E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Windshield Replacement - Anyone Used MB?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 05:32 PM

Received 171 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 E450 Wagon
Windshield Replacement - Anyone Used MB?

Today I reached out to my two local MB dealers to get a quote for them to replace my windshield with a genuine MB windshield. I was quoted $1946 (parts, labor and recalibrating my safety equipment) by my closest dealer when I do my servicing and $1702 by the other MB dealer which is about 45 minutes drive away. I've not gotten a quote from any none MB glass companies to compare it to but it is expensive.

Has anyone else replaced their W213 windshields through MB? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
In NY our insurance covers replacement of the windshield. This is a safety item/issue as NY does not want to have cars being driven with less than perfect windshields. In this case, big government "telling us what to do", I agree with NY.

Just my $.02.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
I haven't done it on a W213, but I've done it on my '19 C63S coupe. Many dealerships contract the replacement of the glass out to another shop, and then they take it back for the calibration. My dealership does it all in-house. They have factory trained glass repair technicians on staff. It was about $1400 for me. I have the full Driver Assistance package, so all the calibrations had to be done, but I don't have HUD. The HUD requires different glass, so if you have the HUD, that's where the extra cost is likely coming from. The W213 may also have heat insulating glass, so that would be another cost item. With all the cameras and technology in these cars, replacing windshields has become quite expensive. Glass replacement is usually covered by the comprehensive part of your insurance policy, and depending on the state they may even wave your deductible. I've long lowered my comprehensive deductible to $100 as I've had several windshields replaced in the past, so a new windshield costs me $100, regardless of what's involved and during the first 3-years insurance covers factory glass. After that in my experience there's actually no aftermarket glass that meets the quality requirements for the cameras etc., and so the insurance has to cover factory glass. You just have to push them and make them verify that there isn't actually aftermarket glass available for your VIN.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:30 PM

2020 E450 Wagon
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, here in Texas insurance does not cover windshields like it did when I lived in MA. I don't have a HUD in my E450 wagon so its overly expensive for profit reasons The MB dealer 45 minutes away said they have a windshield while my closest one said they'd need to order one which will take around three weeks.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by superswiss
I haven't done it on a W213, but I've done it on my '19 C63S coupe. Many dealerships contract the replacement of the glass out to another shop, and then they take it back for the calibration. My dealership does it all in-house. They have factory trained glass repair technicians on staff. It was about $1400 for me. I have the full Driver Assistance package, so all the calibrations had to be done, but I don't have HUD. The HUD requires different glass, so if you have the HUD, that's where the extra cost is likely coming from. The W213 may also have heat insulating glass, so that would be another cost item. With all the cameras and technology in these cars, replacing windshields has become quite expensive. Glass replacement is usually covered by the comprehensive part of your insurance policy, and depending on the state they may even wave your deductible. I've long lowered my comprehensive deductible to $100 as I've had several windshields replaced in the past, so a new windshield costs me $100, regardless of what's involved and during the first 3-years insurance covers factory glass. After that in my experience there's actually no aftermarket glass that meets the quality requirements for the cameras etc., and so the insurance has to cover factory glass. You just have to push them and make them verify that there isn't actually aftermarket glass available for your VIN.
I agree:

Insist MB OEM glass. An after market may and probably will affect the resale value of your car. On a prior car, my insurance company wanted to substitute an aftermarket glass and I pointed out that my car was leased and at lease end Mercedes will require an OEM glass and not an aftermarket: my insurance company agreed to the MB OEM glass!
Old 10-06-2021, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by fleuger99
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, here in Texas insurance does not cover windshields like it did when I lived in MA. I don't have a HUD in my E450 wagon so its overly expensive for profit reasons The MB dealer 45 minutes away said they have a windshield while my closest one said they'd need to order one which will take around three weeks.
I'm confused, do you not have comprehensive coverage? Texas comprehensive insurance does cover windshields as far as I can see. You just have to pay a deductible like here in California. It looks like optionally you can get full glass replacement coverage in Texas for an extra premium, but if you didn't opt for that, your comprehensive should still cover it minus your deductible. Now if you have a really high deductible, then it's another story. You can have different deductibles for your collision and comprehensive coverage. A low comprehensive deductible doesn't actually make much of a difference on the total premium, because it covers higher power claims such as vandalism, cracked windshield, hail damage etc. that you can't control. I have a higher deductible on my collision coverage, because that's mostly my fault if I hit something.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Recent experience with MB and BMW is that dealers either refuse glass work (MB) or take the car into the service department and a third party comes on site to supply and replace the glass (BMW).

In both cases, MB and BMW, the dealer recalibrated the vision/sensing systems.

