Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
How long before battery dies if not driven? >

How long before battery dies if not driven?

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

How long before battery dies if not driven?

 
Old 03-16-2019, 03:42 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
How long before battery dies if not driven?

Gotta travel for a couple months. Neighbors will have access to my keys in case car needs to be moved. But they may not be available to start it up periodically.

Will the starter battery die if it sits that long?

If I have wifi, I could start it myself via Mercedes Me from anywhere in the world, no? (Garage is well ventilated, and I could do it when no oneís around.)

Has anyone here tried that? How long between starts? Recommendations for or against?

lensjack is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 04:22 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
2012 merc amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Venice Florida
Posts: 2,848
Received 175 Likes on 157 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Best of putting it on a battery maintainer if you have an outlet. I get a battery partly charge reading after a week with no maintainer and after two weeks I get a battery critically low message. A battery maintainer is your friend with these cars no worries when itís hooked up and hooking it up is very easy.
2012 merc amg is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 04:28 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 443
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Just my $.02:

Buy a trickle charger. I have one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Very convenient.

FYI, I have been using one for my 2008 Boxster and the present battery is 7 years old and still works fine.

I recommend chargers made by CTEK but there are other good companies out there.

Here is a link: https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle
JTK44 is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 04:28 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic
You can set the car to turn off access to the battery while away for an extended time. I did it once and it told me how long the battery would last in the disconnected mode. You can buy a battery tender (trickle charger) if more time is needed and save the battery from fully discharging which is not good for the life span for the battery. On my wife's Lexus RX the battery is in the floor in the back and I have it hooked up all the time and just plug it in when needed. The MB has a more exposed connection point so that might not be ideal to leave it on the car full time.
2thfxr is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 06:33 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Thanks guys, for taking time to answer. I do own a trickle charger but wouldn't feel safe using it in this situation. It's a condo garage -- lots of foot traffic, workmen coming and going during the day, etc. The electrical outlet is 20 feet from my car. Using it overnight when I'm home is fine, but not when I'm away for two months.

I like the idea of learning how to shut off the car's battery access. Problem is, if anybody needs to move the car, they won't be able to.

Any thoughts on remotely starting the car in the middle of the night every couple of weeks, and letting it run for 10 minutes or so? Would that work?

Funny thing is, my wife's Lexus RX battery has always survived these long trips with no problem. The battery on my previous car, a Lexus GS, died every time. The Lexus service rep suggested I buy a $600 motherboard replacement that "might" fix the problem. Yeah, right. Instead I bought a Triple-A replacement battery under warranty for something like $39.
lensjack is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:23 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: US
Posts: 121
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 E400S
Check your manual: there's a setting to extend battery life if you will be parking for long times. I've used this for 2 week vacation airport parking. Be aware that this battery savings mode deactivates the alarm, and also the mercedes me remote access features. The bonus is that with a fully charged battery the car estimates anywhere between 22-26 weeks parking is OK. I've no idea how reliable this is. As for the alarm deactivation: I figured car was probably OK in an airport parking lot ...
wagonsrock is offline  
The following users liked this post:
lensjack (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 10:02 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
2012 merc amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Venice Florida
Posts: 2,848
Received 175 Likes on 157 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet and 2019 E450 Wagon.
You didnít say what car you have. If itís a 2018 up e class the standby mode can be found in the menu I believe under system. You will see it. I never tried it. I always just use the maintainer but I can understand in your situation my you donít want to do that option. To others who answered a trickle charger is old tech. A maintainer is the way to go. There is a difference. The maintainer goes into standby and charges in blasts. The trickle charger is always lightly charging. I believe any newer battery tender is classified as a maintainer.
2012 merc amg is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 10:56 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 443
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Dear 2012 Merc amg:

The CTEK trickle charger, see post #3, does not constantly charge: Constantly charging a battery will fry the battery.

