E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

How "poor" (or good) are the standard headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 03:45 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
How "poor" (or good) are the standard headlights?

I have the multibeam "intelligent lights" on my current vehicle and am very happy with them. But I'm wondering if I would miss them if I opted for the standard headlamps on my next vehicle. I plan to visit a dealer to see if I can observe the difference firsthand, but does anybody regret not getting the upgraded lights or feel like the standard headlamps are inadequate? I understand that they both use LED technology, but is anybody unhappy with their standard headlamps? Here is how IIHS rated both styles, and they give the standard lamps mixed reviews, but I'm not sure how this translates to "real life" performance:

Multibeam performance (main lens inboard):

Standard performance (main lens outboard):

Last edited by gearFX; 02-04-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 807 Likes on 639 Posts
If you do a lot of night driving especially in rural areas without lighting, stick with the upgraded lights. That extra 80 feet of illumination gives you an extra second of visibility when driving at 55 mph (80 fps). Even in urban areas there are numerous pitch black roadways where the extra lighting will be beneficial.
The following users liked this post:
gearFX (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 4Matic Q3 Pkg.
Disappointed in multi beam headlights

I can’t answer how good or bad the std led’s are but my 2017 E300 Q3 equipped is a disappointment. Love that my dealer finally got cornering lights to work (Euro delivery Aug 2016) but understand the multi beams are crippled in the US except for auto high beam. Two dealers can not get
my headlights to even respond to steering wheel movement and say they operate per US specs. They are very bright and love that.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:36 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Originally Posted by forecastdude
I can’t answer how good or bad the std led’s are but my 2017 E300 Q3 equipped is a disappointment. Love that my dealer finally got cornering lights to work (Euro delivery Aug 2016) but understand the multi beams are crippled in the US except for auto high beam.
In what way are they crippled? They steer into curves, provide side lighting, provide long distance at speed with high beams without blinding other drivers, have a great startup sequence that is fun to watch, and watching them come on high beams (they stay on low at lower speeds) looks like the car's going into light speed. Can't think of anything I'd need more.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 226 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
i went from intelligent on my w212 to standard on my w213.
what i missed most was the automatic switching from beam to normal, but nothing i could not live with…
as for vision, sure intelligent is a bit better, but it's not liek i don't see anything with standard ;-)
Old 02-04-2020, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 4Matic Q3 Pkg.
Not fully functional by design in US.

Originally Posted by rraisley
In what way are they crippled? They steer into curves, provide side lighting, provide long distance at speed with high beams without blinding other drivers, have a great startup sequence that is fun to watch, and watching them come on high beams (they stay on low at lower speeds) looks like the car's going into light speed. Can't think of anything I'd need more.

In the US the 84 individual LED’s don’t turn on and off as a vehicle approaches to avoid blinding the driver nor do I have active curve illumination. Yes auto high beam and the dance of light when turned on along with cornering lights work. Lights are very bright but our DOT won’t allow functionality like the EU has.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W213
In the US the 84 individual LED’s don’t turn on and off as a vehicle approaches to avoid blinding the driver nor do I have active curve illumination. Yes auto high beam and the dance of light when turned on along with cornering lights work. Lights are very bright but our DOT won’t allow functionality like the EU has.

that’s interesting, I didn’t know that. Not the using 84 Led technique would mean to loose its core functionality.
I am from the EU, and from what I can tell you from my experience, that once you get the multi beam you never want to miss it again. Besides the auto-brake function it’s the second best feature of the car.
And MB is currently delivering the best lights system.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:59 PM

Maybe yours don't do this, but mine do. At speed, the lights stay on high beam, but dim only areas where traffic is located, very clearly illuminating areas far away, yet no one has ever flashed their lights indicating being blinded. And they definitely "turn" with the car, I've confirmed it. This is on my 2020 E450 Wagon. Others have confirmed this operation on earlier W213s and posted it here.
The following users liked this post:
CarFan1 (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 03:36 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
Maybe yours don't do this, but mine do. At speed, the lights stay on high beam, but dim only areas where traffic is located, very clearly illuminating areas far away, yet no one has ever flashed their lights indicating being blinded. And they definitely "turn" with the car, I've confirmed it. This is on my 2020 E450 Wagon. Others have confirmed this operation on earlier W213s and posted it here.
I think you two may be talking past each other. The U.S. market vehicles supposedly have the "neutered" (dumbed-down) version of the fully-featured multibeam headlights that other markets (like EU) get. I don't understand the U.S. DOT laws, but while we can have automatic high beam assist, and side illumination when turning, DOT apparently doesn't allow the moving/dynamic "pin-hole" effect that will illuminate everything around other vehicles while using a dark (dimmed/unlit) space to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.

