Car constantly vibrating and shuddering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 W213
Angry Car constantly vibrating and shuddering

Hi all,

I am having problems with my E Class W213 2016 which i've only recently bought from the dealership 3 months ago.

Vibration and Shuddering
I get this Vibration noises and shuddering when im driving, the steering wheel vibrates and gives me that tingling sensation.

Sound
The noises i am getting is like the noise you get when you drive over the Motorway Lane Strips, (The strips between the lanes).

This usually happens on the motorway, but i can also hear it above 30mph, but as my speed goes up, the sounds and vibration is more obvious. But please, do not be confused with the vibration, the steering wheel is NOT shaking, rather it is vibrating/tingling, there is that sort of sensation when you hold it.

What i noticed is, when i play about with the steering wheel on the motorway, turning the steering wheel right and left just to see if the noises are increasing, the noise level won't increase but you could hear it occuring more then driving straight.

My research is pointing me towards the direction of the below listed possible areas:
- Torque Converter
- CV Axles
- Wheel Bearings
- Ball Joint

Has anyone experienced this before? or any suggestions?

I would also like to mention, I have driven 3 loaner cars which has given me the opportunity to cross-check them againsts my car.

Car 1: C Class 200d 2019 - The vibration/tingling sensation on the steering wheel was also present on this car, and i could hear the overall vibration and shuddering on the motorway. However, the severity of the noises were less as supposed to my 2016 car.
Car 2: E Class E220d 2019 - Same as above, this car was experiencing the exact same issues at a less severity.
Car 3: A class A200 Petrol 2019, this car had absolutely no issues.

I am so confused, i mean, i am almost thinking this issue is normal? But it really can't be, i just assumed there was manafacuturer problems with the 2 loaner cars i've been driving.

I will take my car to a Merc speciliaist who i hope will diagnose it and then i could take it to the Merc Dealership to actually fix it under my 1 year warranty. This is because Merc has had a look at it 3x times and still have had no success.....

Last edited by volkan250; 09-30-2020 at 04:25 AM. Reason: typo + further research
Old 09-29-2020, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 226 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
my w213 has an overall vibration most noticeable at speeds over 120km, but nothing in the steering wheel

it was though to have come from the warped brake discs (a reoccurring problem without fix) but this is not the case

there are others that have mentioned similar problems, but there is no fix it seems.

it's one of those vibrations that some people are sensitive too and others don't notice anything .
my wife for instance does not understand what i'm talking about and i think even the dealer seemed to find me a bit too "****"

Old 09-29-2020, 10:36 AM

E220 W213
In my opinion I think at speeds of 120km, vibration is normal. You have also mentioned you don't have steering wheel vibrations, so thats perfect.

I have steering wheel vibrations and noises.

The sounds are like going over the Rumble Strips (Sleeper Lines) on the motorway.

I mean, i can't imagine it being normal, it is so irritating. I never even had this on my old 2007 E320d, its crazy to have it on the 2016 E220d.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:37 AM

E220 W213
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
my w213 has an overall vibration most noticeable at speeds over 120km, but nothing in the steering wheel

it was though to have come from the warped brake discs (a reoccurring problem without fix) but this is not the case

there are others that have mentioned similar problems, but there is no fix it seems.

it's one of those vibrations that some people are sensitive too and others don't notice anything .
my wife for instance does not understand what i'm talking about and i think even the dealer seemed to find me a bit too "****"

In my opinion I think at speeds of 120km, vibration is normal. You have also mentioned you don't have steering wheel vibrations, so thats perfect.

The sounds are like going over the Rumble Strips (Sleeper Lines) on the motorway.

I mean, i can't imagine it being normal, it is so irritating. I never even had this on my old 2007 E320d, its crazy to have it on the 2016 E220d.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 CLS 400d
Originally Posted by volkan250

What tyres do you have?
Old 09-29-2020, 10:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
E200, C250 CGI

That is definitely not normal. I do not have this feeling. The steering wheel has always been solid. Yeh.. Get the dealer to look at it.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport

Stupid question I guess, maybe not...

Is your car equipped with Lane Keeping assist? The normal feedback through the steering wheel going over lane lines mimics the rumble strip shaking you describe.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I

ah yes, this i definitely do not have . that's very weird...
Old 09-29-2020, 11:51 AM

E220 W213
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Stupid question I guess, maybe not...

Is your car equipped with Lane Keeping assist? The normal feedback through the steering wheel going over lane lines mimics the rumble strip shaking you describe.
Hi,

No i don't have the Lane Keeping Assist.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:53 AM

E220 W213
Originally Posted by SunnyE53
What tyres do you have?
Piereli
275/35 R19
Run Flat, Extra Load

Balancing was carried out on all 4 wheels.

Not sure if Wheel allignment is necessary.

