E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Command drains battery in 15-20 minutes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 10:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Car
Command drains battery in 15-20 minutes.

I’m curious about taking the Benz to a drive in, but if I sit in my car and turn on the radio the radio will only stay on for 20ish minutes then starts to warning it will turn off after 3 minutes, if I keep powering it back on eventually I get a battery warning and then after that a critical alert from the Mercedes me app. The car has no problem starting but on 2 occasions when I really drained the battery hard, no issue starting but ambient lighting would not work even after driving for 20 minutes, I had to pull the negative battery and put back and all was fine.

I do have an aftermarket subwoofer 500W alpine powering 2x 10” subs but in both situations when I forced the command unit on without ignition running the audio was very low or muted as I was testing a USB adapter.

I am trying to figure out if this is a battery issue or just the design of Mercedes when voltage hits a certain level it goes critical .

I imagine this would also be hard to warranty because of the aftermarket sub but I’m just curious does anyone else have this issue?

I used to notice in my c300 the radio would also turn off and would not stay on when if if ignition off

i used to leave my Chrysler on for hours listening to the radio but I mean it was a Chrysler with a aftermarket pioneer so can’t really compare to this.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
At least on the W212... the command was one of the first "convenience" features that would be turned off due main battery voltage dropping below a certain threshold. I believe is starts around 12.2 VDC... So not a good idea to keep running the command, for the sake of battery health and if you want to restart your engine at the end of the movie.

Maybe consider a jump pack (lithium), throw it on jump terminals when you want to run the infotainment for long periods without the engine running.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Car
That’s a good idea.

I just wonder why the battery gets so low so fast.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
A lot of people bring some other audio device when they go to a drive in movie, like a old boombox. Not ideal obviously, but less of a headache. I think there are even apps on your phone now for live radio.