E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2018 E300 4Matic service question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic Sport
2018 E300 4Matic service question

I admit I have auto-paranoia, LOL, but I was hoping some of the resident experts could help me out. I bought this car with 39,000 miles. I bought it CPO and bought on top of that an extended manufacturer's warranty -- extending the original manufacturer's warranty -- primarily because I have auto-paranoia, LOL. So, the car has been great. I still don't know how to use 90% of the features, but that's another story. It has regular service and maintenance done, and at 39,000 miles, right before I bought it, it had a "40,000 mile service" done, and was CPO'ed. It now has 43,000 miles. However, I am not thrilled with the way the engine sounds sometimes. It runs fine, runs well, but sometimes it just doesn't sound normal or healthy. It sounds "rough" or idling a bit high, not smooth, quiet, etc.

I am going to schedule a service appointment -- at the local dealer, where I DID NOT buy the car. I found the car 75 miles away and bought it from a MB dealer there. Here's my question -- anything that's wrong (except wear and tear) -- is covered! BUT...is this dealer simply going to try and sell me on some expensive "50,000 mile service" and tell me that is what's needed to "solve" (whatever) engine problem (they find)? I constantly get screwed by dealers, with service, etc. Any insight and advice for me here -- and thank you very much in advance!
Old 10-15-2021, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 601 Likes on 456 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Even at idle, when you are outside the 4 cylinder in the E300, the engine has a reputation of sounding rough and harsh. It is the nature of "the beast".

The following users liked this post:
BoMB (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 04:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,723 Likes on 2,317 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
It would help if you are able to record a video of the sound you are hearing so we can all listen to it to determine if the sound is indeed normal.
BoMB (10-16-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:13 AM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
A friend of a friend is a recently retired mechanic from the local MB dealer. He drove and listened to the car -- and he said it sounds "normal" and drives fine. As JTK said, the mechanic explained that the engine does normally sound a bit "rough" and "laboring" (was a term he used). He did say that he thought the auto on/off (when you stop) was a bit "rough" -- but he said that's not uncommon either. So, all seems to be fine.

That said, I am at 43,000 miles and change. After having the car a couple of months, I can't say I am intimately familiar with all the features and nuances of the car. I have two questions -- one, is there any way I can figure out if everything is "normal" and working fine BEFORE I bring it to the dealer, so that I can have it fixed/repaired BEFORE the original manufacturer's warranty runs out (48k miles)? Two, is there a typical, normal, scheduled, 50,000 mile service that the dealer is going to sell me? If so, what's done? Is this mandatory to do? Optional? If I don't know what's legit, I am simply playing in their sandbox, and I am going to get screwed! LOL. Thank you very much again!
Old 10-19-2021, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachment for required service @ 50,000.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
18 E svc.pdf (186.9 KB, 125 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by konigstiger:
BoMB (10-19-2021), JTK44 (10-19-2021), W205C43PFL (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Thanks: It looks basically like the "A" service plus replacement of spark plugs, correct?

Anyone know what a dealer charges for replacing spark plugs: labor + cost of spark plugs.
BoMB (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 10:10 PM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Wow! Thank you very much. It seems like most of that is "wear and tear" items and general maintenance -- so none of it is covered by warranty. I'm a real newbie here, so if you don't mind me asking -- where did you find that document? I am sure they are going to "recommend" every possible thing, LOL. Is there any of it that is truly mandatory, necessary, and a very good idea to do? Thank you again, very much!
Old 10-19-2021, 10:12 PM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by JTK44
Thanks: It looks basically like the "A" service plus replacement of spark plugs, correct?

Anyone know what a dealer charges for replacing spark plugs: labor + cost of spark plugs.
Great question...thanks.
Replacing spark plugs at 50k miles? Really? Is that normal? On my Toyota RAV4 Limited AWD -- the recommendation was at 75,000 miles, if needed, but 100,000 miles automatic.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by BoMB
Wow! Thank you very much. It seems like most of that is "wear and tear" items and general maintenance -- so none of it is covered by warranty. I'm a real newbie here, so if you don't mind me asking -- where did you find that document? I am sure they are going to "recommend" every possible thing, LOL. Is there any of it that is truly mandatory, necessary, and a very good idea to do? Thank you again, very much!
you are asking if things that may or not be recommended are really necessary. You really need to be more specific. Why don’t you find out what may be recommended before you assume the worst.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

I hope it is not too much of a bother, but could you please generate a copy for the 205 MY18 as well, if you don't mind? That will be awesome thank you : )
Old 10-22-2021, 03:40 PM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Well, I called to make the appointment. They didn't ask me for my VIN. The car has never been to this dealership before. They asked me the reason for the appointment. After I explained -- the service advisor said, "Well, well have to get the 50,000 mile service A done." I asked what that was. He said, "It consists of very important maintenance items, and other checks we do, but the maintenance items are critical because you want to keep your car running well, and of course keep it within warranty guidelines." I asked him to explain what that meant. I also asked -- can you give me a list of these maintenance items. He didn't give me one until I specifically asked about items that were on the schedule konigstiger was so gracious enough to supply. Then, the guy said, "Yes, that's included."

