E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Hermes Module install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 E53 Cabriolet, 2021 E53 Sedan
Hermes Module install

I recently had my Hermes module installed on my 2021 E53 sedan that was missing at delivery.

I took my car to Mercedes of Morristown in NJ who did the install BUT told me they could not activate it as I didn’t buy the car there!

Does this sound right? It can’t be, can it?
Old 08-05-2022, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 589 Likes on 447 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by pfelsen
I recently had my Hermes module installed on my 2021 E53 sedan that was missing at delivery.

I took my car to Mercedes of Morristown in NJ who did the install BUT told me they could not activate it as I didn’t buy the car there!

Does this sound right? It can’t be, can it?
Like you I am confused:

Was this a trial run my Mercedes of Morristown to see if they could install the Hermes module?

Why would Mercedes of Morristown install the Hermes module and then tell you you cannot use it?
Old 08-05-2022, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 E53 Cabriolet, 2021 E53 Sedan
I took my car there because it was closer to my home than the dealer I purchased the car from originally.

Morristown installed the module under a recall but refused to activate it or program it in any way…..”you didn’t buy the car here”
Old 08-05-2022, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,884 Likes on 2,599 Posts
2019 C63CS
I'm guessing this has to do with the waiver you signed and the credit that was given. The initial subscription to Mercedes me connect is part of the purchase of the vehicle, so I'm assuming that has to be handled by the actual selling dealer. Under normal circumstances the initial activation of the services is always performed by the selling dealer. The sales person sets it up and activates the services. Ownership of the car has to be established via sales records I assume.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,884 Likes on 2,599 Posts
2019 C63CS
Just to add. The service campaign itself doesn't say anything that it has to be the selling dealership, however the activation is done by the sales department as I said, not the service department. So the Morristown sales department may simply refuse to do the work, because they didn't get any commission from your purchase, so they don't owe you anything, nor do they have a relationship with you. I mean I do have to say if I was a sales person at Morristown, why would I take time out of my day to activate your services if you didn't give me your business in the first place.

It is recommended the Mercedes me connect services should be activated by the sales department using the Mmc Activation Best Practices. A separate NCU communication will be sent to the Sales Department informing them about the benefits of activating services.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-05-2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:58 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Maybe I might activate it because I'd like for you to come buy your car from my dealership next time?? It would be extremely shortsighted if a salesman wouldn't activate because I didn't buy my car from them.

A few years back I ordered a Porsche and picked it up in Atlanta. I called the nearest dealer by my house and said I'd like to use them as my primary servicer. They promptly gave me a email coupon offering the first service free at their dealer -- an option that normally they might give to a pre-existing customer.

It left a great impression on me. And when I got ready for a replacement I went right to them.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
21 E450 Wagon and 07 SL55
My Hermes module was installed by a different dealer than I had bought my car from and they activated it during the install so it was fully functional.