E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Welcome Lighting - Works How?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 06:38 PM

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts
2019 E 450 4 Matic T-model, 2014 Jag F-Type vert, 2004 Volvo V70R
My 2¢. The lighting system is fine my me. I am embarrassed by the puddle lights. I know I bought a MB, I don't need to be reminded or reassured or to have others gawk at the ostentatious display. At least it doesn't project the MSRP. I am not that insecure. However, my 2004 Volvo (16 years old) has fobs that reset the seats. I have my keys and she has her keys. I open the car and the driver seat adjusts for me automatically. Maybe this is just a manifestation of German versus Scandinavian culture.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
E300
Originally Posted by whoover
My sister's Lexus had that. Once, my brother-in-law locked his 95-year old father in the back seat. When the old man finally decided to join us in Home Depot, he couldn't get out. It was a hot day. We're making our purchases when they page his license number: "You have a very panicked man in a hot car and someone has called the fire department."

Not sure I like that feature.
wow, sorry to hear about that. Scary situation!
Old 01-31-2020, 07:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
E300
Originally Posted by rraisley
I thought the E had that feature. Mine was locked in the garage, when I never locked it, several times. I went into Vehicle Settings, and turned Automatic Door Locks Off, and it's not happened since. Coincidence? I don't know.
I think if the car is locked already, and then unlocked with the key fob, it will automatically lock itself again after several seconds or a couple minutes. A safety feature in case you accidentally pressed the button in your pocket or something.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Cerave
I think if the car is locked already, and then unlocked with the key fob, it will automatically lock itself again after several seconds or a couple minutes. A safety feature in case you accidentally pressed the button in your pocket or something.
Yes, mine does that.
The following users liked this post:
Cerave (01-31-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 09:51 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Originally Posted by Cerave
Most all cars do that. My 2012 VW did that.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hundens
My 2¢. The lighting system is fine my me. I am embarrassed by the puddle lights. I know I bought a MB, I don't need to be reminded or reassured or to have others gawk at the ostentatious display. At least it doesn't project the MSRP. I am not that insecure. However, my 2004 Volvo (16 years old) has fobs that reset the seats. I have my keys and she has her keys. I open the car and the driver seat adjusts for me automatically. Maybe this is just a manifestation of German versus Scandinavian culture.
No, you're embarrassed by LED Logo Projectors located under the doors (and only lighted or visible once the doors are open), as would I be. The puddle lights are the lights under the mirrors, without any ostentatious display, but rather just placing light down outside the car and in front of the doors, before they're opened. So you don't step into, guess what, a puddle. Yes, they come on once you're unlocked the doors, but that would mean my wife would have to scrounge through her purse to find and actuate the key. That's the whole idea of such a key, that you don't have to get it out to use the features of the car. Which my Toyota and Acura did an excellent job of doing, but which the E-Class does not.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
No, you're embarrassed by LED Logo Projectors located under the doors (and only lighted or visible once the doors are open), as would I be. The puddle lights are the lights under the mirrors, without any ostentatious display, but rather just placing light down outside the car and in front of the doors, before they're opened. So you don't step into, guess what, a puddle. Yes, they come on once you're unlocked the doors, but that would mean my wife would have to scrounge through her purse to find and actuate the key. That's the whole idea of such a key, that you don't have to get it out to use the features of the car. Which my Toyota and Acura did an excellent job of doing, but which the E-Class does not.
Got the car washed tonight and it was starting to get dark. The guy was writing up the ticket and used the puddle light to see what he was doing. "Very cool place to put a light." I just smiled and thought of this thread.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
Got the car washed tonight and it was starting to get dark. The guy was writing up the ticket and used the puddle light to see what he was doing. "Very cool place to put a light." I just smiled and thought of this thread.
Interesting. How did you turn it on? I (now) know it comes on when the car is unlocked, as do inside lights, but then they turn off after a bit.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Interesting. How did you turn it on? I (now) know it comes on when the car is unlocked, as do inside lights, but then they turn off after a bit.
When I pulled up to his station, I turned off the engine. That turns them on.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 628 Posts
Yes, they come on once you're unlocked the doors, but that would mean my wife would have to scrounge through her purse to find and actuate the key. That's the whole idea of such a key, that you don't have to get it out to use the features of the car. Which my Toyota and Acura did an excellent job of doing, but which the E-Class does not.
One only needs to touch the door handle to unlock the car. The key can remain in your wife's purse.

After more than 2 years of E300 ownership, I've never had a situation where I needed to physically use the key. It stays in my pocket.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ua549
One only needs to touch the door handle to unlock the car. The key can remain in your wife's purse.
Again, by the time you touch the door handle, you're standing in the puddle that the puddle light is supposed to show you. Meaning by that time, it's worthless. That's why other cars I've had illuminate it as you're walking up to it.
The following users liked this post:
ram0201 (12-08-2021)
Old 02-02-2020, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 628 Posts
I typically unlock the car by touching the rear door handle from about 3' away. I've yet to step in a puddle that could be avoided by a puddle light.