E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Changing the Cabin Charcoal Filter in the E Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S450-4matic
Changing the Cabin Charcoal Filter in the E Sedan

My dealer charges $240 to change out this filter and after doing it myself I can see why.
The design of the filter and where it’s located is not well thought out, in fact it’s terrible.
Not having done this particular maintenance before it was a bear! I will never do this again and will let the dealer do it next time. It is the hardest thing I’ve ever done on the interior of an automobile. The housing is tucked right up against the firewall and just getting the old filter out was tuff and getting the new one in took 45 minutes. And if you’re not careful you can easily rip or tear the next filter and these
MB filters are $60 each, so you don’t want to screw this up. First you need to remove the plastic piece under the glove box or more accurately, you need to loosen it up and if you do it right it should lay on the floor with the right side on the floor and the left side should be hanging against the left side of the passengers floor compartment. Again, this isn’t a fun job and the only thing you’ll feel when you’re done is very sore and tired.
Sincerely, let the dealer do it. I had a 2010 E class sedan, and changing the cabin Filter in that car was a snap, the new model, the W213 is entirely different. If you do it right and take your time it’s about an hour to 1 1/2 hour job and you’ll never do it again.
Good luck.
Doc
Old 05-21-2019, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 807 Likes on 639 Posts
Are you referring to changing the combination cabin filter part #205-835-01-47-64? The genuine MB filter can be purchased for $50. My neighbor's son did it for me in less than 30 minutes. Here is a thread discussing the topic that contains MB replacement instructions posted by konigstiger.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
What’s the recommended service interval on the cabinfilter? Hopefully it’s something that will be done within my 3 year service plan although I doubt it since my maintainence plan is a car nation one rather than a Mercedes one.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
What’s the recommended service interval on the cabinfilter? Hopefully it’s something that will be done within my 3 year service plan although I doubt it since my maintainence plan is a car nation one rather than a Mercedes one.
As mentioned in the other thread, https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7756881, its every 20/2 (which IMHO is too often).

Notwithstanding of what is stated in post #2, I completely agree with OP in post #1, it is dealer only service item (labor cost is around $90+, depending on a dealer) with customer supplied genuine MB OEM filter. I would never do it myself even if "they" pay me. With patience, this genuine MB OEM filter can be bought on eBay for 1/2 of the price that dealers want for it. I stocked up, bought 3 with average price of just $30 (MSRP is $70+tax, but many dealers "sell" with service for over MSRP as most people/customers have no clue).