E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Android Auto On E 300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 05:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
W213
Any videos / evidence of this working on a W213 or other Comand system?

Does it maintain correct aspect ratio?
Old 02-08-2023, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 2006 Sport Edition (W203)
I've been looking for a way to have a fullscreen AA on my W213 E220d 2017 since I got it about 2 years ago, and I can't believe I missed this thread! Thanks for sharing this!
I had high hopes that the new AA update would solve this issue, but as we know it's something related to Mercedes.

I have a the non-MBUX larger screen (probably NTG 5.5?), so AFAK the ottocast adapter should work in my car.

Before I proceed with ordering, my AA has just been updated to the new Coolwalk interface. Did anyone try it with the Ottocast adapter? Is it working fine?
@DrExcess @CarFan1 maybe?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2023, 08:59 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Originally Posted by KamalinO
I've been looking for a way to have a fullscreen AA on my W213 E220d 2017 since I got it about 2 years ago, and I can't believe I missed this thread! Thanks for sharing this!
I had high hopes that the new AA update would solve this issue, but as we know it's something related to Mercedes.

I have a the non-MBUX larger screen (probably NTG 5.5?), so AFAK the ottocast adapter should work in my car.

Before I proceed with ordering, my AA has just been updated to the new Coolwalk interface. Did anyone try it with the Ottocast adapter? Is it working fine?
@DrExcess @CarFan1 maybe?

Thanks!
I love the full screen experience and wouldn't trade it for the world. Moving across the AA screen with the jog dial has become 2nd nature even though the Benz isn't my primary. My only complaint and its minor is that the Carsifi wireless unit in the Porsche and the AA Wireless unit in the BMW boot superfast. Like I'm not out of the garage fast. The Ottocast will let me go 3 or 4 blocks from the house before it's fully operating. But does it ever look glorious once it does.
The following users liked this post:
KamalinO (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by CarFan1
I love the full screen experience and wouldn't trade it for the world. Moving across the AA screen with the jog dial has become 2nd nature even though the Benz isn't my primary. My only complaint and its minor is that the Carsifi wireless unit in the Porsche and the AA Wireless unit in the BMW boot superfast. Like I'm not out of the garage fast. The Ottocast will let me go 3 or 4 blocks from the house before it's fully operating. But does it ever look glorious once it does.
That's great, thanks for the feedback.
Have you tried the new Coolwalk interface? If so, does it work properly with the adapter?
Old 02-08-2023, 09:22 PM

To be clear my phone hasn't updated to Coolwalk so I can't give any insight into that and the Ottocast device.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:31 AM

To be clear my phone hasn't updated to Coolwalk so I can't give any insight into that and the Ottocast device.
I understand.
There are some suggested ways to actually "force" update the new AA interface, after reading some posts on Reddit, this is what worked in my case:
1. Download the latest 8.8.6304 android auto APK from apkmirror (I used 8.8.630424-release APK arm64-v8a). Other newer versions might work too.
Android Auto APKs - APKMirror
2. After that I cleared all data from Google Play services (on my Samsung device: Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Services -> Storage -> Manage storage -> Clear All data)

The next morning I had the new UI for AA working.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:14 PM

Well as luck would have it. As soon as I landed in California and got in a rental car my phone decided it was time to turn to CoolWalk! I've already asked two colleagues to let me connect to their car and the portable AA wireless device that I keep in my travel bag doesn't have any effect one way or the other. I assume that means when I get back home I'll be able to see it in the Mercedes using Ottocast.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to create more than 2 panels. Right now I have a large map and a less large music panel. Some screens are 16 X 9 and the two seem proportional -- 60% map and 40% music. But some cars are more square and the two seem to then be 55% - 45% which seems somewhat a waste of real estate. It would be nice if you could squeeze the smaller panel. Maybe you can and I just don't know how.

Also I haven't figured out how to get more panels. Supposedly the smaller panel can split again so that you can have a map and two smaller panels. It would be nice if I could get my calendar or weather or a task widget to always show. Even on a square screen, setting it up so that you can have the Map and two other panels would look more appealing to the eye.