But i have the feeling of taking it to a Merc speciliaist first, get it diagnosed and then take it to MB Dealer. I know it sounds silly to spend money for diagnosis, but its been 3x times now MB Dealer cant find the issue.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:22 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
Hi all,

I am having problems with my E Class W213 2016 which i've only recently bought from the dealership 3 months ago.

Vibration and Shuddering
I get this Vibration noises and shuddering when im driving, the steering wheel vibrates and gives me that tingling sensation.

Sound
The noises i am getting is like the noise you get when you drive over the Rumble Strips (Sleeper Lines, Sleeper Alerts) on the motorway.

This usually happens on the motorway, but i can also hear it above 30mph, but as my speed goes up, the sounds and vibration is more obvious. But please, do not be confused with the vibration, the steering wheel is NOT shaking, rather it is vibrating/tingling, there is that sort of sensation when you hold it.

What i noticed is, when i play about with the steering wheel on the motorway, turning the steering wheel right and left just to see if the noises are increasing, the noise level won't increase but you could hear it occuring more then driving straight.

My research is pointing me towards the direction of the below listed possible areas:
- Torque Converter
- CV Axles
- Wheel Bearings
- Ball Joint

Has anyone experienced this before? or any suggestions?

I would also like to mention, I have driven 3 loaner cars which has given me the opportunity to cross-check them againsts my car.

Car 1: C Class 200d 2019 - The vibration/tingling sensation on the steering wheel was also present on this car, and i could hear the overall vibration and shuddering on the motorway. However, the severity of the noises were less as supposed to my 2016 car.
Car 2: E Class E220d 2019 - Same as above, this car was experiencing the exact same issues at a less severity.
Car 3: A class A200 Petrol 2019, this car had absolutely no issues.

I am so confused, i mean, i am almost thinking this issue is normal? But it really can't be, i just assumed there was manafacuturer problems with the 2 loaner cars i've been driving.

I will take my car to a Merc speciliaist who i hope will diagnose it and then i could take it to the Merc Dealership to actually fix it under my 1 year warranty. This is because Merc has had a look at it 3x times and still have had no success.....

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...fter-65-a.html

Check this post out. I started it after I got my 2018 E300 3 years ago...

If your wheel is balanced, and do not have bent rims and alignment is good. I doubt it is fixable and its just something you have to live with. Where are you from by the way? It might be the cheap paving of your roads, have they recently repaved your highways? Non run flats will probably help reduce the vibration a bit as well.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:00 PM

E220 W213
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...fter-65-a.html

Check this post out. I started it after I got my 2018 E300 3 years ago...

If your wheel is balanced, and do not have bent rims and alignment is good. I doubt it is fixable and its just something you have to live with. Where are you from by the way? It might be the cheap paving of your roads, have they recently repaved your highways? Non run flats will probably help reduce the vibration a bit as well.
Have u found a solution to your issue?

I live in London, though the roads have been messed up in the past years, it is ok I would say lol.

But I mean, I think its either the torque converter or the axles I'm having issues with.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:26 PM

2021 M550i
Have u found a solution to your issue?

I live in London, though the roads have been messed up in the past years, it is ok I would say lol.

But I mean, I think its either the torque converter or the axles I'm having issues with.

never found the issue. good luck trying to get someone your torque converter or axles warrantied. please let us know on your progress! from what i have witnessed, all of the new MBs are driving like this now. less noticeable on the SUVS because you have much more tire.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:45 PM

E220 W213
never found the issue. good luck trying to get someone your torque converter or axles warrantied. please let us know on your progress! from what i have witnessed, all of the new MBs are driving like this now. less noticeable on the SUVS because you have much more tire.
The car is under 1 year warranty MB warranty, do you suggest it is difficult to get the torque converter or axles changes under the warranty scheme?

They are willing to offer me a replacement E class or my money. I feel like walking away and getting a 3 or 4 series would u believe it..
Old 09-29-2020, 04:49 PM

2021 M550i
The car is under 1 year warranty MB warranty, do you suggest it is difficult to get the torque converter or axles changes under the warranty scheme?

They are willing to offer me a replacement E class or my money. I feel like walking away and getting a 3 or 4 series would u believe it..

I would test drive a bmw first and see if it doesnt do it as well on those same roads. What car were you in before this one?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Well my obvious reaction was motor/transmission mounts, but if the dealer doesn't mention it, maybe not. What's the mileage?
Old 09-30-2020, 04:23 AM

E220 W213
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Well my obvious reaction was motor/transmission mounts, but if the dealer doesn't mention it, maybe not. What's the mileage?
Mileage is 40k now.

I don't think the dealer really understands what the issue issue. I mean i did try to explain to them but with more research it seems to be that i am getting closer to the potential problem areas. TC or CV Axles seems to be my issue.

