E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

locking mystery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2021 | 02:25 PM

2017 E300 sport
Unhappy locking mystery?

Hello. I had a strange thing happen to me today. I started my w213 and left the key on the console as I exited. I returned to the vehicle 10 minutes later with the engine still running. The doors were LOCKED. Luckily I had my spare FOB in my pocket, But the FOB would not operate the door locks or trunk release. I had to unlock the door with the hidden key in the key FOB. Does anyone know how or why this happened? Thank You For Your Time. Todd.
Old 01-30-2021 | 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
The car senses when the fob is inside the car (on the console). The car is programmed not to open the lock in this scenario. This is so that an intruder cannot enter your car with you and the key inside.

How the car got locked is another question, because the car is not supposed to lock with the key inside on the console with you outside. Perhaps the lock button was pushed on the fob in your pocket somehow? Do you have keyless go, and somehow touched the door handle outside to lock it? Still should not lock the door, unless the car senses which key (among two) is closest to the door handle.

Does your car have remote start?

Why you leave your car with it running is the ultimate question. Carjackers love cars left running... They love joyrides in an upmarket car even more...

Last edited by DFWdude; 01-30-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2021 | 03:02 PM

2017 E300 sport
Yes. This car has keyless go. Yes. You can remote start with a cell phone only. And that only works if it feels like it. I just can't imagine why the spare remote would not unlock the car. They both work and the batteries are strong.
Old 01-30-2021 | 03:08 PM

2017 E300 sport
Sorry. I didn't see the last part of your reply. I live in rural Maine (boondocks). It was -8 this morning, and the remote start did not want to work. ( the app says it was a problem on the" Mercedes Me" end. This happens quite frequently. I wish the remote start was on the key Fob, like it should be. Thanks Again.
Old 01-30-2021 | 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
I don't have remote start. I asked about remote start, because IIRC one can remote start the car with the doors locked. I thought that the procedure for approaching the car with it locked and already running might help. But since remote start didn't work in this instance, then it may not likely be applicable.

So now, I think I understand how this developed... You started the car manually, then went back inside your home, leaving the fob on the console so the car will continue to run and warm-up. So far, all makes sense.

How it became locked is indeed a mystery, unless by coincidence you locked it without knowing... the fob in your pocket being closer to the door handle than the fob on the console, and you touched the locking square by accident? Then, when you walked inside, the fob on the console takes precedence over the fob in your pocket?

At this point, I don't feel of much help. Someone else chime in here...
Old 01-31-2021 | 09:25 AM

2018 E-300 4matic Sedan
Perhaps as a test, repeat the procedure and purposely lock the doors with the lock button on the second fob. I've had different vehicles mysteriously lock when the fob was in my pocket. I assumed that I somehow pushed the button in my pocket.
Old 01-31-2021 | 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Ya it sure sounds like having the two FOB's near the car confused it. Would have been interesting to see if the app had worked to unlock the locked running car, that way you could have avoided even having to pull the key out of your spare FOB. I had somewhat of a similar thing happen on my E450 Cabrio nearly 2 years ago except with me in the car. I had the keys in the center console which on the cabrio does have a electronic lock and somewhat the car locked with me in it and locked the center console with the keys in it and then the alarm went off.
Old 01-31-2021 | 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Ya it sure sounds like having the two FOB's near the car confused it. Would have been interesting to see if the app had worked to unlock the locked running car, that way you could have avoided even having to pull the key out of your spare FOB. I had somewhat of a similar thing happen on my E450 Cabrio nearly 2 years ago except with me in the car. I had the keys in the center console which on the cabrio does have a electronic lock and somewhat the car locked with me in it and locked the center console with the keys in it and then the alarm went off.
How did you resolve that? The only way that should happen is if the other FOB outside the car was used to lock it. I mean we all drive with the car locked.
Old 01-31-2021 | 08:31 PM

2019 E450 Wagon
I had a similar thing happen to me two weeks ago. The car was in the garage and I received a notice from the Mercedes app that the auxiliary battery was critically low. I decided to lock the car and start it with the app, not realizing that the fob was in the car. This put me in the same boat as you - the car was running and my second fob would not unlock the car. I too used the valet key to get in (the first time I’ve ever found the valet key useful). Before I thought of the valet key, I called Mercedes Me support because I thought something had to be wrong; it made no sense to me that the second fob couldn’t be used to unlock the running car. But, Mercedes support said this was the expected behavior. I don’t recall the exact explanation, but it was something along the lines of the fob on the inside of the car owning control of the running car. It kind of makes sense now but it didn’t at the time.

