E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Would say 2018 E300 reliable car to be driven over 10 years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 600 Likes on 455 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh25
What is wrong with a 3rd party warranty? I thought this is common for used cars.
I have a quote from MB for a 3 year 75,000 mile extended warranty of $2200 on my 2019 E450. That was about $1000 less than a third party.

I see no reason to spend more on a third party vs. a MB extended warranty.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-class
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
OP, thank you for your question.

Not sure where you are from but if you are from the USA, ask for a copy of the VMI (vehicle master inquiry) as it details every single work that was done under warranty at an authorized dealership. If you are from somewhere else like Canada, they consider that information confidential, it is still possible to obtain one but you have to have connections I believe to obtain such information.

As others mentioned the E-Class is relatively reliable and also as mentioned by others, there are some cases of cracked piston for the M274 engine used in a certain model year range of GLC/C 300, E 300. Reasons unknown although it isn't guaranteed to happen.

You could consider (if you can stretch your budget) an 2017-2018 E 400, or even E 450 (starting 2019), or if you want, consider the 2019 E 350 with the M264 (no known issues of cracked piston, maybe MB fixed the issue?), the facelift E-Class 2020 E 350 has the same M264.

Since you mentioned you will be asking your mechanic to check the vehicle, while at it, make sure it is a full PPI (pre-purchase inspection).
It would cost me another $3600 USD get 2017 E400 without Auto-intelligent packge.
2017 E400 32K miles preminum package (auto-parking) vs 2018 E300 60K miles preminum + auto intelligent package.
I'm not sure if the less mileage is worth the money. It is almost half difference in KM.

Last edited by RandyMarsh25; 10-07-2022 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:20 PM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by JTK44
Just my $.02:

Doing routine maintenance preserves the engine, oil and filter + spark plugs: the transmission, transmission service: and brakes, changing the brake fluid. The balance of the maintenance are filters.

Everything else that might break, from suspension, cooling, interior parts, electronics and everything else, doing routine maintenance will not prevent any of these parts from failing or breaking.

So you come down to this: is a Mercedes reliable enough so that an extended warranty does not make financial sense?

Everyone who has ever driven a car knows that eventually things break on a car and if driven long enough almost everything will have broken and will have been replaced.

From my experience electronics are either good or bad: they either break in the first six months or last forever.

The rest are mechanical parts whether they are window lifts or suspension or hoses. In today's modern cars those items tend to last 50,000 miles to 75,000 miles.

If you intend to keep your car beyond 75,000 miles, then an extended warranty might make financial sense. If less, probably not.

Last week I started a thread about experiences with extended warranties: To date there have been over 200 visits but only two responses: One was a problem at 61,000 miles with an AMG engine, the other the problem was not described but the poster said he intended to keep his car 100K miles.

This leads me to conclude that most are not buying an extended warranty and are happy with their decision.

Hopes this helps.
There is no doubt that doing routine maintenance will not prevent parts from failing or breaking. Parts fail, break, reach their end of life -- both from use, and over time. It happens. Simple scientific fact. However, trying to answer the question -- is a Mercedes reliable enough so that an extended warranty does not make financial sense -- is not a quantifiable, answerable question. It's a simple to each their own, comfort, risk, etc. It's nothing more than risk management. As far as "the electronics are either good or bad: they either break in the first six months or last forever." -- no disrespect, while that may be your personal experience, there is no scientific data or proof that will back that up. If it's your experience it's a small sampling. My experience is the opposite, and is also the same; meaningless.

While I agree with you -- if you intend to keep your car beyond 75,000 miles, then an extended warranty might make financial sense -- I can hear people opposing and arguing that all day long. You and I simply disagree with them. I absolutely accept that most people who don't buy the extended warranty are happy with their decision -- and they are probably has happy with their decision as I am with mine to buy it. LOL.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by BoMB
. However, trying to answer the question -- is a Mercedes reliable enough so that an extended warranty does not make financial sense -- is not a quantifiable, answerable question..
Actually it is quite quantifiable: You take the cost of the extended warranty, plus tax and use of money: that is a fixed amount. Then you take a broad sampling of owners and see what their cost beyond routine maintenance are: You compare the two and you have your answer.

