E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2018 eclass estate amg discs warping help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2021 | 12:52 PM

E Class Estate 220d AMG line
2018 eclass estate amg discs warping help

Hi all,
Hope you can help me as main Mercedes Garage will not!
I have a 2018 E-Class estate 28,000k on clock with factory AMG body kit, 20" wheels & big brakes.
A month before my warranty ran out I brought it in as the brakes & wheel juddered when braking.
They replaced them under warranty with no issue. Then Covid hit...
I did 3,000 k easy driving on the car around the city over 4 months and the brakes started to judder again along with the steering wheel.
I brought it back to the garage (warranty now over) & they said that I had a buckled wheel & it has caused the brakes to warp & that it was not under warranty that I needed 2 front wheels, discs, pads & bearings at nearly €3k!
This is madness! 3,000k and the brand new discs warp? I brought car to wheel repair & they said 1 wheel had a slight buckle which they fixed & the other fine.

I talked to a garage that works on Mercs and they said that mine was the second car with 20" AMG wheels with the same problem!
There seems to be a problem with refitting the discs & torque issues?

Anybody else in my boots???

Would love some advice as feel that 3000k on new discs failing with easy cruising and light braking is madness...

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2021 | 03:06 PM

MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by Adam-Dublin
Hi all,
Hope you can help me as main Mercedes Garage will not!
I have a 2018 E-Class estate 28,000k on clock with factory AMG body kit, 20" wheels & big brakes.
A month before my warranty ran out I brought it in as the brakes & wheel juddered when braking.
They replaced them under warranty with no issue. Then Covid hit...
I did 3,000 k easy driving on the car around the city over 4 months and the brakes started to judder again along with the steering wheel.
I brought it back to the garage (warranty now over) & they said that I had a buckled wheel & it has caused the brakes to warp & that it was not under warranty that I needed 2 front wheels, discs, pads & bearings at nearly €3k!
This is madness! 3,000k and the brand new discs warp? I brought car to wheel repair & they said 1 wheel had a slight buckle which they fixed & the other fine.

I talked to a garage that works on Mercs and they said that mine was the second car with 20" AMG wheels with the same problem!
There seems to be a problem with refitting the discs & torque issues?

Anybody else in my boots???

Would love some advice as feel that 3000k on new discs failing with easy cruising and light braking is madness...

Thanks!
Sorry to hear that you are having issues. This is a known issue and MB refuses to do anything to rectify the problem. I have a 2017 Luxury model with 17” rims and have had the same issues. I had on aftermarket rims and none run flat tires. I was initially told it was the rims. Replaced the aftermarket rims with OEM. I was then told it was the tires. Purchased new tires from MB to ensure they could not say it was the tires not purchased from them.

The issue confirmed, zI was then told it’s the rotors. They replaced either the front or rear under warranty but charged me over $800 for the out set. The issue is still there but not as bad as it was before. I am disappointed because I plan on keeping the car for awhile.
Old 01-08-2021 | 04:42 PM

2019 E63s
From what I understand, if the lug nuts on the wheels are tightened too much, they will cause the rotors to warp. Make sure you use a torque wrench to install the lug nuts on your wheels. Use the torque specifications listed in your manual.