E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Your run-flat tyre choice for 20 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
E350d
Your run-flat tyre choice for 20 inch wheels

I'm about half way through the Goodyear Eagle F1 MOE that came with the car: the ride experience is absolutely abysmal.

I'm considering two options: either switching to other brands when these expire or trying to find a dealer willing to swap out the 20 inch wheels on mine. To me run-flat is a must because in the off-chance that I get a flat or puncture on my way to work, I won't have the time to stop and change or patch the tyre. (sidenote: I would be on the more sensible 19s if mercedes actually bothered to make the car I custom ordered or informed me of the **** up before the delivery date. )

What is your experience with your run-flat on 20 inch wheels, especially in terms of ride comfort and refinement (filtering out road imperfections, noise suppression etc)? I'm seriously considering pirelli p-zero which I understand is also available as MOE. Any comment is most appreciated.

Cheers
Additional info: I believe all 20 inch wheels on non-63 w213 are the same sizes, but just fyi mine are 245/35r20 and 275/30r20.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
I had three of the four GoodYear RFT's replaced about six weeks ago with about 14,000 miles on my 2019 CLS 450. My replacement tires were like in kind. The ride is a bit rough but i do not mind and I keep the tire pressure at 35psi cold. One good experience was that I was able to ride about 50 miles with a flat from my home to my dealership without any problems or damage to the right front rim. Once the car was placed on the lift, it was determined that the other two tires were compromised with sidewall damage. That is one reason why i kept the RFT's - the ability to ride the car without worrying about not making it home or a dealership here in South Florida.
The following users liked this post:
evd22 (07-01-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:24 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
Hey there, my E43 had the 20" Pirelli P-Zero MOE tires from the factory. The ride was horrible. It is mind boggling that Benz would release a car/wheel combo that has such a high MSRP and rides so terrible. I absolutely hated them and like you considered some way to downgrade to 19" wheels - especially after bending a couple of the 20s and dropping thousands of US$ on replacement wheels and tires. The ride was so bad, I started looking for a way to get out of the lease.

I ended up taking a risk and switching to Michelin (non-RFT) Pilot A/S tires and it made a 15-20% improvement in ride quality. I have Benz roadside assistance and AAA (like ADAC in the US) and took the risk to try and get the crappy 20" ride quality better (that is how bad it was). The car is now on the bleeding edge of "barely tolerable". I still have weird vibrations and strange harmonics at highways speeds but I don't get out of the car pissed off as much anymore...

I cant give you a comparison between the 20" P-Zero MOE and the Goodyear, because I only has the Pirelli but in my opinion it was very bad.

I feel like you are going to filter out any replies from those with non-20" wheels because they are on a different planet as far as ride quality. I would have given my eye teeth in the beginning for 19" wheels WITH RFT's.
evd22 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 01:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
c207 e200 CGI
On my w213 I love the Pirelli’s P zero 20” RF MO I can feel even the different tarmac textures. Mine is lowered with Bilstein b8 and H&R springs.
I guess it depends what you’re looking for. I like them hard and direct. Not bouncy and cloudy.
evd22 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 02:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
E350d
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Hey there, my E43 had the 20" Pirelli P-Zero MOE tires from the factory. The ride was horrible. It is mind boggling that Benz would release a car/wheel combo that has such a high MSRP and rides so terrible. I absolutely hated them and like you considered some way to downgrade to 19" wheels - especially after bending a couple of the 20s and dropping thousands of US$ on replacement wheels and tires. The ride was so bad, I started looking for a way to get out of the lease.

I ended up taking a risk and switching to Michelin (non-RFT) Pilot A/S tires and it made a 15-20% improvement in ride quality. I have Benz roadside assistance and AAA (like ADAC in the US) and took the risk to try and get the crappy 20" ride quality better (that is how bad it was). The car is now on the bleeding edge of "barely tolerable". I still have weird vibrations and strange harmonics at highways speeds but I don't get out of the car pissed off as much anymore...

I cant give you a comparison between the 20" P-Zero MOE and the Goodyear, because I only has the Pirelli but in my opinion it was very bad.

I feel like you are going to filter out any replies from those with non-20" wheels because they are on a different planet as far as ride quality. I would have given my eye teeth in the beginning for 19" wheels WITH RFT's.
I always thought that AMGs only ship with non run flat performance tyres.

I've had a tyre giving up the ghost after one small bump so I've always been paranoid with avoiding any sort of hazards on the road. If I end up bending a rim I would definitely go ahead and swap out all of them. Had a ride in a w213 with 18s and regular suspensions, it actually felt like a proper luxury car.

But thank you very much for your input: it's good to know that the p-zero moe has poor ride quality as well. I'm not looking for much, so long as the car rides better than a bloody camry uber.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:24 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo

Right, so i believe a lot of the horrible ride quality that you are referring to is due to the E43's AMG suspension. The 19's or 18's would probably help out but probably only x% like the non-rfts did for you.
I have driven a few of the lighter AMGs -C43, GLC43, CLA35, and their suspension is definitely nearly hard to tolerate as a daily driver, i guess the stiff suspension maybe be beneficial at a track when racing around only. But outside of that I don't know how people can stand to drive the car even for one day. Doesn't it drive like the wheels are square instead of a circle and made out of cement? lol

Old 07-04-2020, 10:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
Doesn't it drive like the wheels are square instead of a circle and made out of cement? lol
Heh!
LOL
that is a great description!

Old 07-04-2020, 01:51 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
I test drove a new 18 E43 sedan with 20's back on 2018 and returned the car back to the dealer after 5 minutes of driving. Worse MB driving experience. The salesman agreed with me privately.