YMMV.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:58 AM

Well as luck would have it. As soon as I landed in California and got in a rental car my phone decided it was time to turn to CoolWalk! I've already asked two colleagues to let me connect to their car and the portable AA wireless device that I keep in my travel bag doesn't have any effect one way or the other. I assume that means when I get back home I'll be able to see it in the Mercedes using Ottocast.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to create more than 2 panels. Right now I have a large map and a less large music panel. Some screens are 16 X 9 and the two seem proportional -- 60% map and 40% music. But some cars are more square and the two seem to then be 55% - 45% which seems somewhat a waste of real estate. It would be nice if you could squeeze the smaller panel. Maybe you can and I just don't know how.

Also I haven't figured out how to get more panels. Supposedly the smaller panel can split again so that you can have a map and two smaller panels. It would be nice if I could get my calendar or weather or a task widget to always show. Even on a square screen, setting it up so that you can have the Map and two other panels would look more appealing to the eye.

YMMV.
That's good to know. Once you're back with the w213 let us know if it works fine with the adapter.
Regarding splitting the panels, that's one of the features of the new UI. I can see sometimes 3 panels (the larger map, a music panel and a panel during calls). With the adapter, i guess the company has to enable and program such features.
It will be interesting to see how the new UI works with the Ottocast adapter, as I'm afraid the music panel will be shown twice - the one filling the extra space added by the adapter, and one after splitting the screen in the original AA window.
I tried contacting the support team, but so far no replies from them, which is now that encouraging.
Keep us updated!

Old 02-18-2023, 10:01 AM

@CarFan1 Any news with the new UI and ottocast adapter?
Old 02-18-2023, 10:50 AM

I haven't gotten back home. Hoping to make it back before March. But as I mentioned AAWireless shows no difference on the screen than plugging in directly. And last week a colleague showed me his vehicle using Carsifi and there was no difference between between it and plugging in. I've ordered one to use with my classic Porsche.

I don't expect any issues but I guess I'll see when I get back home.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:07 AM

I haven't gotten back home. Hoping to make it back before March. But as I mentioned AAWireless shows no difference on the screen than plugging in directly. And last week a colleague showed me his vehicle using Carsifi and there was no difference between between it and plugging in. I've ordered one to use with my classic Porsche.

I don't expect any issues but I guess I'll see when I get back home.
Thanks
I also don't think there won't be any issues, but what I meant is how it will behave with the builtin screen splitting now in the AA update. AFAIK ottocast used Carplay to be able the utilise the screen area nit utilized by AA, and add music player controls. But with the new AA you already have that splitting on the original part of the screen. So I'm wondering, will it show the music player twice and waste viewing area, or will it keep the original screen for the full AA and utilise the extra area through Carplay.

Last edited by KamalinO; 02-19-2023 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 06:58 PM

Thanks
I also don't think there won't be any issues, but what I meant is how it will behave with the builtin screen splitting now in the AA update. AFAIK ottocast used Carplay to be able the utilise the screen area nit utilized by AA, and add music player controls. But with the new AA you already have that splitting on the original part of the screen. So I'm wondering, will it show the music player twice and waste viewing area, or will it keep the original screen for the full AA and utilise the extra area through Carplay.
Made it home yesterday. The Ottocast dongle works fine. Still completely fills the screen on my W213 but now with less sharp edges. The only thing I've noticed is that booting up appears to takes longer than before. But otherwise the screen looks and works the same way as it did on the rental in CA and on our other two vehicles.
KamalinO (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 07:04 PM

Made it home yesterday. The Ottocast dongle works fine. Still completely fills the screen on my W213 but now with less sharp edges. The only thing I've noticed is that booting up appears to takes longer than before. But otherwise the screen looks and works the same way as it did on the rental in CA and on our other two vehicles.
Thanks for letting us know. I wonder what's the cause of the longer bootup.
It's great that it still shows full screen, I guess you'll have to disable the widgets options, otherwise you will have the audio player twice on the screen, one from the new AA widgets feature next to the navigation aoo, and the other from the ottocast split feature.
Would you please upload a photo of it running? I'd love to see how it is looks with the Ottocast dongle especially with a navigation app running.

