E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2017 Multibean Headlights lack of curve illumination function in the US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 4Matic Q3 Pkg.
Angry 2017 Multibean Headlights lack of curve illumination function in the US

I'm very frustrated today after returning from my 3 yr "A" service at my MB dealer. I have a 2017 E400 4Matic that was a European delivery vehicle. When the car arrived back in the US after driving in Germany for a week I noticed that neither the cornering lights nor any active curve illumination worked. After two trips to the delivering dealer they managed to fix the cornering lights but did nothing about the lack of any curve illumination with the multibeam headlights. Only active auto high beams work. A previous post almost two years ago yielded a post and video from another US owner showing how turning the steering wheel would produce a change in the headlight beam direction. I showed that to the service writer and his senior tech when dropping the car off. I fully understand that these 84 led lights are not servo controlled to swivel but somehow they should switch on and off to change the light beam pattern. US DOT regulations will not allow the full functionality of these fantastic headlights in the US and I'm sure if regulations ever change MB will not activate for previous models. I feel like I could have bought a Honda CRV with LED lights for just auto high beams and paid a lot less for similar functionality!

Fast forward to picking up my car today. The service writer and senior tech said they contacted MB and they will not allow any change to the light pattern that I have and everything is set up properly for the US. Does anyone in the US have ta 2017 with the multibeam headlights function with active curve illumination that could post a video of the lights reacting around a curve or even in a garage turning your steering wheel? I'm frustrated as I have seen a video of the lights functioning by another US owner but the dealer said they were not factory adjusted lights since no curve illumination exists with my Q3 equipped car.

So where do I go next to get these to function even in the dumbed down mode allowed by the US DOT as two dealers have tried and can't activate? Does anyone have a technical service phone number or contact in the US to help resolve this problem; please provide it?

On another note, speaking to my service writer and asking about a 3 pack of prepaid services he told me I would save a boatload of money vs out of pocket ($~700) services for a B-A-B package from 36-72 months. I might be ready to bite the bullet but was also told that if the car were in a crash and totaled or if I traded before I used the 3 service packages that I would be out the unused value of the package. Seems like a risk to take and will have me investigating using a non dealer foreign car shop for my services once out of warranty. Seems like MB is forcing customers to consider non MB services under that scenario vs taking the risk.

Not happy about:
- Headlights that don't have active curve illumination
- No ability to remote park the car via a cell phone in a tight garage (ok I understand liability and DOT problems for the US) but don't advertise that on intro date
- 3 Year Tom Tom live traffic has expired and no option to renew or replace the live traffic option. Seems like we bought an expensive Nav system that cost a large amount to update and no real traffic updates. I could purchase a portable unit with lifetime updates and live traffic for only a few hundred dollars!

I expect more from MB and I'm disappointed in an otherwise great car. Love the comfort, economy and ride of my car but for close to $70k customers should be able to have all systems function and communication from the manufacturer when "Live" traffic updates are gone as to what other options exist.

Thank all my US based forum members for their responses and help! Maybe something can be done....?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 600 Likes on 455 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
I have a 2019 E450. I just turned 75 and want as much light as possible for night driving. So I opted for Exterior lighting package, option 319, cost $800, which was supposed to include:
  • Lighting package
  • Adaptive high beam assist
  • LED Intelligent Light System

Here is what I got

• Adaptive high beam assist
  • Cornering lights
The adaptive high beam assist is nice, but not a big deal: I am able to turn the high beams off and on and have been doing so for many years. This is not something new, in the 1950's and 1960's Cadillac had this feature: Remember the "gun" on the dashboard that sensed light form approaching vehicles.

The cornering lights are nice but certainly not worth $800.

As long ago 2013 my 5 series BMW had lights that followed the steering wheel: if you turned right the lights went right and left the lights went left, so if was legal then I assume it is legal now.

Like you I really enjoy my E450: it is an exquisite automobile. But after a while you begin to wonder if it is just too expensive to justify.

Throw in the cost of routine service and you start to scratch your head!

