E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Driving Assistance Plus Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi A6 Avant
Driving Assistance Plus Package

I've put down a deposit on a used approved E class estate but I've only got the spec list to go on and it lists a few things I would like clarification on.

It is the 220d AMG Line Premium Plus with the Widescreen cockpit so I know most things come as standard but not all.

Is Driving Assistance Plus the full autonomous system or autonomous "light"? The reason I'm unsure is I keep hearing about a Distronic system and I don't know if there is a difference. The spec list also states it has Drive Pilot, is that the same thing under a different name?

It also states it has Hands Free Access is that just another way of saying keyless entry?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-02-2021, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 809 Likes on 641 Posts
MB does not have a full autonomous driving mode.

Hands Free Entry is more than "keyless entry". Hands Free Entry allows one to keep the fob in one's pocket and simply open the locked door.
Keyless entry may require one to enter a code on a touch pad, etc. MB has hands free entry.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:09 PM

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by jaffajim0
I've put down a deposit on a used approved E class estate but I've only got the spec list to go on and it lists a few things I would like clarification on.

It is the 220d AMG Line Premium Plus with the Widescreen cockpit so I know most things come as standard but not all.

Is Driving Assistance Plus the full autonomous system or autonomous "light"? The reason I'm unsure is I keep hearing about a Distronic system and I don't know if there is a difference. The spec list also states it has Drive Pilot, is that the same thing under a different name?

It also states it has Hands Free Access is that just another way of saying keyless entry?

Thanks in advance
Depends what you mean by full autonomous driving. Mine will steer, speed up, slow down and follow the car in front (within certain parameters) without input from me (although it reminds you to keep holding wheel).

Keyless entry just means you don’t need to touch key to open car. Also, a quick kick under rear opens boot.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:59 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)

Thanks in advance
Driving Assistance Plus is a package called Driving Assistance Package Plus. That package includes Distronic, which is the cruise control which keeps the distance between you and the vehicle in front, it brakes and accelerates accordingly. Drive Pilot is what Distonic is sometimes referred to as, it's confusing.

Here in Australia, the Driving Assistance Package Plus (P20) is s comprising Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC ****, Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function, Active Lane Change Assist, Active / Evasive Steering Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist & PRE-SAFE® PLUS (P20)

This is not a full autonomous solution in that the car does not drive itself without a driver. No car fully does that yet.

Hands Free Access is "KEYLESS-GO package including keyless start function & HANDS-FREE ACCESS** (P17)" ie no hands needed to access to get in to the car. Keyless Go, is the function where you can start the car with the push button and no key is needed to start the car after you have access to the car

The following 2 users liked this post by mickhoog:
2008 ML 320 CDI (07-27-2024), jaffajim0 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 12:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W213 - E220d. W212 - E350 wagon
You don't mention what year car.
There were Premium plus packages differing for MY updates.
e.g. MY 2016 and 2017 still had cruise control activation via a steering column stalk rather than later models where cruise control was incorporated on buttons on the steering wheel.
There's also an option for "The Mercedes Me app" - opening vehicle using your cell phone.

Depending on your country and legality, there's also an "auto passing option".
Old 05-03-2021, 06:10 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
2019 W213 E Class Estate

Thanks in advance

You might want to try asking the question on a UK MB forum as well? (This is a USA one.)
The following users liked this post:
jaffajim0 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:17 AM

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by jimbg
You might want to try asking the question on a UK MB forum as well? (This is a USA one.)
I thought this was global? There are lots of contributors from outside the US 😳
The following 4 users liked this post by JDPEClassUK:
2008 ML 320 CDI (07-27-2024), jaffajim0 (05-03-2021), mickhoog (05-03-2021), velryba (05-04-2021)