See this video for more about what the U.S. cars is "missing" (in particular the segment that begins at 01:28):

Now that I have hi-jacked my own thread, let's focus on the non-multibeam (standard LED) headlamps.
Attached Thumbnails How "poor" (or good) are the standard headlights?-maxresdefault.jpg  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 E450 4 matic
GearFX is correct. If you indeed have a fully functioning adaptive headlight in the U.S.A., then you are the lucky recipient of a non-DOT approved headlight system. The DOT has been considering these headlight systems for over two years now, but they still have not approved them. Dealerships will be inundated when they do.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E300, P3, Sport, Driver's Assist, HUD, Multibeam, Multicontour, Pano. Black on Black
I have the same performance now as noted above after I had my COMAND system updated. Before my multi-beam lights didn't do much (auto high-beams only). I mentioned in another thread, that my headlights are now illuminating sides of darker roads, getting brighter while on highways (not the high-beams) and now turn with the steering wheel. It's real obvious now and they perform way different than previously for sure. On top of it all, they are very bright in normal driving conditions and have a new horizon/cut-off in a different position. Like getting a new set of technology!
The following 2 users liked this post by sardarji:
chillysyrup (02-04-2020), rraisley (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:31 PM

As sardarji says, I also have this operation. On interstates at higher speed, the high beams are on, illuminating far ahead at the road, and at the sides of the road. When a car approaches me facing me, I see very little difference if any, except the oncoming driver never flashes his lights, so they aren't that bright pointed at him. It's hard to tell that they're dimmed there, because I'm looking at his oncoming headlights, but it must be and feel that it is. If I then move the selector back to low beam, there is a huge change, with the long distance lighting being gone. I will say that with bright lights on, I don't see much if any dimming on road signs, so that feature may not be working. But I feel the others are, and I'm extremely happy to have paid the $800 for the upgraded lights. My old 2012 VW GTI had steering lights, and I feel this car steers around sharper angles than the GTI did.

Last edited by rraisley; 02-04-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E300, P3, Sport, Driver's Assist, HUD, Multibeam, Multicontour, Pano. Black on Black
By the way, I wanted to mention here that I can see the bulbs turning on and off for the turning function and/or the side illumination on the dark roads. When I am on the street near home, there is a house right in front of a short straight street, before I turn. When I get on that street - the sides illuminate very well on both sides (not cornering lights) and when I make the left turn to come home, the headlights shine on the garage door of that house... I can actually see the lights turning off or dimming in sequence to illuminate the left turn area. Its actually really cool to see... Literally rectangular shaped pixels of light on the garage door.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:47 PM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
As sardarji says, I also have this operation. On interstates at higher speed, the high beams are on, illuminating far ahead at the road, and at the sides of the road. When a car approaches me facing me, I see very little difference if any, except the oncoming driver never flashes his light....
Is this full-LED functionality the result of a COMAND software update? If so, what COMAND version do you have now?. Also, if this is a COMAND update, the original USA version of intelligent lighting shows an A (indicating auto-dimming mode) and either a green or blue icon of a head lamp on your dash to indicate whether your low or high beams were on. What does it show after updating?

Old 02-06-2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cao Black
Is this full-LED functionality the result of a COMAND software update? If so, what COMAND version do you have now?. Also, if this is a COMAND update, the original USA version of intelligent lighting shows an A (indicating auto-dimming mode) and either a green or blue icon of a head lamp on your dash to indicate whether your low or high beams were on. What does it show after updating?
Mine wagon is a 2020 E450, picked on January 2, 2020. Not sure what version it has.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 807 Likes on 639 Posts
Mine wagon is a 2020 E450, picked on January 2, 2020. Not sure what version it has.
Software versions are shown on the Dealer menu.