I get these noises like when your going over the motorway lane strips.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:24 AM

E220 W213
I would test drive a bmw first and see if it doesnt do it as well on those same roads. What car were you in before this one?
I had a 2007 E320d. But it really isnt the roads in my opinion as i drive on a range of different quality and condition asphalt.

I think its just my car, i mean, there are thousands of E Classes, not many seems to have experienced this issue.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:26 AM

2021 M550i
Mileage is 40k now.

I don't think the dealer really understands what the issue issue. I mean i did try to explain to them but with more research it seems to be that i am getting closer to the potential problem areas. TC or CV Axles seems to be my issue.

I get these noises like when your going over the motorway lane strips.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...houghts-8.html

If there are any whining noises as well - check this thread. Might be the differentials. Usually, the hardest part is getting the dealership to accept that there is an issue. Is it very noticeable or is it only noticeable to you and very slight?
Old 09-30-2020, 07:41 AM

E220 W213
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...houghts-8.html

If there are any whining noises as well - check this thread. Might be the differentials. Usually, the hardest part is getting the dealership to accept that there is an issue. Is it very noticeable or is it only noticeable to you and very slight?
That is quite true, it is very difficult to get the dealership to accept there was a fault with the car when you bought it.

The problem here is, you MUST take it on a test drive on the motorway to fully realize and understand the issue. But whenever I leave my car with the dealer, supposedly take the vehicle on a test drive on their own without my presence. Now the issue here is, they could easily lie and say well we can't hear it. I really have to be there with them in the car to witness them hearing the noises.

There is no whinning noise, no knucking, its the pure sound of vibration. I can best describe it as the noise you get when you drive over those Motorway Lane strips, you get that weird vibration and noise.

But my steering wheel does vibrate and tingle alot, it does NOT shake which indicates for balancing, rather, it gives you the tingling sensation. And these noises/vibrations, overall make the car shudder.

Not quite sure if this is assoicated to the issue but, i noticed on a few occassions where, curving the steering wheel right on a right curved road, i heard a squeeking noise. And this straight away gave me the impression of a failing axle?
Old 09-30-2020, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

as mercedes is a rear drive i always thought it was the driveshaft (that's how you call the conenction between engine & rear wheels in english right?)

it seems to be a quite common issue....
Old 09-30-2020, 08:26 AM

2021 M550i
That is quite true, it is very difficult to get the dealership to accept there was a fault with the car when you bought it.

The problem here is, you MUST take it on a test drive on the motorway to fully realize and understand the issue. But whenever I leave my car with the dealer, supposedly take the vehicle on a test drive on their own without my presence. Now the issue here is, they could easily lie and say well we can't hear it. I really have to be there with them in the car to witness them hearing the noises.

There is no whinning noise, no knucking, its the pure sound of vibration. I can best describe it as the noise you get when you drive over those Motorway Lane strips, you get that weird vibration and noise.

But my steering wheel does vibrate and tingle alot, it does NOT shake which indicates for balancing, rather, it gives you the tingling sensation. And these noises/vibrations, overall make the car shudder.

Not quite sure if this is assoicated to the issue but, i noticed on a few occassions where, curving the steering wheel right on a right curved road, i heard a squeeking noise. And this straight away gave me the impression of a failing axle?
Next appointment, setup a drive with the technician or the shop foreman so you can help explain the issues. This is allowed in the USA at least. If not you will just be wasting your time. Even then it might be hard to convince them.
The following users liked this post:
volkan250 (10-02-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 09:17 AM

E220 W213
Next appointment, setup a drive with the technician or the shop foreman so you can help explain the issues. This is allowed in the USA at least. If not you will just be wasting your time. Even then it might be hard to convince them.
Yeah i'm going to do that actually.

The sound and vibration is so obvious im hoping they'll understand.

I mean, their offering me a refund or a replacement E Class...I feel like walking away so bad, but not sure what vehicle to purchase lol.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Yeah i'm going to do that actually.

The sound and vibration is so obvious im hoping they'll understand.

I mean, their offering me a refund or a replacement E Class...I feel like walking away so bad, but not sure what vehicle to purchase lol.
Well another Mercedes of course. Maybe one with more options...
The following users liked this post:
volkan250 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:47 AM

E220 W213
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Well another Mercedes of course. Maybe one with more options...
I have lost hope with mercedes...

Car will go back to MB dealer one more time.

The problem is, they won't enter the car with me to take it on a test drive because of the social distancing measures...its crazy...

They literally got shut down for 2 weeks because one of the staff was tested positive. Now their not doing test drives with anyone in the car.

The problem is, whenever they take the car out on a ride they constantly deny the problems.

I am gonna get a MB indy to come in and show them the problems...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car constantly vibrating and shuddering