Mercedes E220D W213 Annoying Noise in cabin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E220D W213
Mercedes E220D W213 Annoying Noise in cabin

Hi Everyone.

I have an issue that so far even the official MB service couldn't fix. There is a noise coming in direction of the windshield ventilation or somewhere behind the driver panel, can't be sure, but I think it's not coming from the engine since it's not audible outside.

I already tried removing the top cover of the front panel that sometimes makes noise by vibrating and hitting the plastic where it lays but that wasn't the issue. I also uploaded the video to give you a better idea.

I appreciate anything that comes to your mind and thank you in advance for taking your time reading this.

Have a great day! Cheers!

Last edited by Drimarcus; 02-26-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
E450 4Matic Wagon '19, MDX '09, 9-5 Aero '03, 280ZX '79, BelAir '57, VF700S Sabre '84
If I am listening for the correct noise, it almost sounds like gears/motor grinding.
Is it possible that this noise is coming from around the rear view mirror?

My '19 E450 wagon had a noise coming from the overhead console. It was more of a sound of plastic gears grinding (or not meshing properly). It would come and go, sometimes more intense, sometimes faint, sometimes silent. You could usually hear it when first getting in the car, after stopping the car, or if the Autostop kicked in and you were quietly sitting at a traffic light.
I just had my car serviced and asked them to check this. This was the diagnosis:
- ASPIRATOR MOTOR IN THE OVERHEAD CONTROL PANEL IS NOISY -> REPLACED OVERHEAD CONTROL PANEL.

For now, the noise has disappeared.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:19 AM

Mercedes E220D W213
Originally Posted by Janster
If I am listening for the correct noise, it almost sounds like gears/motor grinding.
Is it possible that this noise is coming from around the rear view mirror?

My '19 E450 wagon had a noise coming from the overhead console. It was more of a sound of plastic gears grinding (or not meshing properly). It would come and go, sometimes more intense, sometimes faint, sometimes silent. You could usually hear it when first getting in the car, after stopping the car, or if the Autostop kicked in and you were quietly sitting at a traffic light.
I just had my car serviced and asked them to check this. This was the diagnosis:
- ASPIRATOR MOTOR IN THE OVERHEAD CONTROL PANEL IS NOISY -> REPLACED OVERHEAD CONTROL PANEL.

For now, the noise has disappeared.
Thank you very much for the comment, you are totally right, it sounds like plastic gears grinding. Sound is coming somewhere behind the driver's dashboard.

I'm glad you found a solution for your problem, hopefully, I will too
Old 12-22-2022, 11:06 AM

w213
Hello, the video does not show. I think I have the same problem, could you upload a video?
Old 12-23-2022, 01:59 AM

Mercedes E220D W213
Originally Posted by Darius15
Hello, the video does not show. I think I have the same problem, could you upload a video?
Ups sorry, I set the video to private. I changed it now so it should work, but here is the link again anyways.