E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Alternative to Run Flats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Alternative to Run Flats?

Michelin is offering A/S self-sealing tires. From the description, the tires contain a sealant that will correct a puncture up to 1/4". Does anyone have experience with these? https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/wh...echnology.html
Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Interesting concept. I had not heard of this. My Porsche comes with a flat sealant kit which I used once in the first 6 months of buying. I'd be interested in knowing more about the ride. I put non-runflats on our BMW 3 years ago and never had an issue or concern since then. In an abundance of caution I purchased a flat sealant kit which I placed in the trunk. Newer tires are much better than when I was kid and as infrequent as flat tires are I prefer the sealant route to the protection of runflats.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
I checked with Tire Rack — no Michelin self-sealing tires for my 2018 E400C with staggered 19" tires. Having switched out the Michelin RFT's that came with the car (which rode like the stone wheels on Fred Flintstone's "car") for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and then having a flat in the first 400 miles, I'd be very interested in such tires IF they ride and handle as well as the Pilot Sport 4Ss.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Just my $.02:

I have been following this post because I have Pirelli P7 Cinturato RF tires - all season. Have had the car for 6 months and totally satisfied with the ride, handling and even snow conditions. The ride is excellent and they are quiet!

I am in the North East so a summer tire like the Judge put on his car, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is not a viable option.

I previously posted about a spare in the well of my E450 - but does non fit there. I do not want to give up my trunk space for a spare.

I also decided against run flat sealant as if used you must replace the TPMS system and sometimes the wheel as well if you do not clean the wheel quickly.

As a stop gap I have a high quality battery operated air pump in the well of my trunk. Other than a sidewall blowout, I should be able to keep the tire sufficiently inflated, so as not to damage the sidewalls, to get it to a garage where the flat can be fixed.

In another post, the P7 allow for one flat to be fixed.

So I am interested in the self sealing tires and if anyone has experience with them, like the OP, I would love to hear from them.

One final thought: if you lease, as I do, when you return your car, you must have similar tires: i.e., if the car came with Run Flats, at lease end you must have Run Flats as well.

Last edited by JTK44; 07-20-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't think twice about switching out the run flats for a conventional tire. In my 50 years of driving, I've NEVER had a blowout where a runflat would come into play. Lots of slow leaks, yes, but blowouts, no.

As JTK44 suggests, a good 12V airpump for top offs is a good idea. I keep one in my trunk, along with a cheap Wallyworld tire plug kit, in case the tire leaks down too far overnight. Just pull the nail, rasp out the hole, and feed a rubber plug slathered in kit sealant provided, and it's as good as a tire seller repair, IMO. Replenish the air pressure with the pump and you're in business. I've gotten so good with this that often I can plug a flat with the tire on the car. And my plugs hold for years afterwards.

I do NOT like the idea of tire sealant that messes up the TPMS sensor, or settles in one spot inside the tire once you park for a while (balance issues).

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-20-2019 at 09:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The_Judge (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Like DFWDude, I've had very few punctures and no blowouts in some 57 years of driving — with the exception of one set of tires that came on a car I had several years ago (Mercedes E55 or CLS or maybe it was a Cadillac CTS, can't remember). I think they were Goodyear Beagles, which for some reason, perhaps the type of rubber used, they picked up every goddamned screw, nail, and sharp object they encountered. Dumped them for Michelins after the 4th or 5th puncture in 6 months, end of problem. Aside from those, I've had maybe 10 punctures in my driving life, and only one in the last several years (unfortunately that occurred within 400 miles of dumping the RTFs that came with my 2018 E400C — see link above). Given that experience, I echo his feelings about switching to conventional tires — but in the event of another puncture I ain't about to crawl under the car to try to plug it, especially as I'm often in my work clothes (suit and tie) when driving. That's what AAA and my car insurance policy's roadside assistance are for, neither of which I've every had to use. Yet.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by The_Judge
...but in the event of another puncture I ain't about to crawl under the car to try to plug it, especially as I'm often in my work clothes (suit and tie) when driving. That's what AAA and my car insurance policy's roadside assistance are for, neither of which I've every had to use. Yet.
I know I should have explained a bit more... Like ECO Stop/Start, all conditions have to be met before I will crawl under the car fender to plug a flat:

1) It's a Sat/Sun morning and I'm not going to work,
2) I'm in the garage for other business and discover a tire leak-down, meaning I have the time to play,
3) I plan to do some other task that will soil my shirt or jeans later, and elect to fix the tire first
4) the flat is on a rear tire, and...
5) the source of the puncture is in plain sight facing out the garage door where I can get to it easily,
6) I feel inclined to get on my knees/back, etc.

I'd had two knee replacements in the last 8 months, so tire work on my knees/back are no longer in the cards.
The following users liked this post:
The_Judge (07-22-2019)