Windshield replacement is a sham and a racket. Insurance companies have outsourced glass claims to a third party call center. Carmakers produce thinner (and stronger) glass to put more profit in their pockets. However, as crack resistance is proportional to the third power of thickness, the tiniest reduction in windshield thickness results in a very large reduction in crack resistance. Cracking and chipping are low on carmakers' priority for design criteria. Overall windshield integrity, low cost and low weight are the main drivers.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:00 PM

2020 E450 Wagon
I'm confused, do you not have comprehensive coverage? Texas comprehensive insurance does cover windshields as far as I can see. You just have to pay a deductible like here in California. It looks like optionally you can get full glass replacement coverage in Texas for an extra premium, but if you didn't opt for that, your comprehensive should still cover it minus your deductible. Now if you have a really high deductible, then it's another story. You can have different deductibles for your collision and comprehensive coverage. A low comprehensive deductible doesn't actually make much of a difference on the total premium, because it covers higher power claims such as vandalism, cracked windshield, hail damage etc. that you can't control. I have a higher deductible on my collision coverage, because that's mostly my fault if I hit something.
What I should have said is that it is not covered free of charge like when I lived in MA. One could claim up to three windshields a year free of charge. Yes, I could claim the windshield through my comprehensive and my deductible is $700 so might be worth it. I wonder if claiming this via comprehensive will impact my premiums next year when I renew?
Old 10-06-2021, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
What I should have said is that it is not covered free of charge like when I lived in MA. One could claim up to three windshields a year free of charge. Yes, I could claim the windshield through my comprehensive and my deductible is $700 so might be worth it. I wonder if claiming this via comprehensive will impact my premiums next year when I renew?
No, comprehensive claims don't affect your premium as they are no fault claims. Paying for the windshield replacement out of pocket when you could cap it at $700 makes no sense.
The following users liked this post:
JTK44 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:05 PM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 E550 Coupe & 99 C280
Went thru 3 pieces of passenger glass on my 2000 CLK430. AllState's glass subcontractor kept insisting it was the same as OEM. The first 2 pieces neither fit correctly or matched the OEM tint. Finally I got my agent involved and took the car to the dealer.....they ordered the glass.....3 weeks later it came in, was installed and fit the body contours correctly. The tint was also an almost perfect match. YES the piece of glass was $300 more expensive than the 1st Mexican and the 2nd Chinese produced, but in the end....it was way cheaper!
The following 2 users liked this post by TEAsE550:
fleuger99 (10-06-2021), JTK44 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:05 PM

2020 E450 Wagon
No, comprehensive claims don't affect your premium as they are no fault claims. Paying for the windshield replacement out of pocket when you could cap it at $700 makes no sense.
Good to know, thanks. I'll definitely claim it via comprehensive then.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 E450 Wagon
I need to replace the windshield on my wagon too. FWIW the dealer in NY quoted me about $2k all in. While I have "full glass" on my insurance policy they will only pony up for a non OEM windshield replacement and lower labor rates so it would be a chunk out of pocket.

I will try the "it's leased so need to replace with OEM" argument and see if that will fly. Sigh.
The following users liked this post:
fleuger99 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
In Florida if one has comprehensive insurance coverage, the insurance company must pay the entire cost of the replacement and your rates insurance rates can not be increased because of it. When I was on the road a lot, I got a new no cost windshield every year or so due to sharing the road with gravel trucks.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by diveganesh
I need to replace the windshield on my wagon too. FWIW the dealer in NY quoted me about $2k all in. While I have "full glass" on my insurance policy they will only pony up for a non OEM windshield replacement and lower labor rates so it would be a chunk out of pocket.

I will try the "it's leased so need to replace with OEM" argument and see if that will fly. Sigh.
Just checked with my insurance: State Farm: I was told that I have comprehensive, collision and full glass. The full glass has no deductible.

If my insurance company wanted me to take non OEM glass, I would refuse: I would tell them they have been charging me a higher premium for my Mercedes for many years, knowing that replacement parts and labor on a Mercedes is higher, so I want to get what I paid for - plus the lease argument!

Stick to your demand: my experience has been that the insurance company will finally say: "OK, but if it happens again we are going with non OEM": I say fine, knowing if it happens in the future I will deal with it then.

Just my $.02
Old 10-07-2021, 04:48 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Funny, my windshield was just hit by a huge rock about 10 days ago. I took the number of the plate of the truck and had the presence of mind to take photos of the truck and the company. I contacted the company and told them about the incident. A week later the company's insurance company said the truck driver said that he didn't do it and the only evidence counter was my complaint. They refused to cover it. So I have to use my insurance with a $300 collision deductible to cover it. Thing is, I'm no where near the dealer. If I had to drive there would they give me a loaner or can they replace it in a few hours while I wait?
Old 10-07-2021, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by CarFan1
Funny, my windshield was just hit by a huge rock about 10 days ago. I took the number of the plate of the truck and had the presence of mind to take photos of the truck and the company. I contacted the company and told them about the incident. A week later the company's insurance company said the truck driver said that he didn't do it and the only evidence counter was my complaint. They refused to cover it. So I have to use my insurance with a $300 collision deductible to cover it. Thing is, I'm no where near the dealer. If I had to drive there would they give me a loaner or can they replace it in a few hours while I wait?
It's like any other service appointment. They'll give you a loaner if you arrange for one. They'll likely have to order the glass first, so it'll take a few days.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:30 PM