Last edited by JTK44; 10-01-2019 at 07:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
forecastdude (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 08:08 PM

2017 E300 4Matic Q3 Pkg.
Thanks for your reply. I think we all have to understand what exactly we are getting light wise with these packages as descriptions vs reality don't always match. I have a 2017 E300 4 Matic with the Q3 package (P3 had full digital dash) and has the 84 LED multi beam headlights. Distronic scares me when I see traffic stopped and even at the longest setting barrel up on people at 50+ MPH as it hit the brakes to calm my nerves before any braking is applied.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:53 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
So, are we now saying that 2019 E450 headlights do not steer with the car, as advertised, while my 2012 Golf's headlights do?? Yes, I paid that $800 on my ordered E450 Wagon, basically /only/ for the steering feature!
Old 10-01-2019, 09:58 PM

Per the description when spec'ing out a 2020, part 1 of the $800 Exterior Lighting Package is:

LED Intelligent Light System headlamps

Pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, active LED headlamps generate light that's perceived much like natural daylight. Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist continuously vary the beam pattern of the LEDs in each headlamp to help maximize the illumination of corners and straightaways, without creating glare for other drivers.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:59 PM

2017 E300 4Matic Q3 Pkg.
Originally Posted by rraisley
So, are we now saying that 2019 E450 headlights do not steer with the car, as advertised, while my 2012 Golf's headlights do?? Yes, I paid that $800 on my ordered E450 Wagon, basically /only/ for the steering feature!
I can’t answer that question as I have a 2017 but since the US DOT hasn’t changed headlight standards I’m guessing that the multi beams do not function like they would in Germany.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by forecastdude
I can’t answer that question as I have a 2017 but since the US DOT hasn’t changed headlight standards I’m guessing that the multi beams do not function like they would in Germany.
But the quote above is from the MBUSA web site, not Germany's. I understand there are differences in country equipment and regulations, but they've been advertising this feature this way for a l-o-n-g time.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:13 PM

2017 E300 4Matic Q3 Pkg.
But the quote above is from the MBUSA web site, not Germany's. I understand there are differences in country equipment and regulations, but they've been advertising this feature this way for a l-o-n-g time.
Now you understand why I’m frustrated to say the least. I just want my light beam to curve with the steering wheel not change the number of LED’s working as they would in Germany to black out ones that would blind an oncoming driver as they operate in high beam status all the time and black out LED’s as car approaches....

US advertising is misleading!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by forecastdude
Now you understand why I’m frustrated to say the least. I just want my light beam to curve with the steering wheel not change the number of LED’s working as they would in Germany to black out ones that would blind an oncoming driver as they operate in high beam status all the time and black out LED’s as car approaches....

US advertising is misleading!
AFAIK, the construction of the light is the same as Germany, and the way it lights curves is to black out ones to the outside of the curve and light ones to the inside. All the functionality equipment is there.

I don't own a Mercedes yet, but I could have sworn that when I borrowed a 2018 E300 for a day, that the lights steered around curves. I know it also blacked out light, using high beams, that would have blinded the driver in front of me. And when they started up, they did a little up/down/side-to-side dance to show their capabilities. Are we /sure/ that U.S. E's don't have the steering feature?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
If you go to Youtube and look at the multibeam headlights for Europe you will see for example in oncoming traffic the part of the lights to the left will be lower than the right. Those LED bulbs are turned on and off and the pattern varies and they do swing with input from the steering wheel.

This feature is not available on US certified cars.

On my car when they turn on (high beams) they "sweep" which is pretty cool. They also turn off to low beams below 20 mph. I found this annoying as well. Where I live there are no street lights, and it is very dark. As I approach a stop sigh at 20 MPH the high beams turn off, even if there is no car anywhere.

Another point: my adaptive head lights failed and a replacement switch had to be flown in from Germany - all under warranty. The original system had the high beams turned off at 30 mph. So the replacement switch controlling the adaptive high beams is better by 10 mph. So when you get your E450 if the lights turn off at 30 mph instead of 20 mph, you have a defective switch.

