E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Drive Seat Peeling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 07:27 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Car
Drive Seat Peeling

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this look better? I read about stain, anyone have any experience with this? It’s a 2019 E450, 30,000km go figure the seat would already start to do this. This is only in this one spot.

I don’t wear anything that would cause this type of damage and I’m the only one who drives the car….

no point taking to the dealer as they will just hold the car for 8 hours and tell me I’m sitting in the seat wrong and it’s not covered. Not to mention the last fiasco I had at the dealer where the open pore wood was peeling at one corner and when I took it to the dealer they scratched it off, made it 100 times worse and then sent the pictures to MB where they declined my warranty calling it “physical damage”, after I called corporate to report the excessive damage the dealer caused they told me to sue the dealer. Went to another dealer about the breaks squealing while driving (and not the “normal” squeal these cars are known for) they tried to charge me $3000 for new rotors and pads and a $300 diagnostic fee… turns out the pads/calliper just needed grease as they were bone dry which I did myself for $8

So I don’t feel like taking the car to a dealer.

I had a 14 c300 and never had these issues, I don’t know if quality had gone down since 2014 but it’s almost every week there’s something rattling or squeaking in this car with so low km. Last week it was a glove box rattle and prior to that was a squeaky gas pedal…. Both issues I located and fixed myself…

long story short.

any suggestions on how to make this look less noticeable?

Last edited by th1ef; 09-30-2021 at 07:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
velryba (10-01-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 08:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 E-350 Loaded
Looks like 'slide out of seat' syndrome.
I assume they are leather seats, not MB-Tex?
They need to be FED with a good quality leather conditioner like https://skidmores.com/ .
I use the Skidmores on my pure leather Motorcycle seats and it is great stuff. (NOT for MB-Tex)
Clean them first with the appropriate cleaner for leather.
If MB-tex a good vinyl cleaner and protection to arrest the peeling.

Last edited by SmokinJoe; 09-30-2021 at 08:33 AM.
parkwood (10-03-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 09:41 AM

Car
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Looks like 'slide out of seat' syndrome.
I assume they are leather seats, not MB-Tex?
They need to be FED with a good quality leather conditioner like https://skidmores.com/ .
I use the Skidmores on my pure leather Motorcycle seats and it is great stuff. (NOT for MB-Tex)
Clean them first with the appropriate cleaner for leather.
If MB-tex a good vinyl cleaner and protection to arrest the peeling.
I am not sure if it’s MB Tex or not.

I do use a leather conditioner that Inhave used on my c300 and this car. I think you’re right about slide out of seat.

is there anything I can put to restore the Color?
Old 09-30-2021, 11:22 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Personally I'd just leave it. But off the top of my head a quick and easy way is gently touch it up with a sharpie marker. Or maybe some black shoe polish. The shoe polish isn't meant to be worn or scrubbed with clothes so I'd be concerned about ruing your clothes. Same with the sharpie, the dye might wear off in your clothes. Like I said, personally I'd just leave it be. A professional shop will sand down the area. Spray it with a vehicle leather dye. Then clear coat it. That's going to cost you $$$. Might be the best way to fix it but costly.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:03 PM

Car
Hi,

I purchased this for $30, it is the same color as my leather. (F046 Anthracite)

Since the damage is very minimal hopefully this will restain it enough so it’s not noticeable.

Colourlock Leather Fresh Dye 30 ml DIY Repair Colour, dye, Restorer for Scuffs, Small Cracks on car Seats, Sofas, Bags, settees and Clothing - F046 Anthracite

Amazon Amazon
velryba (10-01-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 09:06 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
I had nappa leather in my recently returned e class never again. after only 33000km the slide out seat syndrome was there on the drivers side and on the passenger side some horrible marks from buttons on clothing. I could find no way of really getting rid of the marks. I now have dinamica and artico (mb tex) and it is far more robust. Based on my previous artico cars I anticipaye absolutely no problems over the lifetime I have it. Such a disappointment with the leather but actually that is it’s nature it is not really an ideal choice for car seats due to its poor ability to withstand abrasion
Old 10-07-2021, 08:31 PM

Car
I used the kit I bought from Amazon

what do you think?

before:

after treatment:

there is a blemish in the middle where I restained but it’s not noticible in person, I think the angle of the picture and extreme light magnify it but in person it is not noticible and blends well. The Color was an exact match.

This is after the seat has been treated with conditioner and everything is fully blended:

I guess for $30 it’s no longer noticeable unless you know what you are looking for and get your face way up close and personal.

kit comes with a tiny sponge and I used 0.01 ML so there is enough for the life of the car, carefully apply and dry with a hairdryer

another thing to add to the Mercedes’ handbook of things you have done wrong that damaged your car: “how to get in and out of the car without damaging the seat”

Last edited by th1ef; 10-08-2021 at 08:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by th1ef:
chassis (10-10-2021), Sactownmb (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 01:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 E-350 Loaded
From the pics it looks great!
Maybe keep a quality towel on the seat for everyday use and remove it when going on a date!
Old 10-08-2021, 06:27 PM

Car
Ya not bad for $30 i checked it’s not actually where I touch when I’m sitting it must be from when I get out of the car and slide out so I have to adjust how I get out the car

Last edited by th1ef; 10-08-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:01 PM

Car
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
From the pics it looks great!
Maybe keep a quality towel on the seat for everyday use and remove it when going on a date!

….I just realized that I never actually stated where this damage was…. It’s not even on the bottom of the seat…… it’s on the backrest a few inches up from the bottom — general proximity close to where the seatbelt hangs when not in use, the total length of the damage was maybe 6” vertically….. so even more weird how this could have happened there and not where I’m sitting and constantly rubbing on…. I only run on it when I’m trying to dig my self out of the seat when I get out…..
Old 10-10-2021, 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Great repair, well done!