E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Safety Recall 213 Platform

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Safety Recall 213 Platform

Just received notice of recall for my 2019 E450:

The recall deals with the seat belt and whether it is securely fastened or not.

Here is the language in the notice that I find fascinating:

"To remedy this issue, as a precautionary measure, an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer, will check the relevant seat belt buckles in the affected vehicles and replace them if necessary. Unfortunately, the parts to remedy this are currently not yet available" (emphasis added)

"We are working to obtain the necessary parts to correct his condition as quickly as possible. As parts become available, we will send you another letter asking you to take your vehicle to an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer to have the recall completed free of charge"

This gives new meaning to the phrase: "THE BEST OR NOTHING!"
Old 12-24-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes E300, 2015 Porsche Boxster S, 2012 Volvo S80 3.2
Angry The best or nothing.

Hello JTK44........Last year we learned the REAL meaning of "Best or Nothing" when our new $70,000.00 E300 windshield had to be replaced due to a tiny pebble hitting it, and causing it to crack. It took Mercedes 2 months to finally come up with the glass. We were not given a loaner car, and under the law, was not able to use our new vehicle. (Nor would we have wanted to, due to the glass safety issue) (It is against the law to drive a vehicle with a broken windshield). Mercedes demonstrated to us that their customer service is a farce that is designed to mitigate any expense to Mercedes....it is not for customer benefit, and quite frankly, not for the benefit of their dealers. Mercedes company fails to understand that it is far less expensive to satisfy an existing customer than to win a new customer. Very basic. Mercedes statement to us was: "We understand your frustration." That was it!

The best or nothing: There is no "best" here. I did notify NHTSA, the Attorney General office, State of Florida, and Consumer Reports.

JTK44, I feel your pain, and the pain for anyone else who has to deal with Mercedes. Good luck in getting your issue resolved in a safe and timely manner. I hope your experience is better than ours was!

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2019, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by JTK44
Just received notice of recall for my 2019 E450:

The recall deals with the seat belt and whether it is securely fastened or not.

Here is the language in the notice that I find fascinating:
"To remedy this issue, as a precautionary measure, an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer, will check the relevant seat belt buckles in the affected vehicles and replace them if necessary. Unfortunately, the parts to remedy this are currently not yet available" (emphasis added)

"We are working to obtain the necessary parts to correct his condition as quickly as possible. As parts become available, we will send you another letter asking you to take your vehicle to an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer to have the recall completed free of charge"
This gives new meaning to the phrase: "THE BEST OR NOTHING!"
Can you just check yourself, whether it is fastened or not? I mean, I understand it is a serious issue but at least the manufacturer knows about it and informs customers unlike other companies.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
It seems fine to me - but I do not know. The instrument panel indicates everything is "OK" but of course that is the problem: if the instrument panel said it is not OK, the seat belt sign being on, I would notice and have it fixed.

On Monday I am going in for my "A" and will have it checked out.

I will try not to be in an accident between now and then.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2019, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by JTK44
It seems fine to me - but I do not know. The instrument panel indicates everything is "OK" but of course that is the problem: if the instrument panel said it is not OK, the seat belt sign being on, I would notice and have it fixed.

On Monday I am going in for my "A" and will have it checked out.

I will try not to be in an accident between now and then.

Merry Christmas!
You'll be fine!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2019, 04:59 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Don't you think it's the electronic indication of whether the seat belt is fastened or not? They've been making the buckles for like, well, a looongg time. I don't imagine there's anything wrong with the catch. I would think it just might be that the reminder that comes on when you drive and the seat belt is not fastened might not turn on. As long as you're sure to buckle up, you should be safe. But for MB, it's a real safety item, so they need to fix them.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Originally Posted by amf77
Hello JTK44........Last year we learned the REAL meaning of "Best or Nothing" when our new $70,000.00 E300 windshield had to be replaced due to a tiny pebble hitting it, and causing it to crack. It took Mercedes 2 months to finally come up with the glass. We were not given a loaner car, and under the law, was not able to use our new vehicle. (Nor would we have wanted to, due to the glass safety issue) (It is against the law to drive a vehicle with a broken windshield). Mercedes demonstrated to us that their customer service is a farce that is designed to mitigate any expense to Mercedes....it is not for customer benefit, and quite frankly, not for the benefit of their dealers. Mercedes company fails to understand that it is far less expensive to satisfy an existing customer than to win a new customer. Very basic. Mercedes statement to us was: "We understand your frustration." That was it!

The best or nothing: There is no "best" here. I did notify NHTSA, the Attorney General office, State of Florida, and Consumer Reports.

JTK44, I feel your pain, and the pain for anyone else who has to deal with Mercedes. Good luck in getting your issue resolved in a safe and timely manner. I hope your experience is better than ours was!

Happy Holidays!
It is hard to believe that you wanted the local dealer to give you a loaner while waiting for repairs to the car you damaged.
Personally, my insurance coverage would pay for a rental during the interim.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 E300
I WAS in an accident related to the seat belt problem. Seat belts were fastened but did not tighten, I was thrown forward and I hit my head on the steering wheel. "Pre-safe" did not function.
Fix not available for months. 2019 E300 is not safe to drive! Response from MB is frustrating and disappointing.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
"securely fastened" and PRE-SAFE malfunction are unrelated issues, aren't they?
Old 12-26-2019, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
The mixing ratio of the propellant for the seat-belt pre-tensioner igniters may be incorrect. In an accident in which the rear seat-belt pre-tensioners were activated, the igniters might not ignite as intended and the pre-tensioners would not provide the restraint performance required. The recall concerns vehicles produced between August 2016 and May 2017.

https://car-recalls.eu/recall/merced...16-2017-3/amp/
Old 12-26-2019, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
The OP's problem seems more like https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...-belt-problem/

correctly latched seat belt may erroneously be identified as unfastened. As a result, audible and visual alerts will activate to notify the driver and passenger that a seat belt is not properly secured. This could also lead to other safety systems not properly functioning in the event of a crash, which could lead to injuries.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
I'm sorry, it seems like your PRE-SAFE issue is the same

Although correctly fastened, the front seat belts may be inaccurately detected as being unfastened, which may cause the electric PRE-SAFE-function and the pretensioner to be deactivated.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/amp/...ue-120219.html
Old 12-26-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
"securely fastened" and PRE-SAFE malfunction are unrelated issues, aren't they?
My understanding is that the seat belt "communicates" that the seat is occupied and Pre-safe only triggers then.