E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Car Randomly Makes Loud Grinding Noise & Lurches When Reversing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300
Car Randomly Makes Loud Grinding Noise & Lurches When Reversing?

Hey guys I purchased my 2017 E300 a lil while back and have been loving mainly everything about it so far. One issue I’m having is that when reversing out of my driveway sometimes my car will randomly make a loud clunk noise and the vehicle lurches/stops abruptly. Kind of hard to explain but it legit feels like someone slammed into the back of my car as it randomly stops and makes a loud grinding noise. I always have to be extra cautious when backing out because I’m afraid it will happen again. Occurs maybe every 1/15 times when trying to pull out. I have to put the car into drive then quickly go back into reverse and it seems to go back to normal. Has anyone had a similar issue before and can give me some advice? I believe it may be attributed to the eco start/stop but would like to hear out other opinions. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2020, 10:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
If it’s what I think it is, then the noise and lurching is prob from the e-brake/parking brake sticking to the brake pads. When you put the car in park, it automatically engages the e-brake. When it’s parked for a while, the brake rotors will start rusting & kinda bond the e-brake pads to the rotor. The sound & lurch is from the brake pads breaking from the rotor. At least that’s what happens to my car.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
E300 4matic
Originally Posted by denjermen
If it’s what I think it is, then the noise and lurching is prob from the e-brake/parking brake sticking to the brake pads. When you put the car in park, it automatically engages the e-brake. When it’s parked for a while, the brake rotors will start rusting & kinda bond the e-brake pads to the rotor. The sound & lurch is from the brake pads breaking from the rotor. At least that’s what happens to my car.
I believe that is what is going on with mine every morning. If I depress the brake firmly to put it in reverse, the car seems like it is in "hold" mode. I have to tap the gas and then it releases, like the brakes were sticking. Makes a bit of a noise but never seems to happen outside of the first time in the morning.
Is this normal wear? Easily fixable or just have to deal with it? Im under warranty.

sorry for upping an old thread but just noticed this issue.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by sabre3
I believe that is what is going on with mine every morning. If I depress the brake firmly to put it in reverse, the car seems like it is in "hold" mode. I have to tap the gas and then it releases, like the brakes were sticking. Makes a bit of a noise but never seems to happen outside of the first time in the morning.
Is this normal wear? Easily fixable or just have to deal with it? Im under warranty.

sorry for upping an old thread but just noticed this issue.
I had that happen with my new car, just once. Can't recall now if it was after the car sat for awhile after going through a car wash, or arriving back in town after driving salted roads in the mountains. I was a heck of noise.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:11 PM

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ryan Shi
Hey guys I purchased my 2017 E300 a lil while back and have been loving mainly everything about it so far. One issue I’m having is that when reversing out of my driveway sometimes my car will randomly make a loud clunk noise and the vehicle lurches/stops abruptly. Kind of hard to explain but it legit feels like someone slammed into the back of my car as it randomly stops and makes a loud grinding noise. I always have to be extra cautious when backing out because I’m afraid it will happen again. Occurs maybe every 1/15 times when trying to pull out. I have to put the car into drive then quickly go back into reverse and it seems to go back to normal. Has anyone had a similar issue before and can give me some advice? I believe it may be attributed to the eco start/stop but would like to hear out other opinions. Thanks!
Happens with my car if the car is parked in the garage for a day or two after it's been through the car wash or when it's been driven in the rain. As others have suggested, it seems as though the parking brake gets stuck to the brake discs when this happens. Because the car is parked in my narrow garage when this happens, and as I have to turn wheels quite sharply to back out of the garage, I have to be very careful — I keep my left foot over the brake to keep the car from hitting the side of my garage as I tweak the accelerator a bit with my right foot to get up enough power to free the locked-up brakes.