Last edited by KamalinO; 03-07-2023 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:26 PM

I'm not planning on disabling widgets. I use the same phone in other vehicles and plan to be able to just jump from one to another.

As for a pic.

How's this?
KamalinO (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 08:16 AM

I'm not planning on disabling widgets. I use the same phone in other vehicles and plan to be able to just jump from one to another.

As for a pic.

How's this?
Thanks for the pic.
That looks neat. I see that the icons are on the left, which might mean that Ottocast changed the dpi to make space for the music part. This may explain the slightly distorted view of AA with this method. The icons do not look completely round for example.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
E220d
I got the update of the android auto. I use the cable connection and still have the android logo...
Old 03-10-2023, 04:45 PM

Which vehicle do you have? Are you using a wireless dongle?
Old 03-10-2023, 11:08 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
I got the standard Ottocast and it connected up first time. Partial screen unfortunately but that was expected. What wasn't expected is that my contacts won't load properly, Hi Mercedes does not work for either the phone or Nav, the touch pad won't allow me to select most of the icons on the Waze screen. The touch pad will let me swipe up with two fingers to skip a song but it won't recognize the playing song (it simply says unknown artist) but it will let me skip and restart.

Also, when I answer a call it properly switches over but the volume is way down and I have to raise it up every time, plus when I hang up the media won't start up again. It thinks it is playing (it isn't paused) but I hear nothing regardless of volume adjustment. I just figured out why about an hour ago - you need to hang up the call twice! The first time hangs up but for some reason it still thinks the phone is active. I need to go back into the call (that is still showing up on in the icons on the left) and hang up again for my music to connect back up to the speakers. Is anyone else seeing anything similar?

I can probably live with most of those issues, but the phone contact issues really sucks. I don't think I can live with that. I tried a firmware update (that took 30 damn minutes) but no joy.

The only thing I really want to use is Waze. Pretty much everything else works better with the regular Bluetooth to the car. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to not use Ottocast, and then turning it on quickly for Waze, that doesn't involve unplugging the damn thing every time?
Old 03-11-2023, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ddeliber
I got the standard Ottocast and it connected up first time. Partial screen unfortunately but that was expected. What wasn't expected is that my contacts won't load properly, Hi Mercedes does not work for either the phone or Nav, the touch pad won't allow me to select most of the icons on the Waze screen. The touch pad will let me swipe up with two fingers to skip a song but it won't recognize the playing song (it simply says unknown artist) but it will let me skip and restart.

Also, when I answer a call it properly switches over but the volume is way down and I have to raise it up every time, plus when I hang up the media won't start up again. It thinks it is playing (it isn't paused) but I hear nothing regardless of volume adjustment. I just figured out why about an hour ago - you need to hang up the call twice! The first time hangs up but for some reason it still thinks the phone is active. I need to go back into the call (that is still showing up on in the icons on the left) and hang up again for my music to connect back up to the speakers. Is anyone else seeing anything similar?

I can probably live with most of those issues, but the phone contact issues really sucks. I don't think I can live with that. I tried a firmware update (that took 30 damn minutes) but no joy.

The only thing I really want to use is Waze. Pretty much everything else works better with the regular Bluetooth to the car. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to not use Ottocast, and then turning it on quickly for Waze, that doesn't involve unplugging the damn thing every time?
What do you mean by standard ottocast? Which model is it?
Old 03-11-2023, 08:35 AM

What do you mean by standard ottocast? Which model is it?
U2-X pro :
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-11-2023, 08:43 AM

And which year?
Old 03-11-2023, 09:35 AM

And which year?
2023 - Amazon shows several but only two of them explicitly state 2023 and I chose the one with the most comments.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:08 AM

And by 2023 you mean you have a 2023 W213 with MBUX correct?
Old 03-11-2023, 11:35 AM

And by 2023 you mean you have a 2023 W213 with MBUX correct?
oh, no, I have a 2021 e450. It is in my sig, that is why I thought you meant Ottocast version.
Old 03-11-2023, 12:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I've said it before I'll say it again...this is probably the best and cleanest option on the market. Plus it doesn't limit you, you get the full function of a tablet. I get more live channels in my car than 95% of the population does in their homes with my Xfinity service.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Android Auto On E 300