E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2020 E-Class front seat headrest concern

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 E450 Estate (currently negotiating order),2007 Lexus ES 350, 2010 Subaru Outback
2020 E-Class front seat headrest concern

So, I've done my research, went on several test drives, obtained 5 out-the-door quotes for a 2020 E450 Estate Wagon (luxury model) and am almost ready to buy. I want to special order this car. Took my wife for a final test drive today (she didn't want to go until I had settled on the car I wanted to purchase). Being short of stature (4'9") and having severe back issues, I'm very concerned about her safety, thus the choice of the E. Here's the problem ... To move the front passenger seat headrest forward (closer to her head) requires that it also be raised, simultaneously. When I adjusted the headrest for my wife, the result was that only the top 25% of her head was in-line with the bottom 25% of the headrest. From a whiplash mitigation viewpoint, my guess is that this is not optimal. In reading the MB E-Estate Wagon owner's manual, it states "Persons under 5 ft (1.50 m) tall cannot wear the seat belt correctly without a suitable additional restraint system" (page 35). From our test drive, my wife's seat belt fit was not an issue, but the head restraint was. If I keep the headrest at its lowest position, it's too far from the back of her head, IMO, to optimize whiplash protection. From what I can see, the only way my wife's head height can be properly aligned with the headrest, and have the headrest close to the back of her head, would be for her to use a seat cushion This negates the ability to utilize the seat's comfort functions and would make a silk purse into a sow's ear, IMO.

For those who may have actually encountered this headrest issue, how did you deal with it? I ask that, please, only those who have had this actual experience consider responding.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2020, 08:47 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Our 2020 E450 Estate is a week and a half old now, and my 5'-0" wife has to have the head rest in the lowest position. We don't have the added adjustment available with the massage seats (don't know if you have), but with the headrest all the way down, it does pull pretty far forward, and I think she's quite safe in that position. Admittedly, the headrest tilts forward, and her head is well below the top, forward-most position, but it's close to her head. Maybe not enough to always be in contact, which I like, but certainly close to it. Of course, that would probably require moving the headrest back for me to sit in a seat adjusted for her, and that's a manual adjustment on our car. But she won't be driving the E much, having just gotten her own new car. Don't know if this helps, but it is a little more information for you.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:20 PM

2020 E450 Estate (currently negotiating order),2007 Lexus ES 350, 2010 Subaru Outback
Thanks, RRAISLEY. My saleman said that some of his "height challenged" customers affix a pillow to the front of the headrest, while in its lowest position (the Maybach actually comes standard with extra headrest cushions). He gave me some links, which I'll check out in the next day or two. I'll post these links in this thread, once I've had a chance to review them myself. I'll only include links that are a quality product representative of the E, if any are found, in-case anyone else needs to address this topic.

Not sure why MB used this headrest design. I test drove a Gensis G90 a while ago. From what I recall, its headrest did a better job of independently moving forward versus moving up and down.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by maggs01
Not sure why MB used this headrest design. I test drove a Gensis G90 a while ago. From what I recall, its headrest did a better job of independently moving forward versus moving up and down.
Yeah, but then the Genesis gives you free service for 3 years and picks up your car at home or work. There are trade-offs, you know. lol!
Old 01-14-2020, 08:10 PM

Rraisley. I called a custom interior shop today. They said they could create a pad, applied to the front of the headrest, that could position the headrest forward another 2-to-3 inches (my call), while the headrest is in the full down position. They would construct it in the same leather/color as the E's seat. IF I decide to buy the E, I would probably opt to go this route, to keep the car looking as much a "factory" look as possible. This being said, I really hate the thought of having to do this. This headrest issue, coupled with MB's sole use of RFT's (NO option for non-RFTs and NO spare tire #@#$!@#?), no free 3 year maintenance (like other luxury brands), and a huge cost-to-purchase variance with the only other full-size wagon sold in the US (Volvo V90) makes it harder and harder for me to buy the E. An awful lot of compromises to make just to purchase a car. With this said, I LOVED my test drive. For me, the seat comfort and tech features were amazing, and the engine just purred along at 1500 RPM while doing 65 MPH, making it hard for me NOT to buy it. Somewhere in Germany, I get the feeling there's some Benz people in a room laughing at me, and everyone else.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the info, maggs01. I mentioned I'd moved the headrest forward a bit for my wife, and we tried it today: it fits and supports her head well, so we have no need for added padding. Moving the headrest forward 2-3" sounds like an awful lot, but it depends on a lot of factors, most of them the person, and you know best there.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:53 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Get the active contour seats. As part of this, the headrests become upgraded and are more adjustable. They are also more heavily padded. I have extra space between my skull and brain, so I'm much more prone to brain damage in an accident than most people, so this was of great concern to me.

Here's the 'face' of the upgraded headrests. The front of the headrest consists of 3 pads, with the outer two being adjustable.

Fully extended forward:

Fully retracted backwards with the side-pads pushed forward:

Keep in mind that in case of an accident, these headrests automatically push out even further than this.

@rraisley : My MB dealer also does pick-up and drop-off at my home/office as well.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBunny
@rraisley : My MB dealer also does pick-up and drop-off at my home/office as well.
Thanks. But I went to an out-of-state dealer to get a better deal, which is about 1.75 hours away. The manager though, actually lives nearby, and would take the car in for me if desired.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:41 PM

Thanks, BeachBunny. If I buy the E450, I'll definitely get the contour seats you mentioned. My Benz dealer just relented and agree to give me a car next week for 24 hours so that I can conduct a proper test drive. This will give me sufficient time to thoroughly assess this vehicle, based on my wife's and my needs. I'll post the results of my review soon after I complete this test drive.