E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Exhaust flap actuator draining battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W213, W222
Exhaust flap actuator draining battery

Hey guys, please I have a little weird problem... weird bcs I was working in company where we had 20x w213 and I knew already almost all common faults and errors but this is new... anoher thing is that when i google this issue i can find only AMG sections and no one have exactly the same problem as me.

the car is w213 220d 143kw 2017 (Germany)

Everything was fine till few days ago when i parked the car in garage and i heard that something is still working... so i locked the car waited 15 min but the sound was still there so i jacked the car and found out that the sound goes from the actuator on exhaust flap.

only way how to turn it off was to disconnect the battery... after i connected the battery back actuator was silent. but right after i pushed the start button or started the engine and than turned off the car again... the actuator was again in always on mode...

after this i took off the actuator form the flap... and tried to start and stop the car to see what will happen, the actuator was quiet... only thing what i am afraid of... when the actuator was just hanging there on the cable not attached to the exhaust after i turned the igniton on the motor did some check (turned from the default position to the end position and back) but the problem is that the motor did this just 2 times from ca. 20 ignition on... rest 18 times the actuator motor was just "shaking" and vibrating for a second. this vibrating was exactly the same as when it was stuck "always on"

I am really lost already bcs i dont know if i should buy new actuator or there is some other problem bcs this one looks good and working...

the flap is working its not stuck, i can turn it .. not with fingers but with a little help of screwdriver i can turn it between end positions so i thinks the flap alone is fine

if you have any idea i will be really happy :/

at least if someone have the service manual where is how to assembly (disassembly) this actuator to the flap please send me a pdf bcs there was a little spring between the flap and actuator and i want check if the position of the spring was right.

thank you in advance and sorry for my english 👍