Any good trickle charger will turn on and off: it monitor's the voltage of the battery and charges when needed. The CTEK above does this.
JTK44 is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
2012 merc amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Venice Florida
Posts: 2,848
Received 175 Likes on 157 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Schumacher Extender $25 on amazon.

Hereís what I use.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 03-16-2019 at 11:24 PM.
2012 merc amg is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 151
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
e300
Originally Posted by JTK44 View Post
Just my $.02:

Buy a trickle charger. I have one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Very convenient.

FYI, I have been using one for my 2008 Boxster and the present battery is 7 years old and still works fine.

I recommend chargers made by CTEK but there are other good companies out there.

Here is a link: https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle
You can charge a battery via the cigarette lighter? How is that possible?
mobster600 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Golfingman (03-20-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:40 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,472
Received 365 Likes on 327 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
You can charge a battery via the cigarette lighter? How is that possible?
It depends if the cigarette lighter is still powered when the ignition is off. I think in previous models, you could set it so that the cigarette lighter was on by switching the position of a fuse.
cetialpha5 is online now  
Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 443
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Instead of having to open the trunk and hook up to the battery, a pain in the as*, you get one that connects to the cigarette lighter. Our Boxster is not used on a daily basis. The charger with monitor is used while the car is in our garage. When we use the car, we unplug from the cigarette lighter. When we return we plug in again. The battery is thus maintained.

Without the charger, after 9 months we had to replace the battery - there times. We got in touch with Porsche. Under warranty they replaced two batteries. They refused on the third. They said we should be using a trickle charger. They sent us one, made by CTEK free of charge. I replaced the battery with one from Auto Zone. That was 6 years ago! It is still working fine.

Here is the link to the battery charger: Note it is made by CTEK: https://www.prestigeimports.net/tric...ry-maintainer/

Last edited by JTK44; 03-17-2019 at 09:25 AM.
JTK44 is online now  
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,249
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
Make sure you car actually has a 12v (cigarette lighter) socket. My 2018 does not have a 12v connection. It has 115v connection instead.

There are charging posts in the engine compartment.
ua549 is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM
  #14  
Super Member
 
TPAbnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 905
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E300W
Originally Posted by wagonsrock View Post
Check your manual: there's a setting to extend battery life if you will be parking for long times.
The dealer told me there is a "standby" setting to curtail battery drain; I believe there is something like that for the key too. Parking for extended periods and instructions on how to activate standby are on pages 146-147 of the 2017 manual.

Last edited by TPAbnz; 03-17-2019 at 11:14 AM.
TPAbnz is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 12:03 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 443
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster


Dear ua549:

In my 2019 E450 there are not one but two 12 volt receptacles that you can insert the battery charger:
  1. One is the foot well of the passenger side just below the glove box;
  2. The second one is in the center console for the rear passengers
I have attached photos of each.
JTK44 is online now  
Old 03-17-2019, 12:16 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,249
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
Those are not in my 2018. I asked the shop foreman if they could be added and was told no.

Standby mode is described on page 157 in my 2018 operator manual.
ua549 is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 12:29 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,288
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
4 MBs



Originally Posted by JTK44 View Post

Dear ua549:

In my 2019 E450 there are not one but two 12 volt receptacles that you can insert the battery charger:
  1. One is the foot well of the passenger side just below the glove box;
  2. The second one is in the center console for the rear passengers
I have attached photos of each.
While I'm sure well intended and even informative for those not knowing much about their cars (there're more than some here, based on staff posted), the info, repeated in several posts, is useless for any charger/maintainer purpose because MB's sockets are dead when car is not powered. The only way to connect is directly to the battery or charging posts - both are under the hood.

Last edited by threeMBs; 03-17-2019 at 12:38 PM.
threeMBs is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 PM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
That loud wailing you hear is the sound of the siren on the Internet Police cruiser that's about to pull y'all over for runaway Thread Hijacking.

Seriously, though, thanks to all who mentioned Standby mode. My 2019 coupe does have it, and I'll look into it further.