As I posted, I started a thread several weeks ago asking for owners with extended warranties whether it made financial sense or not. While there have been over 275 views, to date there have been only two replies - (just checked you were not one of the two). If people who bought the extended warranty thought it was a good buy they would have posted.

I think the fair conclusion is that the extended warranty has not been bought by most and their are quite satisfied with their decision.

see: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ial-sense.html

As far as "the electronics are either good or bad: they either break in the first six months or last forever." -- no disrespect, while that may be your personal experience, there is no scientific data or proof that will back that up. If it's your experience it's a small sampling. My experience is the opposite, and is also the same; meaningless..
No disrespect taken. I think we have all owned a TV, Computer and even a car, where in the first six months the electronics continue to go wrong and/or break. I think we all call this a "lemon". On the other hand all of us have products that work from day one and never seem to break. The electronics in a car are no different.

While I agree with you -- if you intend to keep your car beyond 75,000 miles, then an extended warranty might make financial sense -- I can hear people opposing and arguing that all day long. You and I simply disagree with them. I absolutely accept that most people who don't buy the extended warranty are happy with their decision -- and they are probably has happy with their decision as I am with mine to buy it. LOL.
To quantify, what did you pay for your extended warranty with tax, and so far what issues have been taken care of under the extended warranty?

Old 10-12-2022, 02:47 PM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Actually it is quite quantifiable: You take the cost of the extended warranty, plus tax and use of money: that is a fixed amount. Then you take a broad sampling of owners and see what their cost beyond routine maintenance are: You compare the two and you have your answer.
First, that's not accurate. Second, it's a fallacious exercise. Third, you haven't quantified the real probability. A broad sampling doesn't do it. Risk management is a science. You are trying to exponentially oversimplifying. In risk management, there is a "point of diminishing return" on cost/premium dollars. At that point, you begin to self-insurance" and this is very quantifiable.

However, anyone can go through this exercise and make their decision if they so choose.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First, that's not accurate. Second, it's a fallacious exercise. Third, you haven't quantified the real probability. A broad sampling doesn't do it. Risk management is a science. You are trying to exponentially oversimplifying. In risk management, there is a "point of diminishing return" on cost/premium dollars. At that point, you begin to self-insurance" and this is very quantifiable.

However, anyone can go through this exercise and make their decision if they so choose.
The most important question posed which you did not answer:

What did the extended warranty cost and have you used it? Or to date, has it been a waste of money?

Old 10-12-2022, 03:07 PM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
As I posted, I started a thread several weeks ago asking for owners with extended warranties whether it made financial sense or not. While there have been over 275 views, to date there have been only two replies - (just checked you were not one of the two). If people who bought the extended warranty thought it was a good buy they would have posted.

I think the fair conclusion is that the extended warranty has not been bought by most and their are quite satisfied with their decision.
see: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ial-sense.html
Whether 2 or 200 answered, they are incidental and circumstantial. Not authoritative. Flip a coin 99 times and it comes up heads. Flip it one more time, the odds are still 50/50 on the 100th flip. The first 99 mean nothing. It's really a fallacious argument, except in hindsight. Personally, I wouldn't argue with anyone who makes either decision. All good points though -- thanks!
Old 10-12-2022, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whether 2 or 200 answered, they are incidental and circumstantial. Not authoritative. Flip a coin 99 times and it comes up heads. Flip it one more time, the odds are still 50/50 on the 100th flip. The first 99 mean nothing. It's really a fallacious argument, except in hindsight. Personally, I wouldn't argue with anyone who makes either decision. All good points though -- thanks!

I notice a reluctance on your part to disclose:
  • the cost of your extended warranty; and
  • whether you have used it.

Real life experience would help the rest of us, at least for me it would, as to whether the extended warranty in general and in particular the one you bought, makes financial sense. While your experience may be a "one off", it is still better than guessing and pure speculation.

Hope you feel comfortable answering.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-15-2023)
Old 10-12-2022, 03:22 PM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
The most important question posed which you did not answer:

What did the extended warranty cost and have you used it? Or to date, has it been a waste of money?
I bought the MB warranty -- NOT a third party -- and I think I paid about $2000 (for the three years, to adjunct what was left on the original and the CPO). I obviously haven't had to use it as I still have the original and the CPO. All repairs to date have been covered by one of those two, a service recall, or simply not covered by anything at all! LOL.

