E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Want to adjust front of seat lower than normal range

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 04:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
W222 S500 4Matic SWB
Want to adjust front of seat lower than normal range

You know how the base of a seat in pretty much all cars is at an angle of probably 5-10° such that the front is higher than the back. I'd like mine to be flat. But the seat adjustment in my W213 doesn't allow for that. You do have separate controls for the front and back but you can't change it by enough. I'm having issues with my left hip and the pressure on the thigh when in the car. I don't get issues on my office char (flat) or the sofa (flat), or the bed (flat). I feel like my driving discomfort would be avoided if I could straighten out the seat base.

At the front/below my drivers seat I see that there's a fire extinguisher, I don't know if having that is limiting the range. If it is, I'd happily swap that over to the passenger side or mount it elsewhere.

It's sad but I'm considering selling the car and getting something else just because of this - I need to be comfortable.

I'm hoping that someone here has removed their seats and can imagine a place where with some modifications it might be possible to extend the range - even if it involves extending the length of a slot or drilling different holes or removing a cross-bar or something.

I found this image that shows that "3" should adjust the front part of the seat up/down but it doesn't go down far enough.

Last edited by d4005; 11-21-2021 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Added image and re-worded a little.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
I just checked the seats in my US 2018 E300. The seat is fully adjustable from the controls on the door. Each part of the seat can be moved independently - up/down, back/forward. Also the seat bottom up/down adjustment can be applied to just the forward edge of the seat for angular comfort. For you adjust the rear seat bottom up and the front seat bottom down to increase the angle.

In addition there is a control on the lower side portion of the seat bottom to adjust the lumbar support.

Do you have a non-US model or a model without memory controls?

Last edited by ua549; 11-21-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:18 PM

W222 S500 4Matic SWB
Yeah, mine too, but the front is simply not moving down far enough for the seat to be flat. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing I can do with the controls. I'm really looking for info about whether removing the seat and hacking at it with a drill or a saw, or by removing some parts, maybe it can be re-installed and have the extended range of movement I'm looking for. I'll take a photo of the actual seat and controls tomorrow and show that despite it already being in its lowest possible position for the front, it's still at too high an angle for my comfort.

I know it's me that's the problem in this combination of seat and driver but I'm hoping the seat can play the game and give me a bit more.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Fire extinguisher under the front seat? Is that a Europe thing?
Old 11-21-2021, 02:48 PM

W222 S500 4Matic SWB
I guess it must be. I didn't spec the car new, I bought it at 2 years old (probably a lease-return). Outrageously it was slightly less than 50% the price of a new one and only had 16,000 miles.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does the passenger seat adjustment go lower? If so, removal of the fire extinguisher may be a solution.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:01 AM

W222 S500 4Matic SWB
Originally Posted by ua549
Does the passenger seat adjustment go lower? If so, removal of the fire extinguisher may be a solution.
I checked the passenger seat, can't believe I hadn't tried that. But it seems like it's not going any lower (or if it is, then it's a minor difference).I took some pictures where I deliberately ensured that the sills were horizontally level so that the angle of the seat can be seen relative to that. I added a thick white horizontal line that emphasizes it even more.

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2021, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your seats are quite different than the US version. Seat removal and mount modification seems to be your best alternative.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:40 AM

W222 S500 4Matic SWB
Smile

Originally Posted by ua549
Your seats are quite different than the US version. Seat removal and mount modification seems to be your best alternative.
I'm gonna ask my local Mercedes service/dealer when I get the recall dealt with in just over a week. They've got the car sitting there for 4 hours getting the software update so that might be enough time to modify my seat mount.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:10 AM

W222 S500 4Matic SWB
I solved my E-Class uncomfortable seat option. The answer is so obvious, it was staring me in the face. I got rid of the car and got an S500. Don't make the same mistake I did, thinking you can go from an S to an E. It doesn't work. I was perfectly happy with the four E-Classes I had before I got my first S-Class, but that 5th E-Class just didn't get the job done. I think I might just keep this S up until the day when driving ICE cars stops being a thing.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by d4005
I solved my E-Class uncomfortable seat option. The answer is so obvious, it was staring me in the face. I got rid of the car and got an S500. Don't make the same mistake I did, thinking you can go from an S to an E. It doesn't work. I was perfectly happy with the four E-Classes I had before I got my first S-Class, but that 5th E-Class just didn't get the job done. I think I might just keep this S up until the day when driving ICE cars stops being a thing.
Going from a wagon to the S-sedan do you miss the practicality in exchange for better rear seat comfort and the fridge?
Old 12-22-2021, 01:56 PM