But no, they do no turn as you turn the steering wheel unlike your 2012 Golf and my 2013 BMW 535i xdrive (6 cylinder turbo)

Major disappointment for $800. As I posted corning lights and adaptive high beam for $800 : no bargain - but for me only $320 as I lease!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:25 PM

2017 E300 4Matic Q3 Pkg.
AFAIK, the construction of the light is the same as Germany, and the way it lights curves is to black out ones to the outside of the curve and light ones to the inside. All the functionality equipment is there.

I don't own a Mercedes yet, but I could have sworn that when I borrowed a 2018 E300 for a day, that the lights steered around curves. I know it also blacked out light, using high beams, that would have blinded the driver in front of me. And when they started up, they did a little up/down/side-to-side dance to show their capabilities. Are we /sure/ that U.S. E's don't have the steering feature?

I’m being told by my dealer
my multi beams are performing properly and no software is available for them to update and provide active curve illumination. I have seen a short YouTube video by another US based driver showing that active curve illumination works in their 2017 E300 w multi beam headlights. Why can’t they do something to activate mine is the question and who can “make it happen”? I understand there is no servo like the old lights that would actually move the headlight. Individual LEDs would need to be activated and deactivated to accomplish a change in light pattern. I agree the hardware is there but dealer can’t get it to work as no software exists for them to apply to my vehicle.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by JTK44
If you go to Youtube and look at the multibeam headlights for Europe you will see for example in oncoming traffic the part of the lights to the left will be lower than the right. Those LED bulbs are turned on and off and the pattern varies and they do swing with input from the steering wheel.

This feature is not available on US certified cars.
I am absolutely sure that when I drove the 2018 E300, with high beams on, they stayed on when coming up behind another car, but the light hitting the other car was dimmed. I definitely noted, and pointed out to my friend, how the lights shone into the distance on either side of the car, but not /at/ the car. I am less sure about the turning feature, because I wasn't driving that long or turning that much. But no way were my lights "going to low beam" when approaching another car. They worked how I thought they should (in my very inexperienced mind, in this area, admittedly).
Old 10-01-2019, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On my BMW there were servo's that actually moved the light assembly.

The LED are fixed, but in Europe, as you correctly point out, there is software to turn individual lights on and off to achieve different patterns - but as your dealer also correctly points out, that features has not been certified in the US and thus is not available.

I also hasten to add the lights on my E450 with the Exterior Lighting package are excellent - the best I have every driven - but with the software from Europe it could even be better!

I have not driven a car without the Exterior Lighting Package, but other than the cornering lights and adaptive headlights, is there any other difference? I think all 2019 and newer MB come with LED's so that would be the same.

If it is the same, then you can decided if the adaptive headlights (automatic on and off plus cornering lights) are worth the extra $800.

When I approach a car from behind the adaptive lighting takes over and the lights dim: they do not create a pattern dim at the car in front and high beam to the side of the car: They dim period.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
none yet
I have a 2018 E400. it has auto dimming high beams. when I am traveling around a corner it will pop on extra lights on side. I can see the light beams move in the direction of the curve when I turn the wheel.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When you turn on Turn Signal, that turns on the cornering lights. The cornering lights are part of the Exterior Lighting package. You did not say where you are. In the US the head lights, both low and high beam, do not move as you move the steering wheel.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:14 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
I have the upgraded light package - when i turn the wheel left or right, my lights will extend to the the side i am turning to. I am in the USA. 2018 e300
JTK44 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dear JHPMbusa and other posters:

I stand corrected and I apologize: I have the exterior lighting package.

Just returned from my car:
  • While at stop, with car in drive, as I turned the wheel left and then right the cornering lights came on left than right.
  • While driving if I turned the wheel left and then right the cornering lights came on, left then right.
  • While driving under 20 mph, with the low beams on, as I turned the wheel left than right, there was movement of the low beams left then right
  • While driving over 20 mph, with the high beams coming on automatically, assuming no oncoming traffic or car in front of me, as I turned the wheel left than right, the high beam headlights moved left than right: the movement was not as pronounced as on my prior 5 series BMW, but nevertheless there was movement.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:27 PM

Good to hear: I'm not crazy, and I'm getting my money's worth out of the $800 exterior lighting package. Thanks for posting.