Old 10-12-2022, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I bought the MB warranty -- NOT a third party -- and I think I paid about $2000 (for the three years, to adjunct what was left on the original and the CPO). I obviously haven't had to use it as I still have the original and the CPO. All repairs to date have been covered by one of those two, a service recall, or simply not covered by anything at all! LOL.
As I posted, I only considered extended warranty from MB, not a third party. I was quoted $2200 + tax, 3 years 75,000 miles, from two MB dealers for my 2019 E450.

I have owned my car from day one and as I posted the only repair was a replacement of the intelligent lighting switch at about 2000 miles. Otherwise trouble free.

Unless you pulled the VIN before purchase and checked what if any work was done on your CPO, you are "flying blind" as to what other work and/or problems your car may have had. Your car may have been trouble free or not. Not knowing, an extended warranty might make sense.

Your situation is different than most others, who are the original owners, as I am, and are approaching the end of the warranty period and must decided whether or not an extended warranty makes financial sense.

When my car came off of lease I decided to buy it. It has been trouble free. If it was not, I would not have bought it, it being a "lemon".

Last edited by JTK44; 10-12-2022 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:48 PM

2018 E300 4Matic Sport
As I posted, I only considered extended warranty from MB, not a third party. I was quoted $2200 + tax, 3 years 75,000 miles, from two MB dealers for my 2019 E450.

I have owned my car from day one and as I posted the only repair was a replacement of the intelligent lighting switch at about 2000 miles. Otherwise trouble free.

Unless you pulled the VIN before purchase and checked what if any work was done on your CPO, you are "flying blind" as to what other work and/or problems your car may have had. Your car may have been trouble free or not. Not knowing, an extended warranty might make sense.

Your situation is different than most others, who are the original owners, as I am, and are approaching the end of the warranty period and must decided whether or not an extended warranty makes financial sense.

When my car came off of lease I decided to buy it. It has been trouble free. If it was not, I would not have bought it, it being a "lemon".
I bought mine used and CPO. The dealer had ALL service records, very detailed, and the previous owner did a great job with service, mandatory, and optional. They sold the car new, serviced it, and took it back from the guy. I'd buy another car from this guy again! LOL. I only bought the warranty because that's me, LOL. I drive, add gas, and bring the car for service. That's it. Period. Plus, as well as it was maintained, like you said, who knows. I can't control the cards I get, but I am in control of how I play the hand, LOL.

When I got new cars from MB, and I planned on keeping it more than 5 years, I bought the extended warranty. It's transferrable and it's a selling point. Who knows, maybe it means nothing. When I leased cars from MB, I didn't buy it. Why would I, LOL. Like I said, I wouldn't argue with the person who does buy it, or the person who doesn't. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:36 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
German cars are scary without a warranty