I explained that my car had a service A done at 40,000 miles, and how did he know some of those items weren't already done. He said they wouldn't be done, and this is the first -- and very important time to do them, and if I don't, I could have warranty problems. I asked how much the service A cost, and the answer was very professional...he said..."Well, we will have to look at the car and see what else is necessary in addition to the service A." Very interesting, LOL.

Well, looks like I am off to a great start with first service at 50,000 miles on my new ride. LOL.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Well, I called to make the appointment. They didn't ask me for my VIN. The car has never been to this dealership before. They asked me the reason for the appointment. After I explained -- the service advisor said, "Well, well have to get the 50,000 mile service A done." I asked what that was. He said, "It consists of very important maintenance items, and other checks we do, but the maintenance items are critical because you want to keep your car running well, and of course keep it within warranty guidelines." I asked him to explain what that meant. I also asked -- can you give me a list of these maintenance items. He didn't give me one until I specifically asked about items that were on the schedule konigstiger was so gracious enough to supply. Then, the guy said, "Yes, that's included."

I explained that my car had a service A done at 40,000 miles, and how did he know some of those items weren't already done. He said they wouldn't be done, and this is the first -- and very important time to do them, and if I don't, I could have warranty problems. I asked how much the service A cost, and the answer was very professional...he said..."Well, we will have to look at the car and see what else is necessary in addition to the service A." Very interesting, LOL.

Well, looks like I am off to a great start with first service at 50,000 miles on my new ride. LOL.
Looks like he is trying to see if you know your cars and the services required for it, if he thinks you don't, he will try to sell you additional services. Anyways, when he tells you there are additional services that is "required' please do let us know so we can see if it is in fact required, if not, you know that he is trying to sell you additional unnecessary services.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If I am correct the warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first, so I do not know what the SA is talking about keeping up your warranty.

As I posted, in looking over the 50,000 mile service it seems to be the "A" service plus change of spark plugs. My dealer is always running specials on the "A" service which is a bunch of visual inspections (wonder if they are ever done?) plus oil and filter change.

However, the 40,000 mile service seems to be the "B" service which is the "A" service plus other things. So doing the "A" service at 40,000 miles might have been in error.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:47 AM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Looks like he is trying to see if you know your cars and the services required for it, if he thinks you don't, he will try to sell you additional services. Anyways, when he tells you there are additional services that is "required' please do let us know so we can see if it is in fact required, if not, you know that he is trying to sell you additional unnecessary services.
Well, that really stinks. Unfortunately, he pushes the discussion a few steps beyond hello, and he will know I don't know cars, service, mechanical, etc. I tried to ask specifics, but the vagueness and ambiguity was simply deflecting. I didn't like the inferred or scare tactics either. I guess I will call back, perhaps speak with a manager, simply to get details and specifics as to what they are saying is "required" (and the costs). Thanks.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:03 AM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by JTK44
If I am correct the warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first, so I do not know what the SA is talking about keeping up your warranty.

As I posted, in looking over the 50,000 mile service it seems to be the "A" service plus change of spark plugs. My dealer is always running specials on the "A" service which is a bunch of visual inspections (wonder if they are ever done?) plus oil and filter change.

However, the 40,000 mile service seems to be the "B" service which is the "A" service plus other things. So doing the "A" service at 40,000 miles might have been in error.
Yes, the OM warranty is 4/50 -- he asked me if the car was CPO. I said yes, he said, "Good, so you have another year and unlimited miles...Did you ever consider buying an extended warranty?" I was on the fence whether to tell him I already did, LOL, but I did tell him. That's when he went into his routine about "keeping the warranty in good standing" -- inferring that if I didn't do the "required" service, have the various things done that he said were "required" (he almost used the word "mandatory"), my warranty could, might, potentially be in jeopardy. The guy was polite and all, but I felt I was being manipulated and pick-pocketed over the phone! LOL. When the call was over, I checked to make sure I still had my wallet! LOL.