2020 E450 Wagon
It's like any other service appointment. They'll give you a loaner if you arrange for one. They'll likely have to order the glass first, so it'll take a few days.
My local dealer said it would take 2 - 3 weeks to get the windshield due to supply chain issues. Just an FYI.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 wagon
Just had mine replaced by safelite in Manhattan. Have Geico got OEM glass paid the difference of $600. Great work by some great guys.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 E450 Wagon
I just had mine replaced last month in the Atlanta area by Atlanta Classic Cars (MB of North Atlanta)
https://www.mercedesbenzofatlantane.com/

I have a 2019 E450 wagon, and the windshield was struck by a rock kicked up by a large pickup on the interstate.
I originally called them about repair, and they said they did that, but only on certain days, and scheduled an appointment. When I got there, they decided they couldn't repair, but could only replace. The service rep said he would check on availability. He called me back that afternoon with an appointment to replace, and offered a loaner. I dropped off my car in the morning, and they called me the next day that the car was done.

I have a $500 deductible for comprehensive, and when I spoke with insurance agent, they said would not affect to my insurance to put in a claim for a windshield. Allstate uses SafeLite to do all their claims on glass. I had it replaced, and paid for it myself, and then submitted claim. That way they couldn't replace it with any non-OEM glass.

I've been driving cars for over 50 years, and this is the first windshield I've ever had to replace.

Last edited by RobinAtlanta; 10-08-2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2021, 09:55 AM

2020 E450 Wagon
Originally Posted by RobinAtlanta
I just had mine replaced last month in the Atlanta area by Atlanta Classic Cars (MB of North Atlanta)
https://www.mercedesbenzofatlantane.com/

I have a 2019 E450 wagon, and the windshield was struck by a rock kicked up by a large pickup on the interstate.
I originally called them about repair, and they said they did that, but only on certain days, and scheduled an appointment. When I got there, they decided they couldn't repair, but could only replace. The service rep said he would check on availability. He called me back that afternoon with an appointment to replace, and offered a loaner. I dropped off my car in the morning, and they called me the next day that the car was done.

I have a $500 deductible for comprehensive, and when I spoke with insurance agent, they said would not affect to my insurance to put in a claim for a windshield. Allstate uses SafeLite to do all their claims on glass. I had it replaced, and paid for it myself, and then submitted claim. That way they couldn't replace it with any non-OEM glass.

I've been driving cars for over 50 years, and this is the first windshield I've ever had to replace.

Thanks for sharing the info. I find it interesting that yours was $1200 odd dollars where as my, and other quotes were closer to $2K. I imagine the windshield costs the same for most MB dealers so the difference is the profit factor in the pricing. Clearly shows some dealers are gouging. BTW, saw you had a Saab 9-5 wagon at one point. I loved those cars.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 E450 Wagon
BTW, saw you had a Saab 9-5 wagon at one point. I loved those cars.
I had already started looking at the new ones to replace it, when they shut down, and I wasn't willing to buy an orphan. Even though the local dealer was great, and they stayed around quite a while after.
At one time the NA headquarters was in Norcross, GA, and was near my route home from work. I would make a point of driving by the lot to see what the execs were driving.

The 9000 has been my favorite car ever. It was Talledega Red, with a Elmo leather tan interior. That little 4 cyl turbo would scream. I took it to an independent Saab/Volvo repair shop at one point, and when I was picking it up at the desk, the mechanic came out to meet me, to tell me "that car fly!"

Rob
Old 10-10-2021, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
mercedes of San Francisco gave me a quote for $2,497. I have had the crack for over a year now but havent had the energy to fight with State Farm to get it replaced OEM. When I do call State Farm, I am going to insist on OEM glass because of the radar sensor lines on the windshield. I dont know if the Chinese knock offs come with it which would affect distronic.

Windshield $ 1537.05
Glue kit $120.00
Labor $ 700.00
Tax $ 140.85

Old 10-10-2021, 08:19 AM

2020 E450 Wagon
Originally Posted by joshg1001
mercedes of San Francisco gave me a quote for $2,497. I have had the crack for over a year now but havent had the energy to fight with State Farm to get it replaced OEM. When I do call State Farm, I am going to insist on OEM glass because of the radar sensor lines on the windshield. I dont know if the Chinese knock offs come with it which would affect distronic.

Windshield $ 1537.05
Glue kit $120.00
Labor $ 700.00
Tax $ 140.85
Ouch! I thought $1700 was a lot of money Good luck with your insurance company.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 Arriving soon. 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by joshg1001

Windshield $ 1537.05
Glue kit $120.00
Labor $ 700.00
Tax $ 140.85
I had no problem with State Farm on my BMW. The car was newer though. Safelite replaced it in my driveway. Had HUD. No problems. There was no fight whatsoever.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
I had no problem with State Farm on my BMW. The car was newer though. Safelite replaced it in my driveway. Had HUD. No problems. There was no fight whatsoever.
so safelight ordered oem bmw glass for you? they didn't even try to give you a cheaper replacement?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement - Anyone Used MB?