No thoughts from anyone on the advisability of just remote starting the car from afar every couple of weeks? Would that keep the starter batter charged?
lensjack is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 08:59 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cetialpha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 3,472
Received 365 Likes on 327 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by lensjack View Post
That loud wailing you hear is the sound of the siren on the Internet Police cruiser that's about to pull y'all over for runaway Thread Hijacking.

Seriously, though, thanks to all who mentioned Standby mode. My 2019 coupe does have it, and I'll look into it further.

No thoughts from anyone on the advisability of just remote starting the car from afar every couple of weeks? Would that keep the starter batter charged?
Just a bad idea in general. There are stories where people ran gas generators in their garage and were overwhelmed by fumes and died just from opening the garage door.
cetialpha5 is online now  
Old 03-17-2019, 09:10 PM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
Just a bad idea in general. There are stories where people ran gas generators in their garage and were overwhelmed by fumes and died just from opening the garage door.
Thanks, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's a condo garage, extremely well ventilated. Fumes are a non-issue.

What I'm eager to learn is:

1) Would the car reliably start and stop via the Mercedes Me app from a foreign country as long as I have wifi?

2) Would running it at idle for ten minutes or so every couple of weeks keep the starter battery charged, or would it need to be driven to keep the starter battery charged?
lensjack is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 11:50 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
2012 merc amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Venice Florida
Posts: 2,848
Received 175 Likes on 157 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Just idling it ten minutes would not do much to charge the battery, Alternators really are not meant to be chargers, they are more or less there to maintain the charge of the battery. To do something measurable ya, you'd have to get it out on the highway at 2000 rpms for an hour or so.
2012 merc amg is online now  
Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 AM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,249
Received 242 Likes on 205 Posts
.
Originally Posted by lensjack View Post
Thanks, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's a condo garage, extremely well ventilated. Fumes are a non-issue.

What I'm eager to learn is:

1) Would the car reliably start and stop via the Mercedes Me app from a foreign country as long as I have wifi?

2) Would running it at idle for ten minutes or so every couple of weeks keep the starter battery charged, or would it need to be driven to keep the starter battery charged?
Mercedes me is not very reliable. I wouldn't count on it. Depending on where you park cellular signals may be unreliable as well. BTDT when trying to locate may car in a large airport parking garage.
ua549 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
lensjack (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 AM
  #23  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg View Post
Just idling it ten minutes would not do much to charge the battery, Alternators really are not meant to be chargers, they are more or less there to maintain the charge of the battery. To do something measurable ya, you'd have to get it out on the highway at 2000 rpms for an hour or so.
Thanks, merc. That's what I was trying to understand. So the common practice of people away on long trips having friends start and idle the car to keep the battery alive is just a waste of time, right?

It's sounding more and more like Standby mode is the only reasonable option.
lensjack is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:47 PM
  #24  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 569
Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC43, GTI, MDX
Originally Posted by lensjack View Post
Thanks, merc. That's what I was trying to understand. So the common practice of people away on long trips having friends start and idle the car to keep the battery alive is just a waste of time, right?

It's sounding more and more like Standby mode is the only reasonable option.
I would normally recommend CTEK, but you make a good point about your situation and length of time away. Plus, my CTEK has kind of gone in the crapper and the Mode button seems messed up, so not 100% sure the unit is working correctly...pretty disappointed in the quality, since I don't use it that much and it's only a few years old.

Anyway, go the "Standby" route...or rent out on Turo for a couple months.
Chrisk03 is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 09:02 PM
  #25  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 125
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Chrisk03 View Post
I would normally recommend CTEK, but you make a good point about your situation and length of time away. Plus, my CTEK has kind of gone in the crapper and the Mode button seems messed up, so not 100% sure the unit is working correctly...pretty disappointed in the quality, since I don't use it that much and it's only a few years old.

Anyway, go the "Standby" route...or rent out on Turo for a couple months.
Turo! That's the ticket!
lensjack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How long before battery dies if not driven?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: