise around the sunroof and it's just as quiet with or without the sunshade drawn. If your dealer can't fix, I'd shop another service department. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2022, 01:15 AM

w213
sunroof issue

There is a solution to the sunroof concerns, but MB will only correct it if we pay $1k.(gasket) However, paragraph 18 specifically includes the "...sunroof, sunroof cables" in the CPO warranty verbiage.
IE dealers(at least mine) AND HQ are trying to weasel out of it.
I'll be filing docs at my local JP this week.