Here I go again...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 06:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz E450 4Matic
Here I go again...

Day 1

Day 4... Figuring out what I have to work with and my free space.

Always tearing my brand new cars apart.

Realizing that I don't have the MB optical and they returned to the coaxial system. I have the MBUX with the entry Burmester system. Was originally going to go with the MoBridge interface and DSP. I thought I could intercept the signal before amplification and convert to Toslink while keeping the factory amp and speakers while providing the optical out to my JL VXi 1000/1 amp that would power a JL Audio 12W 7. Spoke with Frazer at MoBridge who is the head tech guy.

MoBridge is a all or nothing affair. Which I am not at the point of going just yet My car is mine and paid off. 8 years full warranty. I plan on keeping it for atleast that long. I have a JL Audio HD 600/4 amp and would need to add another just to power in the factory speakers. Then I also have a JL HD 1200/1. That would mean I would be running three amplifiers in total. They are extremely efficient for the output.

Started adding my usual sound treatment through out the entire trunk. Matting in multiple layers. And liquid at all the seams and hard to mat areas. I use liquid second skin under all plastics as well as matting doesn't work well ever for installing there usually.

For now I believe I will be using either the JL LOC 22 and grabbing the signal for the factory subs. Not what I like to do at all as that signal is processed and EQd already. Makes for less then ideal output it's been quite some time since I've gone this route. I've been looking at the Epicenter from Audio Control. Not sold as I understand at what is does and how. I really would prefer to grab and splice into the Coaxial signal and get a full bandwidth signal and use the JL VXi onboard processor

My neighbors think I am insane all the time . I just tore my Escalade apart completely. Dash and all. That thing kicked my *** royally. Just the shear volume. Lots of Dynamat....

Do I use this?? Or go with the HD for now.. I am undecided still. I really want to go optical into here but haven't found a proper Converter/Interface that aligns with my vision.

I use welding leads from a local manufacturer and have for years now. Temco. I use a 20 ton crimper. Solder the ends as MB does as well. For the factory stuff I crimp ferrules as opposed to just bare wire into terminals. 0 gauge for power and grounds. I ground to the chassis always.

Stopped using fuses long again. Spark proof breakers are priceless.

Trunk is looking good!

I ordered this after tons of measurements. Tried to get into trunk a couple times. Not yet successful. I'll get it. Even if I have to start cutting metal. I am pretty close and still have a few things I can remove that should give me just enough room to get it in.
The following 4 users liked this post by MackinCali:
CarFan1 (09-23-2022), Lanzz (09-26-2022), Senecat (09-25-2022), velryba (09-28-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 770 Likes on 749 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W213 forum...
Old 09-25-2022, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 529 Likes on 354 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
removed

Last edited by Senecat; 09-25-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 529 Likes on 354 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
removed

Last edited by Senecat; 09-25-2022 at 10:41 PM.