E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Multibeam headlight updated ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 05:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E300, P3, Sport, Driver's Assist, HUD, Multibeam, Multicontour, Pano. Black on Black
Smile Multibeam headlight updated ?

I just had my 2017 P3 E300 COMAND updated this past weekend by the dealer. I detailed some of the changes I noticed in the software update thread, which relate to the COMAND/Media screen and the buttons.

One thing I didn't expect is that my headlights seem to be updated as well. I immediately noticed it on the way home from the dealer. The multibeam lights seem to be really working now. Before, they were bright but I wouldn't see any beams dancing or adjusting beam pattern while driving. It was rare and for the most part seemed like a gimmick to me. They pretty much didn't do anything so I thought it was just good marketing.

Now, after the dealer update - they are noticeably brighter than before during normal driving, but at a lower level on the horizon. They are bright, but not up where they would blind the driver in front. Now I can actually see patterns and shifting as the car (camera and radar?) detect objects in front and on the sides. When there are cars on the sides of me (in front), the beams dim down and shift direction away from those drivers. I can see it change, and it's way different than before. Likewise, when I go in to an empty lane I can see the patterns open up and get wider until another car comes alongside me from behind or the front. Also when turning, now I can see the headlights turn as well (even though there are no moving parts in the assembly). Before I would see a few bulbs turn on, but now - they are fully adapting. To be clear, I have been driving this car for over a year and understand it's old behavior well. Definitely changed after the COMAND update....

For example, when I exited the freeway at speed the other night the off-ramp was empty and pretty dark.... As I approached it and was slowing down the headlights widened the pattern and lit up the sides of the exit at approx 50mph. I have never seen this before (unless parking), but was amazing since the sides were rather dark. Note, I don't mean the high-beams automatically came on... It was just a really wide beam pattern on the sides which narrowed down when I finally stopped.

Needless to say I'm impressed with the changes - so wanted to let you others know about it as well.

Last edited by sardarji; 01-24-2020 at 05:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sardarji:
elnos (01-27-2020), forecastdude (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W213
I think that prior your update the multi beam were malfunctioned - because mines already working as you describe it now and I see no big changes after my update from 0.59 to 4.80 - however, the only changed on mines is that they are now a little bit higher than before.