W222 S500 4Matic SWB
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Going from a wagon to the S-sedan do you miss the practicality in exchange for better rear seat comfort and the fridge?
It wasn't only about front seat comfort, that's the only thing I thought I might be able to resolve. It was more about all the luxuries the S offers. A lot of which aren't available on an E, I'll copy/paste the spec at the end of this message. Luckily this S didn't have the fridge, that just eats up too much boot/trunk space. I'd have had that removed if it was installed.

As for other practicality, I rarely found myself transporting anything that needed a wagon - and it was for other people more than for myself. Gimme the advantages of an S sedan over the advantages of an E wagon all day long.

Spec:
Soft Close, Night vision, Burmester Surround Sound, Auxiliary/Remote pre-heating, Head-Up Display, 4x Reclining/Heated/Cooled/Multicontour/Comfort/Dynamic/Massage seats, Panorama Sunroof, Analogue+Digital TV tuner, Traffic sign recognition, Adaptive cruise with auto-steering, Blind spot warning, Collision avoidance, Distance warning, 360° camera, Adaptive Intelligent LED headlights, Ambient lighting, Full leather, Alarm, Heated steering wheel and armrests, Hill start assist, Glare-free high beam, Bluetooth, Memory seats, Inside and Outside mirror automatic dimming, LED daytime running lights, 20" AMG Alloys, Airmatic Body Control suspension with lift, Drowsiness warning, Integrated music streaming, Navigation, Emergency brake assist, Emergency call system, DAB Radio, Voice control, Lane Keeping Assist, Automatic start/stop, USB, Fully digital instrument cluster, Active parking assistant, Garage door opener, Keyless Go, Rear entertainment package (2x 10 inch display), Active bonnet, Glove compartment with cooling function, Adaptive windscreen wiper system (Magic Vision Control) heated, Split view display, Air Balance Package including ionization, improved air filtering and fragrancing, Chauffeur package (chauffeur position passenger seat), Illuminated door sills, Driver assistance package plus, Sun protection electric blinds, Rain sensor, Tyre pressure monitoring.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by d4005
It wasn't only about front seat comfort, that's the only thing I thought I might be able to resolve. It was more about all the luxuries the S offers. A lot of which aren't available on an E, I'll copy/paste the spec at the end of this message. Luckily this S didn't have the fridge, that just eats up too much boot/trunk space. I'd have had that removed if it was installed.

As for other practicality, I rarely found myself transporting anything that needed a wagon - and it was for other people more than for myself. Gimme the advantages of an S sedan over the advantages of an E wagon all day long.

Spec:
Soft Close, Night vision, Burmester Surround Sound, Auxiliary/Remote pre-heating, Head-Up Display, 4x Reclining/Heated/Cooled/Multicontour/Comfort/Dynamic/Massage seats, Panorama Sunroof, Analogue+Digital TV tuner, Traffic sign recognition, Adaptive cruise with auto-steering, Blind spot warning, Collision avoidance, Distance warning, 360° camera, Adaptive Intelligent LED headlights, Ambient lighting, Full leather, Alarm, Heated steering wheel and armrests, Hill start assist, Glare-free high beam, Bluetooth, Memory seats, Inside and Outside mirror automatic dimming, LED daytime running lights, 20" AMG Alloys, Airmatic Body Control suspension with lift, Drowsiness warning, Integrated music streaming, Navigation, Emergency brake assist, Emergency call system, DAB Radio, Voice control, Lane Keeping Assist, Automatic start/stop, USB, Fully digital instrument cluster, Active parking assistant, Garage door opener, Keyless Go, Rear entertainment package (2x 10 inch display), Active bonnet, Glove compartment with cooling function, Adaptive windscreen wiper system (Magic Vision Control) heated, Split view display, Air Balance Package including ionization, improved air filtering and fragrancing, Chauffeur package (chauffeur position passenger seat), Illuminated door sills, Driver assistance package plus, Sun protection electric blinds, Rain sensor, Tyre pressure monitoring.
Glad to hear it worked out perfectly and very nice spec congrats and thanks for sharing.