Scraping noise cause?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220
Scraping noise cause?

Hi All,

First time posting on here and hoping to get some advice. I have a E220 Estate from 2015, I think it's the W213 - not too sure with all the codes but the front grill looks more like it than the W212. Anyway, bought the car back in 2018 and with average miles on it and not had an issue up until about 6 months ago. I needed to replace the disks and pads on all 4 wheels so booked it in a had it all done. Noticed straight away coming out of the garage a scraping noise from what appeared to be the front driver side wheel, but I didn't think too much of it and put it down to the pads needing to wear in. So after around 3000 miles since then, the noise is still there.

To explain the noise a bit better, it's not a constant noise, but it seems you hear it with each revolution of the wheel and obviously is more frequent when going faster. You can only hear it when the window is open, but going in a straight line it's only heard when braking, but you can hear it when turning without the brakes applied. I did a quick search online and found discussions about a similar issue presenting itself after having breaks/pads changed where the shield behind the wheel got bent and was catching. I'm not in a position to be able to lift my vehicle up and get the wheel off myself, and wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway. I can reach inside the wheel and flex the shield, but without knowing what I'm doing I could be making it worse. But after having a mess with it, the noise does sound noticably different but is still there.

I called up the garage earlier this week and got it booked in and explained everything as above. They've taken it in and handed it me back explaing that they found the issue that it was a build up of brake dust. Instantly I'm doubting this because the noise was there when they put them on fresh 6 months ago. When I questiong it, he said he hadn't looked at it himself but thats what the technicians have said. They didn't charge me anything, so I thought at least I can call them back if it's still there. I drove away, and guess what, it's still there. Before I take it back to them again (the drop off and pickup being a pain with having to do it around work and my kids) what could this be?
Old 08-06-2022, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,465 Likes on 2,308 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
pads leaping rotors

This noise may not be harmful if the caliper slide PINS were lubricated during service as they should.

pad springs examples

There are brake pad SPRINGS available to help keep pads away from disks when brakes are released - See above reference picture.

These springs are unlikely standard Benz items and dealer is not going to sway from published procedures... hello indie or DIY forum

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-06-2022 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
This noise may not be harmful if the caliper slide PINS were lubricated during service as they should.

pad springs examples

There are brake pad SPRINGS available to help keep pads away from disks when brakes are released - See above reference picture.

These springs are unlikely standard Benz items and dealer is not going to sway from published procedures... hello indie or DIY forum
Thanks for your reply. So are you saying that the pads are being being applied to the disc even when I'm not braking? And that I need a spring like you're suggesting to fix it? With this happening after new pads and discs were installed, is this something the technician has failed to properly put back together?
Old 08-06-2022, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,465 Likes on 2,308 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
new squeaky brake job

Originally Posted by Kineas
Thanks for your reply. So are you saying that the pads are being being applied to the disc even when I'm not braking? And that I need a spring like you're suggesting to fix it?

With this happening after new pads and discs were installed, is this something the technician has failed to properly put back together?
All cars don't come with the best options.
I wouldn't say the MB factory trained technician entirely failed your brake job.

I would say dealer failed twice at making you new brakes not squeak.

Sadly I don't think a 3rd visit is going to get your basic customers needs better served.

Go somewhere else to fix your car 👍

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-06-2022 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drose224 (08-07-2022)