Last edited by mpelham; 01-31-2021 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-31-2021 | 09:55 PM

W212 E400
Originally Posted by toddster
Hello. I had a strange thing happen to me today. I started my w213 and left the key on the console as I exited. I returned to the vehicle 10 minutes later with the engine still running. The doors were LOCKED. Luckily I had my spare FOB in my pocket, But the FOB would not operate the door locks or trunk release. I had to unlock the door with the hidden key in the key FOB. Does anyone know how or why this happened? Thank You For Your Time. Todd.
You're right, it shouldn't lock the doors if the key is inside and it's running. What if you left the car running to go inside the a store for a second and you didn't have your second key handy?

Give it a try again and leave the second key inside your home. Maybe it's a hiccup.
Old 01-31-2021 | 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I think it does have something to do with some kind of glitch in the app. When this happened to me with me in the car and the alarm going off I was around the side of a restaurant, it was kinda embarrassing. I got Mercedes on the phone and they said that the whole computer must have been shot and that I would need to get a flat bed truck to pickup the car and tow it to the dealer. That was a problem as my keys were inside the center console as was my wallet with my credit cards. I was in a big time jam, plus I was suppose to be home so I panic'd. I have strong hands as I'm a athlete so I grabbed the center console door and tore it off, made me sick as the car was almost new at the time only had 2K miles on it. But it solved the problem. When I hit the door unlock button on the FOB it turned off the alarm and then the car functioned as normal after. I didn't realize the crazy dance the ambient lights do when the alarm goes off, from red to green and flashing like crazy, there I was in the parking lot with the top down and horn beeping and all the ambient lights dancing, it was pretty embarrassing. I felt like Rodney Dangerfield in a bad comedy or something. I Took the car to the dealer the next day and they replaced the door on the center console under warrantee out of goodwill. It was kinda the cars fault as it was not reading the FOB which was inside the glove box. On my Wagon and my S class the center console door does not lock thank god, I guess it's just on the Convertibles and I've since sold that car. Sometimes I think they never should have got away with good old fashioned regular keys.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 01-31-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2021 | 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by YasS
You're right, it shouldn't lock the doors if the key is inside and it's running. What if you left the car running to go inside the a store for a second and you didn't have your second key handy?

Give it a try again and leave the second key inside your home. Maybe it's a hiccup.
You live in New York and you actually think about leaving your car running with the key in it? I’d never do that. Doesn’t sound like the smartest move.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elvisfan0108:
jtjbt20x (02-01-2021), Klimfilt (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021 | 11:04 AM

W212 E400
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
You live in New York and you actually think about leaving your car running with the key in it? I’d never do that. Doesn’t sound like the smartest move.
I don't, but plenty of people do and it doesn't end well.
Old 02-01-2021 | 03:55 PM

2018 E-300 4matic Sedan
What is the motivation for leaving the fob in the car in the first place? I find it convenient leave the fob in my pocket.
Old 02-01-2021 | 07:08 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 02-02-2021 | 09:33 AM

2017 E300 sport
I thank you all for your input and advice. It sounds like it isn't a problem with just my E300. I will try to replicate the events in the near future. Does anyone know how far the key fob can be away from the car, and have it keep running? In the event that the app doesn't want to work correctly. Thanks Again. Todd.
Old 02-02-2021 | 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by toddster
I thank you all for your input and advice. It sounds like it isn't a problem with just my E300. I will try to replicate the events in the near future. Does anyone know how far the key fob can be away from the car, and have it keep running? In the event that the app doesn't want to work correctly. Thanks Again. Todd.
The car will keep running until it is turned off. It won't restart without the keyfob.

Last edited by DFWdude; 02-03-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2021 | 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DFWdude
The car will keep running until it is turned off. It won'r restart without the keyfob.
One cannot shift out of park without the keyfob either.
Old 02-02-2021 | 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by ua549
One cannot shift out of park without the keyfob either.
Just to clarify, the whole process of stealing a MB via the electronic relaying of the key signal (nearby) will allow starting the car, shifting it out of park and driving away from the real key. Once out of range of the real key, it will continue to run and be driven wherever the thief wants. Once the thief stops the engine, however, it cannot be restarted because the correct key is not present nearby.

Bottom line: Leave your car running while you run inside the convenience store for some cancer sticks, and you have stupidly done all the work for any thief who wants to help himself to your car. Don't be stupid...

Last edited by DFWdude; 02-03-2021 at 07:49 AM.