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2021, 06:39 AM

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
So the standard car comes with passive cruise control and lane departure warning. When you up grade to the active cruise control then the radiator grille star goes from hollow and open mesh to a plastic reflective cover as the radar is behind it. Think this was about £600 in UK. There was also the option to upgrade to driver assistance plus for about £1200 (i think) which linked everything up and gave you the "self driving" function. You will know if you have this because there will be a row of switches in the trim panel about the headlight control switch with a steering wheel symbol on one and a car between two converging white lines on another. After about 2018 the option choices were cut right down by MB UK and i think you could only get the more expensive package and only if you had Premium Plus pack. The dealer should give you the option (SA) codes and you will see exactly what it has or find one of the many VIN decoders online and see what is on the car?
Old 05-03-2021, 06:53 AM

2019 W213 E Class Estate
Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK
I thought this was global? There are lots of contributors from outside the US 😳
It is, but the option packages are different in the UK and more likely to get responses from UK owners there, I like this site a lot but when we are talking market specifics it probably best to ask on the appropriate country forum.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:10 AM

Audi A6 Avant
Originally Posted by ua549
MB does not have a full autonomous driving mode.

Hands Free Entry is more than "keyless entry". Hands Free Entry allows one to keep the fob in one's pocket and simply open the locked door.
Keyless entry may require one to enter a code on a touch pad, etc. MB has hands free entry.
I should have clarified that I have seen an online review of the "autonomous" system and that I realise it is not fully autonomous (wouldn't want it to be really) so wondered if the system on "my" car was as I'd seen or not as involved.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:29 AM

Audi A6 Avant
Originally Posted by Ivanerrol
You don't mention what year car.
There were Premium plus packages differing for MY updates.
e.g. MY 2016 and 2017 still had cruise control activation via a steering column stalk rather than later models where cruise control was incorporated on buttons on the steering wheel.
There's also an option for "The Mercedes Me app" - opening vehicle using your cell phone.

2017 is year of registration.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:32 AM

Audi A6 Avant
Originally Posted by Bfgslkman
So the standard car comes with passive cruise control and lane departure warning. When you up grade to the active cruise control then the radiator grille star goes from hollow and open mesh to a plastic reflective cover as the radar is behind it. Think this was about £600 in UK. There was also the option to upgrade to driver assistance plus for about £1200 (i think) which linked everything up and gave you the "self driving" function. You will know if you have this because there will be a row of switches in the trim panel about the headlight control switch with a steering wheel symbol on one and a car between two converging white lines on another. After about 2018 the option choices were cut right down by MB UK and i think you could only get the more expensive package and only if you had Premium Plus pack. The dealer should give you the option (SA) codes and you will see exactly what it has or find one of the many VIN decoders online and see what is on the car?
On the spec list the dealer sent me it shows the price of the upgrade as well and driving assistance plus package has a value of £1412.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:09 AM

2019 W213 E Class Estate
If you can get the VIN then put it into a MB decoder and it will list all the options, rather than the marketing names which vary between countries.
jaffajim0 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
VIN?
Old 05-03-2021, 10:04 AM

2019 W213 E Class Estate
VIN

A vehicle identification number is a unique code, including a serial number, used by the automotive industry to identify individual motor vehicles, towed vehicles, motorcycles, scooters and mopeds, as defined in ISO 3779 and ISO 4030. VINs were first used in 1954 in the United States.

It is in a small "window" usually at the base of the windscreen and hidden in other places on the car.

http://mbepc.net/en/vin/

Last edited by jimbg; 05-03-2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Link to Decoder
Old 05-03-2021, 10:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Thanks I was asking jaffajim0 for VIN to pull data card.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:57 AM

2019 W213 E Class Estate
Old 05-03-2021, 12:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by Ivanerrol
That's one option I've not heard of before.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:53 PM

2019 W213 E Class Estate
That's wind!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:39 PM

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
On the spec list the dealer sent me it shows the price of the upgrade as well and driving assistance plus package has a value of £1412.
If you have the plus package then yes you will get the "self driving", noting that there was an improvement in functionality for 2019 MY (with the new steering wheel) where it would slow down for roundabouts (aswell as change lanes and slow down for motorway exits).
jaffajim0 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:59 PM

Audi A6 Avant
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Thanks I was asking jaffajim0 for VIN to pull data card.
I won't be getting the car till the end of the week so I don't know the VIN yet.