I'll have to go check the documentation, but I think the service records, and the CarFax report, said that a Service A was done when the car was turned in at 39k miles, as part of the CPO process. On the other hand, like you said, perhaps it was an error. That said, how much is a typical Service A -- replacing the spark plugs, oil and filter change, and whatever else they do? Thanks in advance JTK.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, the OM warranty is 4/50 -- he asked me if the car was CPO. I said yes, he said, "Good, so you have another year and unlimited miles...Did you ever consider buying an extended warranty?" I was on the fence whether to tell him I already did, LOL, but I did tell him. That's when he went into his routine about "keeping the warranty in good standing" -- inferring that if I didn't do the "required" service, have the various things done that he said were "required" (he almost used the word "mandatory"), my warranty could, might, potentially be in jeopardy. The guy was polite and all, but I felt I was being manipulated and pick-pocketed over the phone! LOL. When the call was over, I checked to make sure I still had my wallet! LOL.

I'll have to go check the documentation, but I think the service records, and the CarFax report, said that a Service A was done when the car was turned in at 39k miles, as part of the CPO process. On the other hand, like you said, perhaps it was an error. That said, how much is a typical Service A -- replacing the spark plugs, oil and filter change, and whatever else they do? Thanks in advance JTK.
"A": service at my dealer is $225.

see: https://www.rallyemotors.com/service-specials/

It is basically oil and filter change plus visual inspections. Others have posted that independent shops charge substantially less.

I have no idea what changing the spark plugs costs but it is only 4 plugs - how much can they charge?

I lease and had the 2 year maintenance plan put into the lease which residualized the cost, so my cost for both the "A" and "B" service was only $540 - 60% of $890.

If this was my car here is what I would do:

I would look over the 50,000 mile service and see how it differs from the "A" service. My quick glance indicated that the only additional work was changing the spark plugs. I would then ask the SA how much is the "A" service and how much for changing the plugs.

I remember back in the 1980's I had a 300Turbo Diesel: It required an oil change and filter every 5,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and they wanted to do many extra things. I said "OK" if you can show me where in my owners manual what you wanted to do is listed. They could not. They agreed to do just the oil and filter change! Saved hundred of dollars!

As you have a CPO with an extended warranty, if the dealer finds something else that needs to be done, they will do it: the service department makes money by doing service - so if something else needs to be done, as you have the extended warranty, the dealer will do it and get paid. No need to pay extra for them to inspections, etc..

Just my $.02 and good luck.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update: Spark plugs are about $20 each:

https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/spark-plug
Old 10-24-2021, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:

Here is a youtube video showing how the 4 plugs are replaced. After looking the the video I think it would take a first timer under two hours and a competent Mercedes mechanic under an hour to do the job.

BoMB (10-26-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 10:51 PM

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts
E400 Wagon; 2010 ML350; 08 CLK350 Cabriolet; 69 SL280
Had ORGINAL spark plugs replaced in my wife's 2010 ML350, 79,000 miles, total cost at Mercedes of Charlottesville, VA $433.
Note Original spark plugs were 11 years old! how we missed that with all the A & B services over the years - well just stupid I guess
Does the car run any different, not that we can tell but gas mileage increased by 2 gallons per mile.

Last edited by makiii; 10-24-2021 at 10:53 PM.
BoMB (10-26-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just printed out the service for 50,000 miles for my records.

I can confirm it is the "A" service plus change of spark plugs.
BoMB (10-26-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 02:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
could you please generate a copy for the 205 MY18
Attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
18 205 Service Sheet.pdf (200.5 KB, 54 views)
W205C43PFL (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 07:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Attached.
Appreciate it!
Old 11-02-2021, 08:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
E350e
Sir,

Is the EU version of this service sheet same with US version, except maybe in EU we use Km instead miles ?

I would like to know if you have one for 2018 E350 e hybrid (213.050) so I can track what my local dealer will check when I bring the car for service.

Thanks

Last edited by rob360; 11-02-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
I have access to MBUSA only. Speak with your Service Manager to pull applicable Service Sheet: Startekinfo / ISP Portal – MB Workshop Resources – Maintenance Sheets
Old 11-02-2021, 04:02 PM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Called, made the appointment...this time I was asked for my VIN...woman told me the A service consisted of -- oil change, topping off fluids, and a multi-point inspection -- and for this they are charging $390 plus tax. Seems unreasonable to me. Then she told me they recommend changing the spark plugs and air filter at 50k miles...BUT...she would have to call me back to let me know how much that costs. Sounds like premium pricing to me -- even for Northern New Jersey.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2018 E300 4Matic service question