I bought my 2019 E300 4matic in April not knowing about the piston issue (my stupidity for not checking) but I did cough up the cash for a third party warranty (even though it had only 19,000 miles on it Mercedes wouldn’t do extended warranty or CPO because of the age. The warranty will cover repair expenses up to the price I paid for the car. After reading some of the posts about piston #1 in the M274 engine I’m glad I did!
chassis (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 818 Likes on 649 Posts
I bought a new '18 E300 in July 2017 and other than a couple of issues when delivered (weak door hinges replaced, ...) I have done nothing more than scheduled maintenance. The car is a couple weeks short of 6 years old. I expect this car's EOL will match my own EOL.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 299 Posts
EQ
As a data point, when my 2018 E400 was end of lease, I bought it out. At that time I paid ~3350 for the 3/100 extended warranty. I never used it. What I paid for was peace of mind. Extended warranties exist for a reason, they make the issuer a lot of money. In general, cars are built so well now they know you won't likely need the warranty. Simple numbers game. For that one out of a hundred person that bought the warranty and their engine blew, money well spent!
The following 2 users liked this post by teksurv:
chassis (06-17-2023), Roweraay (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 05:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,003 Likes on 3,145 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by teksurv
As a data point, when my 2018 E400 was end of lease, I bought it out. At that time I paid ~3350 for the 3/100 extended warranty. I never used it. What I paid for was peace of mind. Extended warranties exist for a reason, they make the issuer a lot of money. In general, cars are built so well now they know you won't likely need the warranty. Simple numbers game. For that one out of a hundred person that bought the warranty and their engine blew, money well spent!
On your sample size of one, you are correct. Furthermore you bought the most reliable E-Class version, a M276-engined model. The four banger E300 and V8 E550/E63 have far more problems and far more expensive problems. Your experience is unsurprising, and it has turned out well for you so far.
juanmor40 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 12:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,721 Likes on 2,315 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by chassis
On your sample size of one, you are correct. Furthermore you bought the most reliable E-Class version, a M276-engined model. The four banger E300 and V8 E550/E63 have far more problems and far more expensive problems. Your experience is unsurprising, and it has turned out well for you so far.
That is a great reason as well.
chassis (06-20-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 299 Posts
EQ
Originally Posted by chassis
For sure, I read about the engines before I purchased. Now I have an EQ, God help me
Old 06-17-2023, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
The M276 V6 engine also have some issues such as High pressure fuel pump, tendency for Carbon build-up, Timing chain tensioner and Plugs & coils fouling up. I would say both the M274 I4 engine and M276 engines are above average in reliability and both engines are extremely fuel efficient.
DeutscheBenz726 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 12:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by The G Man
The M276 V6 engine also have some issues such as High pressure fuel pump, tendency for Carbon build-up, Timing chain tensioner and Plugs & coils fouling up. I would say both the M274 I4 engine and M276 engines are above average in reliability and both engines are extremely fuel efficient.
I guess the M256 was never introduced without the 48V mild hybrid, such a shame because the M256 might be able to compete if not reliability then at least in the fuel efficient department (sure the M256 with the 48V mild hybrid is more fuel efficient than M276 but it is not a fair comparison with the 48V mild hybrid system keeping the engine off when coasting for example and off when stopped if auto/start stop is on)
The smoothness of inline-6s is a huge bonus as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
chassis (06-18-2023), LMinn (06-18-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I guess the M256 was never introduced without the 48V mild hybrid, such a shame because the M256 might be able to compete if not reliability then at least in the fuel efficient department (sure the M256 with the 48V mild hybrid is more fuel efficient than M276 but it is not a fair comparison with the 48V mild hybrid system keeping the engine off when coasting for example and off when stopped if auto/start stop is on)
The smoothness of inline-6s is a huge bonus as well.
The lastest JD Power reliability report shows Mercedes near bottom, reliability has been on a downward trend for the last 5 to 6 years.
chassis (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 10:00 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
The lastest JD Power reliability report shows Mercedes near bottom, reliability has been on a downward trend for the last 5 to 6 years.

it is not the same company that I invested in in 1980.
chassis (06-20-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only E class that I had reliability issues with was a 2003 E500. It had standard air suspension that was very expensive to repair. Even so it lasted 5 years. My record was a 1977 300D (5 cyl) purchased new and driven about 50,000 miles per year for over 14 years without any repairs other than normal maintenance items - battery, brakes, tires, lubrication. It was a commuter driven between Clearwater, Ft. Meyers and return 5 days per week. Overall the E class cars are the most reliable Mercedes cars built thanks to their taxicab heritage.

Last edited by ua549; 06-21-2023 at 09:37 AM.
CarFan1 (11-07-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by ua549
The only E class that I had reliability issues with was a 2003 E500. It had standard air suspension that was very expensive to repair. Even so it lasted 5 years. My record was a 1977 300D (5 cyl) purchased new and driven about 50,000 miles per year for over 14 years without any repairs other than normal maintenance items - battery, brakes, tires, lubrication. It was a commuter driven between Clearwater, Ft. Meyers and return 5 days per week. Overall the E class cars are the most reliable Mercedes cars built thanks to their taxicab heritage.
50,000 miles per year for over 14 years without any repairs is amazing, that is 700,000 miles without any fail components. I had a friend who ran a old E class diesel pass 400,000 miles which I thought was pretty incredible. I would imagine the bare bone Mercedes taxis cabs in Europe are still pretty reliable unlike its option up American counterparts.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was going for a million miles, but my client base expanded and I switched to air travel.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

I see....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would say 2018 E300 reliable car to be driven over 10 years