E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Improving sound insulation (soundproofing) in 220D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 W213 E220d 4MATIC
Improving sound insulation (soundproofing) in 220D

I bought 220d because I thought I would get used to the sound of the engine. Unfortunately, I am not able to accept this clatter, earlier I had Jaguar S-Type V6 in gasoline and the sound had great and probably that's why I can't get used to the current situation.

I have two ideas to improve the soundproofing of the engine inside the cabin at least a bit:
- replacement of the windscreen with the one from the Acoustic Comfort package
- attaching the mats to the car hood

After all, I would pass a comparative report using a decibelimeter. I have questions about this
1. Does anyone have a comparison with and without the Acoustic Comfort Package for soundproofing the engine inside the cab.
2. Can I do anything else to mute the engine from what I wrote?

Old 09-23-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E200 sedan
Originally Posted by CzarnyLewis
I bought 220d because I thought I would get used to the sound of the engine. Unfortunately, I am not able to accept this clatter, earlier I had Jaguar S-Type V6 in gasoline and the sound had great and probably that's why I can't get used to the current situation.

I have two ideas to improve the soundproofing of the engine inside the cabin at least a bit:
- replacement of the windscreen with the one from the Acoustic Comfort package
- attaching the mats to the car hood

After all, I would pass a comparative report using a decibelimeter. I have questions about this
1. Does anyone have a comparison with and without the Acoustic Comfort Package for soundproofing the engine inside the cab.
2. Can I do anything else to mute the engine from what I wrote?
from what I understand the acoustic comfort package doesnt do very much for engine noise as it is very isolated as it is, modern diesels are loud because of injectors. Acoustic package is more for wind noise and ambient noise. Try finding a dealer that have an e class with acoustic to try and see if it is worthwile according to you.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 W213 E220d 4MATIC
Over the next three days I will try to check where the most noise from the engine occurs. With a decibel meter I will try to check if the amount of noise at the windshield is not greater than in part at the driver's legs.